New hand rest/grip

Bassbonechandler

New hand rest/grip

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Hello,

I'm looking for input on a new hand brace/grip. I currently have an axe handle and its just not working very well for me anymore. I've seen things like the rath and hagmann brace but don't know how well they work.
norbie2018

Re: New hand rest/grip

Post by norbie2018 »

neo tech is awesome.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Ditto on the neotech. Its actually very similar to the ones you mentioned. It just attaches at a different spot. Does the same basic function - removes weight from your fingers to your hand, unlike the bullet brace/ax handle/shires which change there the pivot point (or fulcrum? I'm not sure what it is technically) is for the weight distribution.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

For me, the Sheridan Get-a-Grip works better.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:12 pm For me, the Sheridan Get-a-Grip works better.
Count me in twice for this one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:12 pm For me, the Sheridan Get-a-Grip works better.
Count me three times on this one. I had to bend mine a bit and add a couple of pieces of medical tape, but those were just fine adjustments.
Bassbonechandler

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm
I would like to try the get-a-grip but don't want to spend $60+ for it to not work for me.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm Count me in twice for this one.
I would like to try the get-a-grip but don't want to spend $60+ for it to not work for me.
I bought one used and I didn't like it. I sold it on the old forum a week later. Sometimes you have to take your chances to get what you want.
Bassbonechandler

Does anyone have any experience with the rath hand guard?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:51 am Does anyone have any experience with the rath hand guard?
I had one on a horn I bought. It was monstrous, made of steel, and looked like a 19th century torture device. Big and heavy, mounts with screws, unsophisticated. If you over tighten it you can crush a brace. If you undertighten it, it may slip/rotate and dent your horn. Pretty expensive as well. I much prefer the Get-a-grip, far easier to move from horn to horn, and fits in your case nicely.
Bassbonechandler

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm
If I'm ordering from his website do I email him my shipping address?
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

How do you hold the trombone? Do you put your index finger on the mouthpiece or wrap it around the brace? I have pretty small hands and have always had issues with the "standard" grip with the index finger on the mouthpiece/shank/leadpipe area and it gave me a lot of forearm tension regardless of what kind of hand grip I tried (I have a bullet brace and Rath handbrace). Changing my grip completely eliminated my problem.
Bassbonechandler

Ndwood wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:18 am How do you hold the trombone? Do you put your index finger on the mouthpiece or wrap it around the brace? I have pretty small hands and have always had issues with the "standard" grip with the index finger on the mouthpiece/shank/leadpipe area and it gave me a lot of forearm tension regardless of what kind of hand grip I tried (I have a bullet brace and Rath handbrace). Changing my grip completely eliminated my problem.
I wrap my index finger around my mouthpiece. I have big hands so it's not uncomfortable for me. I just notice the axe handle in a semi comfortable position interferes with my f valve on my horn and sometimes it can't travel all the way.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

What horn do you have OP?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Bassbonechandler

mrdeacon wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:01 pm What horn do you have OP?
Getzen 1052fd.
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

Another vote for the Sheridan Get-a-Grip. It’s such a simple design but works great! I was able to get mine used on the trombone forum so I didn’t have to pay full price for it, but after using it for awhile, I would say it’s definitely worth the price that you would pay for it new
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Neo-tech. cheaper to try. Just be sure to take the time to adjust it. That's the same with any of the rests. And it is quickly removable (snaps on/off) so your horn still fits in its case. Some of the others will not.
Steve
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am
Ndwood wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:18 am How do you hold the trombone? Do you put your index finger on the mouthpiece or wrap it around the brace? I have pretty small hands and have always had issues with the "standard" grip with the index finger on the mouthpiece/shank/leadpipe area and it gave me a lot of forearm tension regardless of what kind of hand grip I tried (I have a bullet brace and Rath handbrace). Changing my grip completely eliminated my problem.
I wrap my index finger around my mouthpiece. I have big hands so it's not uncomfortable for me. I just notice the axe handle in a semi comfortable position interferes with my f valve on my horn and sometimes it can't travel all the way.
Contact Mike. I had a Bach 34B w/ the Mt Vernon style trigger. The regular C clamp was too long, and wouldn't fit on the horn. He made a new, shorter C clamp, (sent me two of different lengths) and a new small clamp that attaches to the bell brace. No charge!

