CL Resistance Balancer

tbarrett

CL Resistance Balancer

Post by tbarrett »

I know the Christian Lindberg Resistance Balancers have been discontinued for a while, I was curious if there was actually evidence or proof they did anything or if it is just placebo. Also, is there a way you could even get them anymore?
Burgerbob

Re: CL Resistance Balancer

Post by Burgerbob »

Here comes Harrison!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

I wouldn’t say it’s a placebo. You could feel a very definite difference in how the horn plays because you suppress vibration to get the resonance to occur later. Additionally, the medium and heavy ones had metal pieces, which while light considering the entire weight of the horn, made a difference. Just think of how a mouthpiece of the same depth but different weights sound and respond vastly different.
Finally (on my soapbox here), the instrument the product was designed around was a Conn 88H. In my personal experience, the horn I owned had extreme sympathetic vibrations on several notes. Maybe I had a “bad” horn, but I found that the Resistance Balancer kept that from happening, and made the sound more focused.
tbarrett

Post by tbarrett »

Excellent explanation MBurner, thank you! That makes a lot of sense on how it can benefit the sound produced. Do you still use the one you own? Since they have been discontinued, where would you acquire one in today's time? Maybe a rare listing on an online marketplace I assume.
Currently Preparing: "Seven Variations on a theme from Mozart's 'Magic Flute'" ~ Beethoven

Current Instrumentation: S.E. Shires w/ Axial-flow Valve & Giddings Boreas
Model34

Post by Model34 »

I had a complete set 40 years ago, I still have the one CL uses on his 88HSGXCL all the time. I found it cuts excess overtones thereby letting the core take center stage. It was especially helpful on my 1981 bare brass Schilkes 841, made by Yamaha for Schilke, which could be a little schrill. However, it is just a piece of blue velvet with a satin back and velcro w/pockets on each side o hold the little brass rods. I believe it could be replicated for a couple of bucks at any fabric store.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah I love them. They change the way the horn responds in a large way, and change the sound in a minor way as well. Question though, 40 years ago was 1982, there was no way Lindberg had marketed the resistance balancer back then, before his first CD even came out -- are you a time traveler?

Basically, at the expense of some overtones (which you may or may not want in your sound to begin with), you get more projection, less "edge", and articulations will speak better even at low volumes. So you get the perception of a darker sound, and everything else that changes is in how the horn behaves.

You can try this if you can't find your own set:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/kaboodle-non ... t_p4560082

Get a drawer mat like this one, made out of rubber foam, and cut it to shape so that it wraps once around itself on the bell throat. Tie that down with a thick vinyl or electrical tape, pretty darn tight. If you don't like it, carefully cut it off with an exacto knife. Super cheap, won't damage the finish, and easily removed.

You can even wrap piano pegs or other weights into the tape if you wanna go full CL. Just remember, this is basically what Lindberg, who has always been a loud and powerful player, used to try and cut through large orchestras in good sounding halls. YMMV in a practice room.
Model34

Post by Model34 »

Yes, I’m a time traveler, I was alive in 1982 the year after I got my Schilke 841, and I’m still alive! I used these balancers extensively on that particular horn. To be clear, I may in fact be off a decade on the date I got the balancers. How that is relevant to this discussion about the balancers I have no idea. You got me; I’m old. You make much ado about nothing. Just a thought: Were it against the law to be respectful and kind on this forum, and you were arrested, would there be enough evidence to get a conviction?
tbarrett

Post by tbarrett »

I guess I’ll have to do my best to try and make a DIY replica myself to determine if it will benefit me. I have looked at Hickey’s Music Center and found nothing and even checked the link on Lindberg’s own website. I assume I should take some cloth and wrap it around the stem of the bell before it flairs out?
Currently Preparing: "Seven Variations on a theme from Mozart's 'Magic Flute'" ~ Beethoven

harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's not just cloth. The "cloth" version is a heavy suede material sewn together with Velcro display backing.

