best practise mute-which one

LOJZ

best practise mute-which one

Post by LOJZ »

Hello to everybody
Please,if you can share your ideas about that,which practise mute
is kind the best on the market.
I had in the past Denis Wich mute, Yamaha silent brass, and now I have Best brass.
Best brass is great,because i can have it in the bell also for store,but I have fell,that it gives still much back pressure.
So,searching for kind of less back pressure mute.
THANKS for your opinions
sacfxdx

Re: best practise mute-which one

Post by sacfxdx »

If you don't need electronics then try this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Humes-Berg-167-S ... B001JN01XI
Steve
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Wallace Brass is excellent, but heavy. Good intonation, less resistance.

I haven’t tried the TrumCor mutes, but have heard positive reviews from other players.

The SofTone mutes are only moderately effective. They tend towards spotty intonation and slotting problems in the middle and upper registers. They work well as an ad hoc bucket mute when draped over the bell.

Through some experimentation, I found that a Wick mute with a foam ring about 1” thick and 1” wide is pretty effective. The foam ring goes over the top of the mute. It should touch the bell, but not cover the holes in the side of the mute.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Of all the practice mutes I've ever used the H&B Mannie Klein is positively the worst. It is stuffy, has lousy intonation, and is heavy.

There is no free lunch out there. every practice mute will have some kind of limitation. Depends on what you want it for.

I like the Yamaha with electronics because I can make it sound like I don't have a mute. But you said you don't want electronics.

There is an analog mute called "Peacemaker" that uses a stethoscope to transfer sound to your ears. I think I had the French Horn version and used it on my bass trombone.

Most of the practice mutes I've played had some problems, especially at the edges of your range.

No practice mute is a good substitute for practicing open at least some of the time.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I like the (new) Yamaha best for tenor. You can get them without the electronics, I think, although I like the electronics. For bass I use a Shhhmute (the old Yamaha "bowling pin" works for bass). I've had a Wallace, which just felt funny to play. Ok for warming up and getting the feel of buzzing on the horn, not much else. I don't use the H&B.
Keith

Post by Keith »

The best that I've used is the Bremner sssssshhhhhh mute.

For me it has less back pressure than the others and plays more in tune. They're also relatively cheap.

I've got Wallace, Best Brass and Silent Brass as well, but prefer the Bremner.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I have a Peacemaker. I use it every day. (it holds my cleaning rod upright.) It had good sound reduction but is nose heavy and bulky in my bag.

I am lucky to have neighbors on both side who don't complain when I play loudly in the basement, so my practice mute needs are only for a considerate warmup at rehearsal. For that, I use a 99 cent Renuzit.

Now if you want something that looks a little more professional, download the file for the practice mute one of our members donated, and 3D print it at the local library. Or if you have a friend at a school, tech center, engineering lab, etc, there are lots of places to print. Home Depot even does it at some locations but you have to pay.

Return to “Accessories”