Cases for Mouthpieces (lots of Mouthpieces)

Neo Bri

Cases for Mouthpieces (lots of Mouthpieces)

Post by Neo Bri »

What are some options for mouthpiece storage? I'd like something like a display case where I can see dozens of mouthpieces but they are isolated from each other.

Individual mouthpiece pouches won't cut it, as I would like a central location for all of them where I can see each easily.

Thoughts?

Extra credit - I also have lots of Doug Elliott components and it wouldn't hurt to also acquire a case to store dozens of rims, cups and shanks. Is "pull & pluck" foam an option?
shider

Re: Cases for Mouthpieces (lots of Mouthpieces)

Post by shider »

I have a kind of shelf with several small compartments.
Looks like a grid, with about 4 sections in width and the same in height.
The whole thing is rather small and it fits two mouthpieces per individual "section".
I think Ikea would sell something like this for rather cheap, the only thing i'm not so pleased is, that i put the mouthpieces in standing on the rim...
But fitting a see through door to something like that would also be really simple.
Or you could manufacture something yourself, just build a simple frame and fit boards horizontally across in which you could drill holes in which to put the mouthpieces.

For the DE components i'm not so sure.. either put them on little (plastic or wood) sticks to keep them visible or make something like a ring (the kind you wear on your fingers) display box, but in larger dimensions. I'm thinking about some kind of a slit in foam where you put the component in. Would work especially well for the rims!

I could take a picture of my shelf for you, but it would have to wait until tomorrow.

Greetings,
shider
boomski

Post by boomski »

What about a watch box? I have one that holds 12 watches, has a glass top, and is plenty padded if it's only for home storage. They might need some foam if you plan to move it around a lot. My box also has a drawer I use for straps/tools, but it's also padded- maybe you could lay out the DE pieces there? Amazon has tons, and I know they exist for 30+ watches.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

You can buy a "parts box" with moveable dividers at a craft, fabric, or art supply store. The ones I use were made by ArtBin and are similar to this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ArtBin-Solut ... x/25394021
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Also look at a box intended for fishing lures.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Good advice. Thanks folks. I definitely want something padded, though I'd guess that the plastic used in some of these options are so soft that they wouldn't mar the surface of mouthpieces within the compartments.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 am Good advice. Thanks folks. I definitely want something padded, though I'd guess that the plastic used in some of these options are so soft that they wouldn't mar the surface of mouthpieces within the compartments.
Yes, most are made with very soft plastic. I also put a rectangle of felt (green works well!) in each compartment. I cut the felt long so it gives a little cushion at the rim and shank of each mouthpiece. I also don't travel with the boxes. They just sit on a shelf waiting to be called upon...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I used a thread rack. Works for full size mouthpieces and DE components

Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

More good advice. I like the thread rack. Now imagine one that folds flat, too. That would be pretty sweet.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

20180510_222414.jpg
I got this Bach Mouthpiece Display Case some years ago on eBay. I'd like to get another one to separate ss/ls. The case is designed for 30. The three in the center and one other oddly placed one are not in slots. The lid is detachable for display purposes. It's great for transporting them. I don't remember how much I spent on it. Might have been $100. I doubt it was as low as $50.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PhilipEdCarlson on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 am 20180510_222414.jpg
I got this Bach Mouthpiece Display Case some years ago on eBay. I'd like to get another ice to separate ss/ls. The case is drained for 30. The three in the center and one other oddly placed one are not in slots. The lid is detachable for display purposes. It's great for transporting them. I don't remember how much I spent on it. Might have been $100. I doubt it was as low as $50.
Very cool. Kinda what I had in mind.

What do you mean by drained? I don't understand that part.
matto

Post by matto »

I've got one of these, but I don't remember paying that much for it. It has some slots that can hold shanks and rims, but not too many.

https://www.pickettblackburn.com/index. ... cts_id=942

btone

Post by btone »

Try a one or more Plano or Doskocil single molded plastic pistol cases. Secure closure, rugged exterior, with egg-crate type foam interior. Can accommodate 2 rows of trombone mouthpieces for a total of12 to 14 per case. Can be stacked or stood up side -by -side in a shelf. Pretty cheap also.

Return to “Accessories”