What’s your favorite trombone case?

Schlitz

What’s your favorite trombone case?

Post by Schlitz »

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: What’s your favorite trombone case?

Post by BGuttman »

I'm going to talk gig bags (the ones I have owned thus far):

1. Altieri (my favorite): Great slide protection. So-so bell protection. Huge pocket that can take a music folder, a trombone stand, a wire stand, and a week's change in underwear. There is another small pocket inside the big one that can take mouthpiece, water spray, couple of lubricants, and some clothespins. Problems: If you overload the case and insist on using the shoulder strap you can rip the strap holder from the case. Have had zipper problems after a few years of steady use. Don't fly with this one, or put it in the luggage compartment of a bus.

2. Tuxedo: Fair slide protection (better when you load the slide insert so the board is outward). Little bell protection. Small pocket that can take mouthpiece, slide sprayer, lubricants, and not much more. An old design that should be used when you will have the bag with you all the time. Will fit in the overhead of most planes, but if they make you gate check it, watch out!!

3. Reunion Blues (original Cronkite): Fair slide protection (better when you load the slide insert so the board is outward), so-so bell protection (about the same as Altieri). A small pouch is provided that will allow you to put in a mouthpiece or three, sprayer, lubes, etc. but it has no fixed location and can move around inside the bag. Will fit in many airplane overheads, but I would never gate check it.

4. TKL. Similar to Tuxedo bag in appearance and function, but bell protection is better (comparable to Cronkite/Reunion). Small pocket for sprayer, mouthpiece, and lubes. Same caveats as Reunion Blues.

Note that all 4 of the bags above allow me to keep a "convertible" cup mute in the bell (or a practice mute or an in-bell stand).

5. (Watch out for this one) the bag that sells for between $15 and $30 on Ebay. Comes in several colors, notably black, blue, and red. NO slide protection. NO bell protection. Backpack straps are nearly useless. Nowhere to put a mouthpiece, sprayer, or anything else. It's cheap for a reason!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
blast

Post by blast »

A carbon fiber bass case that I got from Irvin Karin. I don't want to start an excuse to hit his business.... I bought the case.... it was cheap... years on, still my best case ever.... happy customer..... your milage may vary.

Chris
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I like:

Eastman
Cronhkite
Basili
Bonna

Really, I guess my favorite are the old-style Reunion Blues with the slide pocket on the outside of the bell bag. Classy, and it stands on its own on the bell. The best.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I love my tan Edwards cases. The retro look is cool.
I took out the box near the bell and have all kinds of room for music and the water bottle.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've got a 1984 Reunion Blues brown leather end loading slide bag that is starting to show its age. I've babied it, and it has stayed nice. Not incredibly protective or functional, but I love it.

I also have an Altieri soft case for my bass. The materials should all be a little thicker, and the straps sturdier. It was cheap and has some interesting features, again not very protective.

I also have an old protec soft case I got with a horn. I think these are the best value for the price. I also got a nice Protec hard case with a new Kanstul bass. The case is very nice, but a bit heavy.

If I had to buy a new one I'd probably get an Eastman or a Protec. I don't want to spend too much on a case, so a fancy Marcus Bonna or Basili is out of the question for me. I prefer utilitarian, but light. I try to be easy on my equipment.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

Dayly use: Protec MX306CTS for my tenor; Bam 3030S for my Bb/F. Protective enough and very very light for going to rehearsals in the trunk.

When I have to throw my trombone in the trailer with all the band’s equipment (a 7 pieces band with keyboards, drums, percussion, guitars...): my Eastman CE176. Works great for tenors and Bb/Fs and feels like a tank.
—Julien—
Courtois Xtreme AC430TL - XO 1634LT
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I really dig the Eastman tenor cases. I even had my valve section for my Shires made especially to fit inside one as the default implementation of Shires valves does not fit by default. Although I understand there have been an umber of iterations over the years and some of the newer ones do fit the Shires rotary.

