Best case that holds music and trombone stand

aasavickas

Best case that holds music and trombone stand

Post by aasavickas »

I always bring along music and a trombone stand to rehearsals and gigs but am having a hard time finding a good case that can carry both the trombone stand and music.

I use the K&N trombone stand. The thing is still pretty big when you fold it up. The old style ProTech case fits music(it sometimes gets a little bent) and the stand in the giant outer pocket but the case is very big and boxy. I would get a smaller trombone stand except every other stye I have tried is not stable enough when holding the horn especially on a cramped big band stage or tight orchestra set up.

I ended up picking up a Shires bass trombone case a while back. I don't think they make those anymore. It is essentially a copy of the Marcus Bonna case but cheaper in quality and does not have the loops for a trombone stand.

Does any one know of a good smaller-when-folded-up trombone stand?

I know the tenor Marcus Bonna case has a velcro music bag and it has straps for a trombone stand but those are expensive and usually not available. Apparently they are made one at a time deep in the jungles of Brazil by a a one armed sloth.

I could just carry an additional back back with the stand and music but that seems stupid if I already dropped a few hundred buck on a case.

I don't like most gig bags due to the lack of protection for the horn but would consider one if it did a decent job protecting the bell.

Any case recommendations of a good case with backpack straps that holds both music and a trombone stand?
hyperbolica

Re: Best case that holds music and trombone stand

Post by hyperbolica »

There are three in-bell stands that I know of. Very compact, but not very sturdy. You don't mention what kind of trombone, but you did say you bought a bass trombone case, so I'll assume you've got a bass bone.

I trust the smaller K&M for my bass.Image

The bigger one is just overkill. The stand is as likely to cause damage as anything else.

For tenor, one of the in-bell stands (probably the Hercules) works, or I use my Aria a lot, but I wouldn't use it for bass.

Honestly, I use a gym bag to carry stand, music, mutes, and other stuff. I think a single bag carrying all that plus an instrument is just too much. You're going to rip an expensive case or damage a horn. To me, that's too high a price for convenience. You're better off with a separate bag.

Or you could get a double case, and use the other side for all that stuff. But you'd have to wrap the heavy metal stuff in towels or bubble wrap to protect the instrument.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I use a Hercules in-bell stand and a Wolfpack case. I keep stand in side pocket because it doesn't like the moisture when you put it in the bell after playing. I also carry a mute bah and the music fits in a side pocket. Can't imagine having everything in one case. When I need a stand I have a Peak stand with folding table, solid no matter what I put on it. It comes in a separate bag.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Gard Wheelie bag. Good bell protection, loads of space, back straps too, as well as wheels. Trombone stand, foldable music stand, music, mutes plus mouthpieces, fluids and miscellaneous items. LOVE mine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

My Edwards case works well. I removed the MP box. Now music fits in the case. I have a water bottle that fits and I can even put a folding music stand in. I wrap those things in a towel and then put cardboard between them and the bell. And a stand in the bell if I want to carry extra weight, but I normally do not.

I have a nerve issue in my left arm so I have an elbow rest. It is a 9" round board on a cymbal stand. I take it in a gig bag. There is room for a Hamilton stand and a folding music stand in the bag too. Then the case is packed lighter.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Which Edwards case do you use? Is it the new carbon fiber plastic looking one?

I think they look goofy and cheap. But they are small and light and the carbon fiber is really strong. I might pick one up but they are a bit pricey like most of the good cases.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I use a duffle bag for my mutes and stands and other misc. items. Music goes in a side compartment.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The "mutebag from hell" holds a trombone stand, music book/binder, mutes, and all your small accessories. Not a trombone though. I don't think there's a good case that actually would hold all that stuff, and why risk having your horn get scratched up?

The case can hold only your trombone, and the "mutebag from hell" can hold the rest. Look up the BucketBoss Gate Mouth tool bag. That thing really is "the mutebag from hell"!!!
JerryY

Post by JerryY »

GARD wheelie case!!!
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Does the Gard wheelie case work well with the slide behind the bell? I usually take out my slide first, and then put the bell on. Seems like it may be backward for me. I don't always use a trombone stand though.
Slideorama

Post by Slideorama »

Altieri.
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
JerryY

Post by JerryY »

I just pull the top of the slide case forward with the bell in the case and lift it out, no problem.
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

I use a double trombone Cronkite gig bag. Trombone on one side stand and mute on other side. Works great and I can carry on my back.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The more stuff you add in a case or gig bag, the heavier it gets and the more chance of damage to the horn or to you in terms of injuries like tennis elbow from carrying the weight. I've just started using a carry-on size suitcase which holds everything - mutes, trombone stand, music stand, music various accessories, and even shoes and a jacket. And it rolls.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
afugate

Post by afugate »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm The more stuff you add in a case or gig bag, the heavier it gets and the more chance of damage to the horn or to you in terms of injuries like tennis elbow from carrying the weight. I've just started using a carry-on size suitcase which holds everything - mutes, trombone stand, music stand, music various accessories, and even shoes and a jacket. And it rolls.
That's a great idea!

--Andy in OKC
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Smart idea. I’m going to do it.

When I was in law school the books were huge and heave. People started using luggage with wheels to keep from breaking their backs. People with bad backs are pretty crafty.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The protect series "Platinum" gig bag is actually surprisingly good. (https://www.dillonmusic.com/protec-teno ... black.html)

I just picked up one a few months ago and I've been digging it for that horn. It is a gig bag, so it's fairly lightweight but it also has pouches for ta trombone stand. The interior is spacious and easy to remove the horn from and can also fit several Cronkhite accessory pouches... I think this thing could actually fit an inline bass but I haven't tried it... Has a music pouch on the side as well as an external side pouch for mouthpiece. Can do backpack straps or shoulder strap.

We'll see if it holds up over time but it's quickly becoming my favorite case, even over the Eastman cases. I still use the latter and if I'm traveling for any reason will still prefer it... and if its raining as well I'll probably use it. But otherwise, the protec makes it very easy to get from my music room to the gig with very little friction.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

aasavickas wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 am Which Edwards case do you use? Is it the new carbon fiber plastic looking one?

I think they look goofy and cheap. But they are small and light and the carbon fiber is really strong. I might pick one up but they are a bit pricey like most of the good cases.
I have the tan cases. But I have seen the newer black case and it is the same box.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Accessories”