Excellent customer service!
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I tried a get-a-grip which was more comfortable but I felt with my front-heavy horns that I tended to end up putting too much weight on the slide.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Would the neotech or get a grip work well on a Conn 88H modified with an O.E. Thayer valve section? I’m feeling some pain and tension in my lower hand wrist, attached to the pinky. Get a grip looks more malleable for me, but wondering if anyone has experience using these with Thayer valve horns. Thank you!
keybone

Post by keybone »

I play in a big band where we do an inordinate amount of mute/plunger changes. I am quite left handed and change mutes with my left hand. I cannot imagine trying to change mutes with my right hand! Will the Neotech allow me to disengage and reconnect quickly?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

keybone wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm I play in a big band where we do an inordinate amount of mute/plunger changes. I am quite left handed and change mutes with my left hand. I cannot imagine trying to change mutes with my right hand! Will the Neotech allow me to disengage and reconnect quickly?
I doubt it. You will have a strap around your hand and need to disengage.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
keybone

Post by keybone »

That’s what I thought. Maybe I could get one for home practice only. Thanks, Bruce.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Don't get me wrong. I think the NeoTech is a great appliance and helps take the strain off some sensitive parts of your left arm. But you can't just slip it off for a mute change.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, you can. You just slip your hand out. Not really any different than using a trombone without one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:01 pm Don't get me wrong. I think the NeoTech is a great appliance and helps take the strain off some sensitive parts of your left arm. But you can't just slip it off for a mute change.
I do it all the time with my Neotech. No big deal.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

keybone wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm I play in a big band where we do an inordinate amount of mute/plunger changes. I am quite left handed and change mutes with my left hand. I cannot imagine trying to change mutes with my right hand! Will the Neotech allow me to disengage and reconnect quickly?
I used to use the left hand, but this past year a couple of the experienced players here made a case for using the right hand.

They showed me how to flip the trombone horizontal and brace the bell against the inside of the left leg. This holds it securely and you can insert a mute much more firmly without putting stress on the slide connection, especially important with a friction fit slide. Just one more thing all the old timers knew but I had not come across.

Since doing it this way I have not had a mute fall out.
keybone

Post by keybone »

At my advancing age, I find it interesting that I keep finding more things to practice! I have a tremor, especially in the right hand, which is the reason I am thinking about the Neotech. And I generally play a small .500 horn. Most of the players I play with use your method. Off to the practice room...

Thanks, timothy42b!
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I use a combination of the Sheridan Get a grip and the Wiseman comfort grip. On my bass I have a bullet brace, but would like to experiment more with Get a grip instead of the bullet brace. My issue with the Get a grip is that it can slide back towards the valve, and then get in the way of the F trigger when engaged. Not sure if that would be an issue with non-Thayer horns or not.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

MTbassbone wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:52 pm I use a combination of the Sheridan Get a grip and the Wiseman comfort grip. On my bass I have a bullet brace, but would like to experiment more with Get a grip instead of the bullet brace. My issue with the Get a grip is that it can slide back towards the valve, and then get in the way of the F trigger when engaged. Not sure if that would be an issue with non-Thayer horns or not.
I’ve used a Sheridan Get-a-Grip for about two years now. I recently bought two Wise Grips and have been using them now for a few days. It’s great on tenor—easier to hold the horn in general, and it’s easier to keep the horn stable and balanced when playing in the outer positions. I haven’t yet played it with my bass much, as I’ve been focusing on tenor the last few weeks. It doesn’t interfere with my Gb lever though, which I was concerned about.

MTbassbone, I put the Get-a-Grip between the lock nut and the inner slide brace so it doesn’t slide up towards the valve. But I don’t have Thayer valves.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I used the get a grip on my 88H for a while and didn't have much sucess. I got a Wise Grip and the issue was solved. I sold the get a grip. On my bass trombone I use the NeoTech hand grip. Easy on, easy off, and does the job! I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand a few years ago because I couldn't even feel the horn in my hand any more after a short time. I could feel the rotor paddles just enough to play. I had this issue even with my small bore Jazz tenors. It's all fixed, but my left hand is not as strong as it was in my younger days, so I need the help on heavier horns (not my Jazz tenor) so Wise' Grip on on the orchestral tenor an NeoTech on the bass. These have totally solved my issues! And getting in and out of the NeoTech is no more effort than with nothing at all on the horn.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Accessories”