I also have a Cronkhite double case (bass/bass) that I really like. I normally only carry one horn but two slides in it. It still fits tenors fine although I have a little pillow in it so that if I put a smaller horn in it, they won't bump around and get damaged. I much prefer the cordua to the leather for these.

SKB462 is also high on my list. Mega protective but not heavy in the least!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

The old Bach French-style cases. They were compact, protected the instrument well and didn't weigh a ton. They also aren't made any more :(

Among today's cases, I have a Protec Propack (tenor) for my 36B and an Eastman for my bass. The thing I like about the Protec is the big pocket on the side that holds my UMI stand, but I'm thinking about having my Bach French case repaired (tightened up generally, a new valance made, and covered in real leather), even though it wouldn't have a stand pocket.
Hawaiyan

Post by Hawaiyan »

I've used Eastman, Gator, KTL(similar to Protec Pro Pac) for both tenor and bass, but my favorite is DAC cases, NX-1s for tenor and NX-2s for bass. DAC cases are made in Japan and are very well made! The inside padding and blocks are adjustable using velcro to hold it in place to fit almost any horn . When I first started using this case I was skeptical, being that the padding and blocks were not fixed, but it was the only lightweight case that would fit my customized tenor. I've had the tenor version for 5 years and was so impressed I recently bought one for my bass!
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've used Bam Classic X2, Protec (2nd gen) X2, Eastman, Giardinelli (Reunion Blues?), SKB 360, and Bonna standard bass, extra-light tenor, and screwbell bass.

The Bonna cases are the best all around, at being well built, light, small, protective, comfortable on the back, and having good storage. Most of the other cases did several of these things well, but all or enough of them.

Eastman look great and are small and light, but annoyingly loud (straps banging around), not comfortable on the back, and have almost no storage inside.

Protec are cheap, pretty protective, and have lots of storage, but are heavy and large for what they are. My Bonna bass case is smaller and lighter than the Protec standard tenor case.

BAM Classics were good bass cases, but both had zipper issues, and the outside music pocket wasn't ever large enough. I also had a friend get his bell really crunched in one.

I do love my SKB 360, which I think is an older model. It's tiny, light, and unassuming. Perfect for a small horn and protective enough.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Gard Wheelie bag. Good protection. Takes a tbone stand, wire music stand, music and pockets for mps, fluids, creams, ties, batteries and all other ancillary objects. It’s on wheels, think golf bag, adjustable handle and grab straps but with shoulder straps too. Would not be without it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

I am using a trombone case made by DAC, Japan. The design is sleek, it has backpack-style strap, and it is quite durable as well; I involuntarily tested it many times by riding bicycle under low rail overpass and the bell section slammed against the bridge girder. Two downsides are: 1. The accessory pocket is a little on the small side. I can only manage to cram two mouthpieces (one in its pouch), slide lube, rotor spindle oil, and slide cleaning cloth into it. 2. the shell is a bit thin, and there is almost no space between slide crook and the shell, so I would not trust it to be loaded into airplane cargo hold. (I would use my original Yamaha case instead when I fly next week.). Apart from that, everyday use is fine.

Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

For my bass trombone, Bonna for over 10 years now. I have had several RU bags and BAM. Bonna fits in the overhead of most planes, great protection, light, easy to carry.

For my King Silversonic 3B, I love the classic coffin alligator style case. Inefficient, I know. Retrograde rocks.
DutchGuy

Post by DutchGuy »

I haven't tried that many, but I ended up buying the 'Thomann Trekking Case', backpack version. For those unfamilliar with it: Thomann is a large german music store with their own line of pretty much everything. Their cases are generally incredibly cheap yet very durable. I bought one of their trumpet cases about 10 years ago. it's being used nearly every day and it's still as new. A year ago I got this trombone case, and no complaints so far, except that you cannot fit a stand in it.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

My Bonna standard tenor is the best case I've ever owned by quite a margin.
trombonanza

Post by trombonanza »

I just got an Accord Ultralight for my Bach Artisan tenor. All carbon fiber so it's even lighter than a gig bag but also the most protective material on the market. Interior has enough room for mouthpiece, BERP, grip, rotor oils, and even a place for some music and books. Pricey, but I don't think there's anything better. If only they made a double case...
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:01 am I've used Bam Classic X2, Protec (2nd gen) X2, Eastman, Giardinelli (Reunion Blues?), SKB 360, and Bonna standard bass, extra-light tenor, and screwbell bass.

