keeping new mute in

JohntheTheologian

keeping new mute in

Post by JohntheTheologian »

I just bought a new JoRal cup mute for the Yamaha 322R bass bone that I started playing and the sound is great, but the mute has a tendency to slip out occasionally unless I twist it in rather tightly.

Since it's not always possible to do this, I was wondering if anyone knew of anything slightly tacky to put on the corks of the mute to keep it from slipping out so easily.

I don't want to file or rough up the corks without knowing what I'm doing,
norbie2018

Re: keeping new mute in

Post by norbie2018 »

Moisten the corks before you play with your spray bottle; this usually does the trick.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Beeswax was the traditional choice.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

A soft wax should work. Perhaps even lip balm. Not having a trigger, I just use a hand.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Apply some lubricant (beeswax, lip balm, tuning slide grease), insert the mute into the bell, and leave it overnight. Remove the mute in the morning, and wipe the corks and the inside of the bell.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
ShermanKNTO

Post by ShermanKNTO »

Iv'e seen Trumpet players lick the corks of the mute before they play (not very appealing) and others blow warm air into the bell. I blow warm air onto the corks (condensation from breath) before I use my mutes.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Long ago someone suggested rosin from a pitcher's bag.

I had one handy so I tried.

It works really well, nice and tacky. BUT! The squeak from twisting the mute in was louder than the clang on the floor when it falls out. I guess there's a reason string players put it on the bow.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I squirt the corks with water, but for brand new corks, you might hit them with some medium grit sandpaper to rough up the surface a little.
sterb225

Post by sterb225 »

The lick is effective (keep that mute bag clean ... yuck) or warm breath after it's a bit more conditioned.

Return to “Accessories”