Edwards with Conn slide, When

hurry

Edwards with Conn slide, When

Post by hurry »

I have Edwards straight tenor(.547) with Conn type slide joint.
Actually I use Conn 8H slide on it.

Curiously I want to know the period that Ed. had the option of Bach or Conn Slide.

I think that after the end of period the company has divided Getzen with Conn slide and Ed. with Bach slide.
No exchangeable treatment for marketing, Mr Shires was related?
hurry, not in a hurry
Matt K
Verified

Re: Edwards with Conn slide, When

Post by Matt K »

I believe you're referring to what is usually called a "slide tenon". That is the part that the bell section slides into that, most of the time, has a locking ring or a clamping nut to keep the slide in place while playing. It may or may not be stock and it could have been intended for another horn too. Memory serving, the Getzen tenons are compatible with Conn bells, so someone may have ordered an Edwards slide for their Getzen. Or had someone put one on aftermarket. I had a Shires 508/525 slide that, when I purchased it, it was setup to work with small bore Bach trombones (normally they have large tenon, intended for the Shires medium/large bore horns). Evidently, Shires had no record of ever producing such a slide so somewhere down the line they probably had a different tenon put on. The work was really well done, I couldn't tell that it wasn't stock. Someone could easily have done something similar to your slide!
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I think this refers to Edwards horns with a "Conn" fitting for the slide. I seem to remember that when Edwards was first starting out, they were only making bells, and they asked buyers to specify which slide they wanted the bell to connect to. Their own slides came along in a short time, and the standard fitting was comparable (more or less) with a Bach, but they still offered a Conn fitting if desired - I have a friend in another Canadian orchestra that was playing an Edwards bell with a Conn slide, and it was a factory setup, not altered. I would guess that if you were willing to wait for it, you could special oder that fitting.

Jim Scott
blast

Post by blast »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm I think this refers to Edwards horns with a "Conn" fitting for the slide. I seem to remember that when Edwards was first starting out, they were only making bells, and they asked buyers to specify which slide they wanted the bell to connect to. Their own slides came along in a short time, and the standard fitting was comparable (more or less) with a Bach, but they still offered a Conn fitting if desired - I have a friend in another Canadian orchestra that was playing an Edwards bell with a Conn slide, and it was a factory setup, not altered. I would guess that if you were willing to wait for it, you could special oder that fitting.

Jim Scott
That is correct as I remember it.By the time I progressed from interest to order, slides were available.

Chris
xaminmo

Post by xaminmo »

In researching, the FAQ says the Edwards standard is the same as Bach, but they offer by special order a Conn-sized receiver.

It's apparently not a big deal to replace the tenon on the slide. We have a Getzen slide and a Conn slide that are compatible, and our local expert is going to adjust an Edwards one-off slide to match tenons.

Return to “Accessories”