The Bonna cases are the best all around, at being well built, light, small, protective, comfortable on the back, and having good storage. Most of the other cases did several of these things well, but all or enough of them.
I have a pro tec case for my bass that's rather heavy and I'm looking for something lighter but still protective. Should I go for the bonna or a cronkhite flight bag?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Definitely the Bonna for everyday use.
Bassbonechandler

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 pm Definitely the Bonna for everyday use.
Cool thanks!
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Ive always liked reunion blues/Cronkite bags. Nice thick hide, good padding, never had as issue. I actually just picked up a leftover g series bass bag in leather from edwards for $175. It was a nice surprise since the listing is for cordura, and for that price id consider it a deal.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

For a small horn, I'd have a hard time paying for anything more expensive than an SKB case for the protection and warranty one gets for the price of one.
Bassbonechandler

trombonanza wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm I just got an Accord Ultralight for my Bach Artisan tenor. All carbon fiber so it's even lighter than a gig bag but also the most protective material on the market. Interior has enough room for mouthpiece, BERP, grip, rotor oils, and even a place for some music and books. Pricey, but I don't think there's anything better. If only they made a double case...
Where did you get yours from?
trombonanza

Post by trombonanza »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:37 am
trombonanza wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm I just got an Accord Ultralight for my Bach Artisan tenor. All carbon fiber so it's even lighter than a gig bag but also the most protective material on the market. Interior has enough room for mouthpiece, BERP, grip, rotor oils, and even a place for some music and books. Pricey, but I don't think there's anything better. If only they made a double case...
Where did you get yours from?
I bought mine from Irvin Karan through SlideBone.com. It took a few months due since they're made to order and have to go through US customs but it was well worth the wait.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

I used a Reunion Blues Double case for a while, and I love it because even thought it's a soft case, it's very well padded and I never had any issues, even when it was dropped and on multiple occasions slipped on ice and fell right on top of it. Also has lots of room in case you only need one horn, I usually stuck a trombone stand and some books, and a small bag full of slide stuff in the side I wasn't using for a horn.

This year I changed to a Pro-Tec ProPac case because I wanted something smaller, and something sturdier to fly or travel with, and I pretty much never need two horns anymore. I love this case, with the exception of the backpack straps. The design is such so that the clasp will sometimes pop off if you knock it the wrong way, but some other users on here told me to wrap a zip tie through the clasp and since then I've had no problems.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I used an Eastman case for my Edwards T396A and I had no real serious issues with it, other than it was super noisy. It flies well, it's a small case, although slightly unergonomical. I bought a Cronkhite 'travel' gig bag for it and LOVE how light it is, but it is well protected and also flies well (don't ever check this bag... goes without saying). If I could have one for my small tenor, I would, but I don't want to spend more on my case than I do the instrument (Yamaha 354).
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
SoVTTb

Post by SoVTTb »

It isn't the cushiest, but credit where credit is due, my Eastman case has taken a beating and has protected three horns well.

It's gone across the Atlantic a couple times (once gate checked, horror of horrors), been dropped onto concrete, and run into traffic signs at normal bicycling speed, and has kept my bell unscathed and slide aligned through it all.

