Reduce sound level but not as much as a practice mute

mickael57280

Reduce sound level but not as much as a practice mute

Post by mickael57280 »

All is in the title, I'm looking for a mute that allow me to play in my flat in the daytime, so volume reduction like a practice mute is not necessary, just need something halfway between playing open and with a practice mute.

After many research it seems like the softone are what I'm looking for, but want some opinions before buyin' one.

Thanks
Basbasun

Re: Reduce sound level but not as much as a practice mute

Post by Basbasun »

A cup mute with some cotton in the cup.
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

I have an ajustable cup mute it's heavy and make the trombone out of balance
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Something you can do sometimes is just play very softly. Almost so quiet that you can't hear it yourself. I do this sometimes at home and in hotel rooms.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The SofTone messes with your tone at extremes of range. Also messes with intonation.

Cups or straights seem to change your timbre and often will change intonation

There is no perfect solution except maybe setting up a soundproof room.

Maybe a bucket is enough?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:11 am Something you can do sometimes is just play very softly. Almost so quiet that you can't hear it yourself. I do this sometimes at home and in hotel rooms.
This is an excellent thing to do anyhow, really exercises the chops & develops control.

Another thing to try is widening the spaces between the "corks" on a practice mute (Protec liberty, or Best Brass)
it makes it louder, more free blowing, and improves the intonation at the same time. Its reversible if you do it carefully, otherwise you can buy thin cork or neoprene to put it back to original.
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

a softone really messes with the intonation (for me) if used draped over the bell.
I only use mine with a clothespin, dangling in front of the bell, as a substitute for bucket mute. Remarkably similar sound, and infinitely less cumbersome.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Fill your closet with clothes and play into it.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I know it`s a practice mute but I`ve had excellent luck with the Protec Liberty Mute
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I forgot my practice mute on a trip down to my Mom's condo in FL. one trip. A drive over to a Sam Ash store near her and I found a a Denis Wick fibre straight mute. It worked pretty well volume-wise, didn't mess with pitch too much, and happened to be on sale that day because it had been sitting in the store forever. Very lightweight mute as well. Mix that with some buzzing and soft open playing, and you can do some practicing in an apartment situation. I would still advise that you find a place where you can go regularly to practice without having to worry about neighbors - worth a lot for the sake of your sound and just for piece of mind.

Jim Scott
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Turn on the TV loud and play soft. Nobody complain on TV, or you buy the Yamaha Silent Brass mute and use it with the head phones. Could plug in an Aebersold record and practice improvisation. The feeling of that mute is good and the feedback is enough "tromboney". Even though I play soft in the mute the feedback from the playback system is authentic which encourage me to play close to how I normally play when I play open.

But this is just to solve a temporary crisis. I think practice mutes are mislabeled. I do not think practice mutes are very well suited for practice. To me they are only a tool to warm up. For the proper practice I need to check my sound, articulation, intonation and dynamics. The closet may then be the cheapest best possible choice if you really need to reduce volume when you practice.

/Tom
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I’ve had good results using my Shhh practice mute and ONE ear plug in (either ear)....gives a much more normal sound and in turn, feel/blow. I can play for long periods of time without messing with my chops too much. Would I want to practise like this all the time? No...but it works well if I’ve been playing throughout the day and need to get in another hours practise at night.

Return to “Accessories”