Double trombone case for German tenor and alto

bcschipper

Double trombone case for German tenor and alto

Post by bcschipper »

I am looking for a double trombone case for a German tenor and alto trombone. The issue is that German tenor trombones have a longer slide and a wider a bell.

I got

Kruspe Weschke tenor with exchangeable f-attachment
Length of slide: 89 cm / 35.4 inches
Width of bell: 22.5 cm / 8.86 inches

Kruspe alto trombone
Length of slide: 67 cm / 26.34 inches
Width of bell: 15 cm / 5.91 inches

It would be nice if there is some space for the exchangeable tenor bow for the Weschke as well as for two mouthpieces (tenor and alto).

For the tenor I use a 'bags of spain' especially made for German trombones, which works rather well. But somehow I can't find a double trombone case for German trombones.

Since these are historical original instruments, I don't like to use any gigbags.
BGuttman

Re: Double trombone case for German tenor and alto

Post by BGuttman »

Altieri will make a custom bag. Donna needs some measurements. If I remember later I'll try to measure the slide box on my double. Only caveat: don't try to fly with it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Thank you. If I understand the Altieri's website correctly, they make gig bags. However, for these instruments, I need a more stable case with a frame or hard shell.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Have you thought about Anvil or The Tank? Anvil: http://www.anvilcase.com

Hickeys here in the States sells The Tank:
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... orbass.php

Pelican also sells custom cases with foam that can be fairly easily customized: https://www.pelican.com
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Altieri are not making any trombone bags, so the option isn't even there :(
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Thank you. The Tank looks promising. They also make a tenor/alto case. Unfortunately, they don't write anywhere their inner dimensions. The slide of German trombones longer especially when they have a friction joint. I will ask them for the inner dimensions.

All these cases look very sturdy, perhaps already too sturdy and heavy. It would be even better to have a Marcus Bonna double trombone case or similar but for German trombones.

My colleague has a very nice Edwards bag for his bass trombone. It is so small and designed in a pretty smart way. But my slide wouldn't fit. And I don't know whether they even make double trombone cases for tenor/alto.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I think Basili makes custom cases. Probably take a few months before you see it.. .(like 6+) but would probably be worth the wait.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

My apologies. I mistakenly thought you were looking for a flight case. I’d look at Basili or Bonna. As others mentioned above, I believe they make custom cases.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't find a website of Ciro Basili. Marcus Bonna doesn't say anything about custom cases on their website but I should just ask.

One aspect of Marcus Bonna's alto/tenor case that I don't like is that the alto is essentially on top of the tenor. You need to take out the alto before you can take out the tenor. Usually, you need the tenor more often than the alto. So having the alto beneath the tenor would make more sense.

Return to “Accessories”