Neck guard

JLivi

Neck guard

Post by JLivi »

I've used a couple of different things to protect my skin and clothes, specifically white collared shirts, from my unlacquered neck pipe. What do you use to protect yourself from your neckpipe? I'd love to have a more permanent option that isn't lacquering that part of the horn (which I have thought about). Here are my experiences with the things I've tried.

Leather neck guard
My issue with this is that after a night of playing I would also be left with a black stain on the collar of my white shirt. I got tired of having to dry clean my shirt after every gig.

Plastic tubing
This was better from a cleaning standpoint, but it stretches out over time. It comes in 10' of tubing and it's wrapped in a circle, so sometimes it's difficult to straighten.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BGuttman

Re: Neck guard

Post by BGuttman »

They used to sell Celluloid "coil" collar savers. I have one on my 1964 Holton Stratodyne that I believe its first owner bought at the same time as the horn. It still works.

I've also used plastic vinyl tubing. It's a lot more flexible. I believe the size I used was 1/2" ID and I just slit it lengthwise.

I've seen bicycle handle bar and tennis racket tape used; wrapped in a spiral. Not easy to do with an F-attachment but works great on a straight horn.

I've also read of people using coiled phone cord material wrapped around. I assume you cut off the connectors so it doesn't look too dorky.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I use nail polish, but that is like extreme lacquering so that might not be exactly what your'e going for. I figure that my neck is far more dampening than a mm of acrylic.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I use the thick plastic shelf liner you can get at Lowes, HD, hardware stores, etc. I VERY CAREFULLY apply it around the tubing in the appropriate length and glue it to itself (NOT the horn -- this is the VERY CAREFUL part) with superglue. If you are reluctant to use this technique, it would be possible to put holes in it with something like a leather punch and lace it on with, say, a thin waxed shoelace. If necessary, you can make cut-outs for any braces or other tubing.

If you look real close, you can see it in my avatar picture.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I bought a slide protector - Conn branded if I recall correctly. Essentially two clear plastic tubes, split length ways. Intended, according to their pics, to put on the two outers of a slide. I didn’t see a need, given how protective players are of their slides generally. I cut them up to the right length, cut slots to accommodate braces and tubes. My aim was to protect the horn from my sweaty neck. I now have collar/trombone protectors on six trombones. Practically invisible, even people sat next to me haven’t noticed them. Total cost, I think, about £7.00. Snug fit, no rattles.
I guess similar tubes could be had from a DIY store and you’d just need to make the necessary length ways and cross ways cuts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Here in "the colonies" Slide Savers are made by DEG (sister company of Getzen).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Thank everyone! I ended up purchasing DEG's "Collar Saver." It only cost $3 + shipping. I'm hoping this is what I've been looking for. It's been an interesting ride changing materials on my neck pipe for the last 10 years.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

You could have the neckpipe lacquered and be done with it...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Old coiled telephone handset cords work perfectly. I just bought something sold for organizing cables called "Twister" (search for "cleverline cable twister") that I'm going to try.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What about not using a neckpipe? Or, if you don't have a neck, do you need a neckpipe protector?
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Recently a tech suggested to me the idea of using Plasti-Dip spray. It comes in a variety of colors, including clear, you'd just need to carefully mask off the areas you don't want coated. A benefit to that idea, is that it peels off easily when you're ready to remove it for any reason, though it is fairly durable otherwise.

The same tech regularly uses 1" 3M plastic tape, similar to electrical tape but not vinyl, applied lengthwise in two strips, instead of spiral wrapped. It's a really clean look, and the higher quality tape is unlikely to leave residue, unlike the cheaper electrical tapes.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 am Old coiled telephone handset cords work perfectly. I just bought something sold for organizing cables called "Twister" (search for "cleverline cable twister") that I'm going to try.
Interesting ideas. It reminds me that there's this stuff used in electrical systems of cars (and in my case, my boat!) to keep parallel runs of wire together and protected. It's called "wire loom" or "split loom", sometimes referred to as "conduit". Comes in different diameters (about every 1/8" from 1/8" through 1"). You can get 50 ft. for about $10!! From Amazon and other places, but the big auto stores often have it in more reasonable lengths like 10' or less. Usually black, but if you hunt around you can get it in blue or red as well.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Just ordered the "DEG A08SS2 Collar Protector T/Bone" from Brook Mays for $6.06 delivered. I'll report on it when it arrives next week.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

OK, just got this e-mail:

"Unfortunately we are unable to allocate 1 A08SS2 Collar Protector T/Bone that you ordered to your shipment at this time. We have more on order and hope to receive them within the next 3-10 business days. We’ll ship your order the same day the merchandise arrives in our warehouse."
Greg Songer
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Mine was delivered from Dillons today. It was hard to put on, but that was a good thing. I don’t anticipate the plastic stretching out. I’ve had issues in the past with other plastic tubing. I have a feeling this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the help!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I also ordered the ProTec leather neck guard, because i was curious to see what it was like. Honestly, I think it's trash and it wasn't on my horn for more than 10 seconds before I took it off and submitted the return on Amazon. Thank goodness for my Prime membership.

I ended up ordering a 2nd collar saver.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

JLivi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm I also ordered the ProTec leather neck guard, because i was curious to see what it was like. Honestly, I think it's trash and it wasn't on my horn for more than 10 seconds before I took it off and submitted the return on Amazon. Thank goodness for my Prime membership.

I ended up ordering a 2nd collar saver.
This one:
https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-L228-L ... mbone&th=1

?
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Matt K wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:24 pm
This one:
https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-L228-L ... mbone&th=1

?
Yeah, the one for a straight tenor.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Interesting! I have one on a straight horn. It's very thick but I tend to like that. The only downside is that it doesn't have a pencil holder for me.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 am Old coiled telephone handset cords work perfectly. I just bought something sold for organizing cables called "Twister" (search for "cleverline cable twister") that I'm going to try.
Yes this! It's super practical - it'll work no matter the horn and the valve wrap (if any) configuration. On mine it starts wrapping around a single tube, and then when the F side tube comes in the way, it simply wraps around the two tubes. Also works with a change of direction, so good for slide handle. And it takes a few seconds to install or takeoff without having to fool around with laces and cords when you need to take it off to clean the instrument.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Kingfan wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm OK, just got this e-mail:

"Unfortunately we are unable to allocate 1 A08SS2 Collar Protector T/Bone that you ordered to your shipment at this time. We have more on order and hope to receive them within the next 3-10 business days. We’ll ship your order the same day the merchandise arrives in our warehouse."
I called yesterday. Still on backorder :evil:
Greg Songer
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Kingfan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm
Kingfan wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm OK, just got this e-mail:

I called yesterday. Still on backorder :evil:
I've already received two collar savers on two separate orders through Dillons. I'm not sure what the hold up is with Brook Mays.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

It's Brook Mays, that's the problem!
Greg Songer