Tuners

hyperbolica

Tuners

Post by hyperbolica »

Was there a thread o here recently about favorite tuners? It didn't turn up in a search. I've used phone apps (Tunable) , and the little Snark things. I need something that can hear tuba range properly and can adjust sensitivity and response speed. I don't trust reviews on reseller sites, and I haven't found a good independent review. What do you all like?
octavposaune

Re: Tuners

Post by octavposaune »

Higher end Korgs are usually pretty good. Even the cheaper ones work down to a certain point. Separate machines are really losing popularity with smart phones., but I believe they have their purpose. My OT12 (obsolete model) Korg has a physical needle and is about as sensitive as they come. It also has a standby run time of several days with 2 AA batteries. I usually prefer my small TMR 50 recording tuner so I can have instant play back, this one is also obsolete. The small Korgs do not pick up low register stuff as well, particularly if your timbre isnt locked in. I have good luck to about pedal.F with mine...

Benn
afugate

Post by afugate »

Peterson iStroboSoft tuner app
https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/

Peterson PitchGrabber clip on mic (it's corded)
https://www.petersontuners.com/products/pitchgrabber/

--Andy in OKC
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Snark
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

octavposaune wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:04 pm ... The small Korgs do not pick up low register stuff as well, particularly if your timbre isnt locked in. I have good luck to about pedal.F with mine...

Benn
I agree emphatically with the locked-in timbre point.

Hyperbolica, might it be worth the time to find response curves for the various phone and in-tuner mics you have (or have tried?) I would bet that response drops radically below about 100 Hz. I suspect the reason SOME phone tuners can give results for LOWER notes is that, for low notes, they actually focus in on the 1st overtone over the actual note being played, rather than that first note.

On the old TTF Gabe made a good point about picking up low octaves on the bass trombone better with a contact mic clipped to the water key lever. I found that the Korg clip-on pickup worked much better than a couple cheaper alternatives I tried. The trick nowadays would be to find a phone that could accept that mic. The plug was 1/4" :| But with Gabe's attachment point I could record and SEE that I was getting mostly a clean fundamental down two octaves below the bass clef.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

boneagain wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:07 am
On the old TTF Gabe made a good point about picking up low octaves on the bass trombone better with a contact mic clipped to the water key lever. I found that the Korg clip-on pickup worked much better than a couple cheaper alternatives I tried. The trick nowadays would be to find a phone that could accept that mic. The plug was 1/4" :| But with Gabe's attachment point I could record and SEE that I was getting mostly a clean fundamental down two octaves below the bass clef.
Interesting. Contact pick ups. I'll look into that. Thanks.
afugate

Post by afugate »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:21 am Interesting. Contact pick ups. I'll look into that. Thanks.
If you're an Apple phone guy, the Peterson contact pickup I mentioned earlier is a contact mic. It has a standard 3.5mm plug and works well with Apple's lightning converter.

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Accessories”