I recommend the tape over drawer mat method because you will be able to test it out a lot faster.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Model34 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:58 am Yes, I’m a time traveler, I was alive in 1982 the year after I got my Schilke 841, and I’m still alive! I used these balancers extensively on that particular horn. To be clear, I may in fact be off a decade on the date I got the balancers. How that is relevant to this discussion about the balancers I have no idea. You got me; I’m old. You make much ado about nothing. Just a thought: Were it against the law to be respectful and kind on this forum, and you were arrested, would there be enough evidence to get a conviction?
Well! I myself remember when the first Smartphone came out, myself, in 1987, shortly after I was born. I've been on the Droid for 35 years and counting. And nobody better tell me I'm wrong because it's not relevant to the discussion anyways, or my name's not John Titor.

Absolutely no offense was meant, and I just think facts should be facts. I'm sorry if you don't like my sense of humor but me calling you a time traveler is probably the most innocent jab someone could take at you.

FWIW, I never called you old, either. Maybe we can chalk it up to tone being hard to read through a forum?
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I have used "Povihome" Finger Protectors [available on Amazon] with the ends cut off to cushion grips that have uncomfortable protrusions and have even used them on a modular bell section to damper a sympathetic vibration. With the bell detached from the frame, the highly stretchable material can easily go onto the bell section. Metallic rods could be placed under the sheath to simulate the CL Resistance Balancer. It did the job for me for $10. Skip cocktail hour for just one day to pay for it ! :roll:
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

2bobone wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:28 pm I have used "Povihome" Finger Protectors [available on Amazon] with the ends cut off to cushion grips that have uncomfortable protrusions and have even used them on a modular bell section to damper a sympathetic vibration. With the bell detached from the frame, the highly stretchable material can easily go onto the bell section. Metallic rods could be placed under the sheath to simulate the CL Resistance Balancer. It did the job for me for $10. Skip cocktail hour for just one day to pay for it ! :roll:
Skip cocktail hour?!?!

I’ll find some other way to finance it, gotta have priorities.

Scraps of fabric and some readily available after pins before adding Velcro should also do the trick.

For all DIY solutions, mess with the cheap stuff first, then figure out how to upgrade it to pretty if you like it/need it.

Cheers,
Andy
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have one I will sell for $10 plus shipping. Contact me thru email at [email protected]
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
tbarrett

Post by tbarrett »

ssking2b wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:44 am I have one I will sell for $10 plus shipping. Contact me thru email at [email protected]
Which of the three sizes do you have?

conn88Hagmann

Post by conn88Hagmann »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I have borrowed a balancer, and have all three bits.

Can anyone point me to a video that shows how you should use them?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

conn88Hagmann wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:58 am Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I have borrowed a balancer, and have all three bits.

Can anyone point me to a video that shows how you should use them?
I don't know of a video, but here's how you do it:

1. Put both metal pieces into their pockets.

2. Find the narrower end, and wrap that end around the bell throat flush with the brace, and push down to secure the velcro. It should be snug.

3. Using one hand to work the material under, and the other hand to stretch the material over, continue working your way down until the Velcro is all sealed and the whole thing is snug.

4. You can make it more snug by sliding the whole thing down towards the end of the bell. You can make it less snug by sliding it up towards the brace. It should be tight, but if you go too far the tone will become thin and brittle.

5. The metal pieces do two things. First, they add weight to the bell. Second, they act to make the material more snug on the bell throat - removing them loosens the material up.

So, that's how it physically works. Find yourself a large room, like an auditorium, to test it out. First, test out your fortissimos -- the whole point of the thing is to help make it easy to project out to the back of the hall. Articulations and the room reflections should feel and sound different. Then, test out something that is an exposed piano or pianissimo entrance. You should find that it is much easier to get the horn to speak at that volume, a d the entrances become more secure. Strangely, a pianissimo entrance will sound delicate and soft, but will have more "presence" to someone at a distance.

You can't test these things in a small room.
conn88Hagmann

Post by conn88Hagmann »

Great tips! Thank you!

Return to “Accessories”