What Is The Effect Of A Shorter Leadpipe On Pitch

GBP

What Is The Effect Of A Shorter Leadpipe On Pitch

Post by GBP »

I have been experimenting in ways to raise the pitch on a trombone I bought. I have tried a dozen different mouthpieces with very little change. I happen to try my Brass Lab Jenks 2nd leadpipe, which is shorter than the Edwards pipes and the pitch came up. Does leadpipe length effect pitch?
Burgerbob

Re: What Is The Effect Of A Shorter Leadpipe On Pitch

Post by Burgerbob »

It may make the slots wider, which means you can play higher on the pitch more easily. That doesn't seem like long term solution, though.

What's the horn?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GBP

Post by GBP »

It is a 502i. It is a solution. I have been playing on the Jenks pipe for like 13 plus years. The slide is pulled out the same amount as my Greenhoe, which a good amount. What I am wondering is what part of the design of that leadpipe makes it different than the Edwards pipes. I haven’t tried MV pipes in the horn yet. It will be interesting to see what occurs.
GBP

Post by GBP »

The other thought is that the Jenks pipe allows the mouthpiece to sit lower in the pipe than Edwards pipes.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Is that just a thought or have you looked?
That's the only thing that really makes sense. I think the pipe being shorter wouldn't in itself bring the pitch up. It might change the pitch of some notes or range, but probably not overall.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
GBP

Post by GBP »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am Is that just a thought or have you looked?
That's the only thing that really makes sense. I think the pipe being shorter wouldn't in itself bring the pitch up. It might change the pitch of some notes or range, but probably not overall.
I have looked. There is a noticeable difference. Is it possible to widen a pipe so that the mouthpiece sits lower?
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

A few random thoughts...

The length of the leadpipe shouldn’t affect the pitch much. It will affect the timbre and slotting, though, which are closely related to intonation and pitch.

On the other hand, adding a screw-on collar will almost certainly affect the pitch a little, making the horn slightly flat overall. I’m not sure, but aren’t the 502i’s designed with a screw-on collar? (Perhaps Edwards compensated for the extra 1/4” by subtracting 1/4” from the hand slide or t-slide...?)

Perhaps the Jenks leadpipes aren’t optimal for use in the 502i. Some leadpipes work well with some horns, while others don’t. Do you have problems with pitch using the supplied leadpipes?

I would advise caution if you want to pursue modifying your existing Jenks leadpipes. If they are unique or no longer made, then maybe they’re irreplaceable. If you do decide to adjust the mouthpiece receiver portion of the leadpipe, perhaps Benn Hanssen could help. He’s in your area.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Possible to modify but not practical and I wouldn't advise it.

For my mouthpieces I can make the taper smaller to go in farther.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 am A few random thoughts...

The length of the leadpipe shouldn’t affect the pitch much. It will affect the timbre and slotting, though, which are closely related to intonation and pitch.

On the other hand, adding a screw-on collar will almost certainly affect the pitch a little, making the horn slightly flat overall. I’m not sure, but aren’t the 502i’s designed with a screw-on collar? (Perhaps Edwards compensated for the extra 1/4” by subtracting 1/4” from the hand slide or t-slide...?)

Perhaps the Jenks leadpipes aren’t optimal for use in the 502i. Some leadpipes work well with some horns, while others don’t. Do you have problems with pitch using the supplied leadpipes?

I would advise caution if you want to pursue modifying your existing Jenks leadpipes. If they are unique or no longer made, then maybe they’re irreplaceable. If you do decide to adjust the mouthpiece receiver portion of the leadpipe, perhaps Benn Hanssen could help. He’s in your area.
All of my horns have the threaded Edwards leadpipe. What is interesting is that my Edwards CRE plays on the high side for me. I have the tuning slide out a ways on that horn. Also, some of this might just be acclimation. I had the tuning slide shortened. We will see what happens. It is a great sounding horn.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Thinking some more on this, I might start looking at some mouthpieces with a cup that is more shallow than what I am currently using.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

A shallower cup might produce higher pitch, but also might not.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm A shallower cup might produce higher pitch, but also might not.
Is there anything mouthpiece wise to maybe look at that might help? I am beginning to think that there might not be a single solution. I would really like to find a solution that uses widely available equipment.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The length of the leadpipe alone does not change the pitch of the horn, that's a thing I know.

When I bought my Yamaha 891Z it came with two leadpipes one short and one long. One was the Andy Martin pipe and the other Wycliffe Gordon. The pitch is the same, the sound is the same. The only thing that changes is the feel. I was a bit dissepointed that the difference wasn't bigger as I thought one horn and two leadpipes was as having two different horns. I ordered a seamed copper pipe by Noah Gladstone that made the horn slot better and also added a bit of warmth. I have several horns with more than one leadpipe. No leadpipe I have has changed the tuning of the horn. Intonation is another question. I don't know about that, it is possible. I haven't thought about it.

If you use a very large (deep) mouthpiece the horn plays flat so you could try smaller (shallow).

The best way to raise the pitch of the horn is to cut the tuning slide. It must be done by an expert.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Yes, I had the tuning slide cut. I was interested in finding an alternative to bring the pitch up. Looking if a slightly different equipment would cause the pitch to rise. It is probably fine. I will see if it becomes a problem.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Is your 502 slide longer than a standard Edwards slide?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GBP

Post by GBP »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm Is your 502 slide longer than a standard Edwards slide?
You know, you might be right about that. I will have to measure it tomorrow.

Return to “Accessories”