Hercules DS520B Trombone Stand

walldaja

Hercules DS520B Trombone Stand

Post by walldaja »

I was looking for a more stage friendly stand when I ordered the Hercules DS520B stand. Unfortunately, I was using the Neotech trombone grip. This caused problems hooking the slide crossbars on to the holding mechanism.

After getting more comfortable with holding a Bb / F horn I removed the Neotech grip. I felt it was holding me back from making mute changes as quickly as I wanted to--felt like my left hand was permanently attached to the horn. Now mute changes can be done with either hand.

Removing the grip made me reconsider the utility of the Hercules stand. No longer a problem getting the horn on or off the stand. A plus, it holds the horn at a convenient angle and a little higher than either my K&M or Hamilton.

It may not be as transportable as the K&M but it certainly seems safer--no more rocking trombone. Back to transporting the K&M, I'm on my second one. K&M replaced my first one because the mechanism rusted from the moisture of being carried in the bell of a warm horn on a cold winter night. I no longer carry the K&M in the bell for that very reason.

It is now my "go to" stand for both Bb / F horns and my straight small bores--the holding feature is adjustable for just the width I need.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
jbeatenbough

Re: Hercules DS520B Trombone Stand

Post by jbeatenbough »

I own three and love them, but two of my horns don't work well. Yamaha 354 slide is too narrow to fit. My shires wants to tip side ways and is heavy enough to expand the slide clamp.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I picked up a lightly used one on eBay to leave in my teaching room at the University here. They have had a bell cover policy during Covid for the times that we have been allowed to teach in person. This stand allows me to leave the bell cover on and still set my horn down securely.

Great for this circumstance, but it's heavy and slower for setting the horn down or picking it up off the stand, so I don't see it becoming something I would use on gigs. It fits my current needs in that instance.

Jim Scott
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I used mine when I was playing with a Silent Mute. Can leave the mute in on the stand.
Steve
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:04 am I picked up a lightly used one on eBay to leave in my teaching room at the University here. They have had a bell cover policy during Covid for the times that we have been allowed to teach in person. This stand allows me to leave the bell cover on and still set my horn down securely.

Great for this circumstance, but it's heavy and slower for setting the horn down or picking it up off the stand, so I don't see it becoming something I would use on gigs. It fits my current needs in that instance.

Jim Scott
I bought mine for the same reason. Once bell covers are no longer a thing back to the original trombone stands I go!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)

Return to “Accessories”