Hat Mute Stand

tctb

Hat Mute Stand

Post by tctb »

I need a stand for my hat mute but can't seem to find one . I am happy to make something myself if I can find a pattern . Has anyone made their own stand and if so please show me some pictures.
Last edited by tctb on Thu May 12, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
BGuttman

Re: Hat Mute Stand

Post by BGuttman »

I can't show you a picture, but take a wire coat hanger and form the "hanger" part into a loop the size of the derby. Straighten the hook part. The straightened part can now fit inside a "wire" music stand with the rack removed. You can bend the support part so the derby stays in the loop.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

If no articulation is required, some hardware stores offer plastic jawed spring clamps to aid in keeping the wire attached to the brim. Some have a wire slot molded in the jaw. These clamps or bulldog style paper clamps may be used to attach the coat hanger to the side of a Manhasset stand.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

For that matter, I used a large clamp to clamp the rim of the derby to a Manhasset music stand. Again, you have to play into it; can't move it around.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hwlentz

Post by hwlentz »

I also did the wire coat hanger thing. And my Hercules ‘bone stand has a hole in the top that works fine to hold the hat for the one or two songs where it’s used.
sstelmack

Post by sstelmack »

I just used a cheap mic stand with a clip. I then put a Hercules trumpet mute holder on it to hold all my other mutes.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Of course, in a pinch you could always just wear it on your head. :P

(cue rim shot for utterly bad trombone dad joke...)
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I have a hat stand from way back. It is a music stand base that has a slot in the top. As a music stand it receives the rectangular section rod that supports a folding desk. Everyone has seen this kind of stand I am sure. The hat holder has the same design rod but with a metal ring to hold the hat, and the ends of the ring are held by a spring between.

It works great, but I have never been in a section where hat was really desired, nor have I been in one where everyone had a hat someplace.

If I didn't have a stand and I needed to use a hat, the spring clamp to a robust stand would be a good solution.
tctb

Post by tctb »

Thanks you all for your suggestions!
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:

Return to “Accessories”