AIDA TB 98 trombone stand

johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Has anyone tried this stand?

It’s said to be lighter and more compact than the common stands (and more expensive) but not as light and compact as the carbon fiber stands available (and even more expensive).

It would be nice to have a stand that would fit into my mute bag.

Any thoughts appreciated,

John
hyperbolica

Re: AIDA TB 98 trombone stand

Post by hyperbolica »

Yes, its lighter and collapses smaller. Works more like a photo tripod. Kind of expensive. Can be hard to find. May not be first choice for bass trombone.
muschem

Post by muschem »

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my carbon fiber stands. I have one for tenor and one for bass, and both work great and fit in my mute bag.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I use the Aida stand for some of my work. I use my K&M stand primarily - much heavier, but very solid. I keep that at the hall my orchestra plays at. I use the Aida for most of the work that occurs outside of the hall, or freelance stuff. Very light, and breaks down to a small size. It fits perfectly in the little straps on the outside of a Marcus Bona case (and a mute can fit in the bell). Perfect for that use. I also bring it in for when 2 horns (alto or small tenor, and .547) are needed, and I put the smaller horn on the Aida. I've never had an issue with the large tenor on it, but I do prefer the K&M for that horn most of the time. I don't think the Aida will safely hold a bass trombone. A colleague of mine just picked up one from the Hornguys. There's a small learning curve to tighten it to extend the height - the various lengths of tubing turn in different directions to loosen and tighten (they alternate) and you can get slightly disoriented as to which way to turn. Not a big deal, particularly if you're using it regularly. Good stands.

Jim Scott
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

muschem wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:21 pm For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my carbon fiber stands. I have one for tenor and one for bass, and both work great and fit in my mute bag.
Are you using the Carbon Fiber stands from Woodwind Design? I have 1 for my jazz tenor, 1 for my bass bone, and 1 for my euphonium. The pack into the bell of each horn and are probably the best stands I have ever owned.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
muschem

Post by muschem »

ssking2b wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:34 am
muschem wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:21 pm For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my carbon fiber stands. I have one for tenor and one for bass, and both work great and fit in my mute bag.
Are you using the Carbon Fiber stands from Woodwind Design? I have 1 for my jazz tenor, 1 for my bass bone, and 1 for my euphonium. The pack into the bell of each horn and are probably the best stands I have ever owned.
Yes, I use the WoodWindDesign stands. The instrument stands are very stable and light. I also have the tablet stand for my iPad, and that is similarly great. Their products are not inexpensive, but they’re hard to beat in terms of weight, compactness, and stability.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

muschem writes:

> I use the WoodWindDesign stands

I bought WoodWindDesign's iPad stand on your recommendation and I just ordered a tenor trombone stand. WoodWindDesign should pay you a commission!
muschem

Post by muschem »

tjonz wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:19 am muschem writes:

> I use the WoodWindDesign stands

I bought WoodWindDesign's iPad stand on your recommendation and I just ordered a tenor trombone stand. WoodWindDesign should pay you a commission!
I have no connection with WWD - I just like their products :) .

I will also say that Gijs is very open to product feedback. When I first received the tablet stand, I noted that the support arms block the port and camera when you orient the clamp arms top/bottom and centered on the tablet. Before I picked up a Zoom H6 for recording my practice sessions, I used a Rode mobile device mic plugged into the bottom of my iPad for this, which was problematic for the clamp arm design. Gijs suggested clamping on the sides of the tablet to overcome this. This had its own issue, as the clamp arm then covered the magnetic connection for the Apple Pencil on the side of the iPad. I ended up working around this by clamping the iPad off-center in the bracket, but I suggested an alternative design for the support arm, using a split foot with an opening in the center, to avoid blocking the port. I see he now offers exactly what I was suggesting in the new design.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Jeeze - if forget who I recommend to, but not what I recommend. The Woodwind Design carbon fiber in bell trombone stands are the best stands I have ever used. Available in the USA thru The Horn Guys and Dillon Music. And yes, I would love to get commissions, but regardless, I'm going to promote good equipment!
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com

Return to “Accessories”