case recommendations needed

Diana6

case recommendations needed

Post by Diana6 »

I need to find a hard, lighter weight, case for a Benge 170 (8" bell, straight) ... a smaller design is would be best.

My son's Benge has a nice King case, but it's too big and heavy to take to college. He thought he was going to use his King 606 case, but it doesn't fit.

The carbon King Legend case may or may now fit and I don't have time to buy and return right now. It seems kind of big and heavy as well.

Although we thought a hard case would be best, are these new foam cases pretty protective?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... case-black

I need a suggestion that would be a sure thing since we only have a week before he leaves.

Thanks
GabrielRice

Re: case recommendations needed

Post by GabrielRice »

Those ProTec Max cases are a good value. I wouldn't check one under a plane, but for everyday schlepping it's pretty good protection and very lightweight.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I prefer MTS, Gator, and SKB ABS plastic cases with aluminum valences. They are nearly indestructible, cheap, and very lightweight. You may have to hunt a bit with our supply disruptions. They are usually available somewhere. Doug Bert may have one for you at BRASS EXCHANGE.

I have my bass trombone in a similar Protec case. I keep a close eye on it. My Gator case got kicked off a
4 foot riser. The only damage occurred when a chief engineer, also the clumsy culprit, removed the slide to inspect for damage, put it back in the case upside down, and closed the case. There are some things no case can protect against, including chief engineers. At that, the damage he caused was cosmetic, and did affect form, fit, or function. I wouldn’t expect the same outcome from a Protec case.

On the other hand, the case that you are looking at will probably fit the horn. Occasionally one of the plastic cases is not a good fit. Another plastic case will then be found to work.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Diana6

Post by Diana6 »

Are there any others like these or are there only 3 of this plastic case variety.

Of these 3, is there one that is best?
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

MTS is made in the USA. It is prettier. There is a chart of slide widths on this site. Find it and measure your 170 as directed. If it comes out 69 mm to 70 mm, similar to King 2b and Conn 6H, any MTS, Gator, or SKB will work. Equally well.

You might need to google Conn 6H slide width to find it.

My Shires has a wider slide and it only fits in a no name case: It could be a Bach or Bundy student case. There is a bit of foam hidden by felt material at the spit valve end that centers the slide. I could take a hammer to it and probably make those cases work with the wider slide. But I had the the no name case.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

"Rigid" Foam:
• The ProTec MAX case, as noted, is pretty good. Very lightweight. Not indestructible.
• The ProTec PRO PAC case is much better - but heavier and more expensive.
• BAM cases are also very good - but rather expensive.
• Kaces cases appear to be pretty good.
• WolfPak cases are not very good, even though inexpensive.

Rigid ABS:
For ABS cases, I'd stick with MTS, SKB 360, or Gator.
All are affordable and provide good protection, but are a little heavier than foam.

Good luck, Diana
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Get one of the 3 ABS cases mentioned above and you are done.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Diana6

Post by Diana6 »

Thanks guys... I ordered the MTS case.

I saw that DJ wrote some very positive reviews for it online.

Return to “Accessories”