Recommendations on a case for holding Shire F attachment?

jbeatenbough

Recommendations on a case for holding Shire F attachment?

Post by jbeatenbough »

I have a straight neck and a twin rotor for my Shires. I dont have room in the case for both, so I'm sometimes taking along the straight neck or f attachment when I'm not sure what I'll be playing. Any suggestions for a safe bag/case for the f attachment? It is 18"x5.5"x3.25"
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
Burgerbob

Re: Recommendations on a case for holding Shire F attachment?

Post by Burgerbob »

I mean, if I weren't sure, I'd just be taking the F attachment. Too much of a hassle to change out the valve section at a rehearsal or a gig.

That said, I'm sure there are some Pelican cases that might fit it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:22 am I mean, if I weren't sure, I'd just be taking the F attachment. Too much of a hassle to change out the valve section at a rehearsal or a gig.

That said, I'm sure there are some Pelican cases that might fit it.
+1. If you still want a case for the straight neck then maybe a bass bow case would work.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

There was a time in my life when I played either a dependent rotor section or a single rotor section. I had Glenn Cronkhite (he was still running the company then) make me a simple sleeve with a velcro closure to put inside a double gig bag along with the rest of the instrument.

One solution is certainly to buy a Pelican case of the appropriate size and customize the inside of it. Another way - less secure for sure - would be to wrap the valve section or straight section well and carry it in a small mute bag like the ProTec.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'd personally get a hard case like a pelican specifically meant for the neckpipe. Way too easy to have it jostled around in something soft and get damaged. But realistically, I also have only done a handful of gigs in my entire career where the valve wasn't useful... and interestingly enough, I didn't have a horn w/o an F attachment for any of them for that use at the time. If you're regularly switching them out, going the route that Gabe suggested might be worth the investment.

Something else to consider long term is whether or not if you'd be better served with a different bell section, not just the lack of a valve. Then you'd "just" get a double case or a separate case for the bell section. Usually, seems lack of bell section can be paired with a lighter, 8" bell on tenor for example. For instance, I have a dual-bore rotor and a 2RVET7 and a 7YLW8. While I totally love the latter with the F attachment, if I were playing a gig where I had passages where I barely had bass clef notes, particularly no B naturals with my short arms, I'd probably also find that the smaller bell section would be more appropriate.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

Funny that I'm just now reading this after just purchasing another shires bell flair and tuning slide...lol.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C

Return to “Accessories”