Plus you get shiny colors.
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Redthunder wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:17 am This year I changed to a Pro-Tec ProPac case because I wanted something smaller, and something sturdier to fly or travel with, and I pretty much never need two horns anymore. I love this case, with the exception of the backpack straps. The design is such so that the clasp will sometimes pop off if you knock it the wrong way, but some other users on here told me to wrap a zip tie through the clasp and since then I've had no problems.
How are you finding the velco straps for the handle and the slide internally?
Mine are just about flogged out, and barely hold in place anymore.
looking to take it to an upholsterer to get it replaced with a better quality velco.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Zandit75 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:16 pm
looking to take it to an upholsterer to get it replaced with a better quality velco.
The handle straps are fine as of right now. However I don't seem to have any internal velcro straps for the slide section. Do you have a different version of the ProPac? The only strap I have on the inside is for the bell section, and that's a clasp, not velcro.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Altieri. Solid slide protection, adequate bell protection, and tons of room for other stuff.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am Altieri. Solid slide protection, adequate bell protection, and tons of room for other stuff.
They no longer make trombone cases. :frown:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I had a Cronkhite double bag. The construction and quality was fantastic, but the design was not. The second you stored it in a locker, you were in for a world of hurt for whatever bell section was upside down. Oil would go into the tuning crook, and it would turn into honey, even if it was all Hetmans, and that was that.

I really like the Edwards 396A case, and my Ritter gig bag works just fine.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am
norbie2018 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am Altieri. Solid slide protection, adequate bell protection, and tons of room for other stuff.
They no longer make trombone cases. :frown:
Their is nothing I saw on their website that indicates they're done making them. They are also for sale at Dillon's etc.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 am
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am They no longer make trombone cases. :frown:
Their is nothing I saw on their website that indicates they're done making them. They are also for sale at Dillon's etc.
I just emailed them about a new case. Their trombone bag maker just left the company and they don't have a replacement.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 am Their is nothing I saw on their website that indicates they're done making them. They are also for sale at Dillon's etc.
I just emailed them about a new case. Their trombone bag maker just left the company and they don't have a replacement.
I have 2 Altieri trombone bags that need new zippers and on their site they say they don't replace zippers on trombone (and some other) bags :weep:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 am Their is nothing I saw on their website that indicates they're done making them. They are also for sale at Dillon's etc.
That's wild - they have only one person who specializes in making trombone cases. If you want one of their stock cases I'd imagine retailers should have some in stock. That's a bummer - I really like mine and have had it for over 20 years.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I wanted a custom bag for my contra, since they were one of the few (or only, other than Cronkhite/Torpedo) options for that.

He did say that if they get someone, they'll start that back up.
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

WolfPak w/legs, Great protection for slide and bell. Room for a mute in the bell and a mpc and slide lubricant in the bottom compartment. Solid case.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Redthunder wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 am
Zandit75 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:16 pm
The handle straps are fine as of right now. However I don't seem to have any internal velcro straps for the slide section. Do you have a different version of the ProPac? The only strap I have on the inside is for the bell section, and that's a clasp, not velcro.
Looks like they have had a design change recently.
This is a picture taken from Amazon, and it shows a different strap for the valve section, mine is just a thinner piece of velcro that wraps around the valve section to secure it snuggly.
The flap section that holds the slide is the same though, and that velcro section is losing it's grip. The wraparound velcro strap for the carry handles is also getting sloppy.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Zandit75 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:12 pm Looks like they have had a design change recently.
This is a picture taken from Amazon, and it shows a different strap for the valve section, mine is just a thinner piece of velcro that wraps around the valve section to secure it snuggly.
The flap section that holds the slide is the same though, and that velcro section is losing it's grip. The wraparound velcro strap for the carry handles is also getting sloppy.
I think we may have been talking about different models.

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-IP306CT-T ... GP1NJBE9V6

That's the case I have, and it looks very different inside from the one I think you're describing. I called mine a Pro-Pac because it's printed somewhere on the case but it looks like it's actually called an IPAC or something.
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Redthunder wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 am
Zandit75 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:12 pm Looks like they have had a design change recently.
I think we may have been talking about different models.

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-IP306CT-T ... GP1NJBE9V6

That's the case I have, and it looks very different inside from the one I think you're describing. I called mine a Pro-Pac because it's printed somewhere on the case but it looks like it's actually called an IPAC or something.
All good, there's too many options!!
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I recently purchased a Gard 21-MLK Leather Tenor Bag. I love it!! It has a suspension system (2 foam U shaped pads, a cone attached to the bell end that fits inside the bell, and a foam pad that is against the tuning slide) The U shaped pads are adjustable. This system suspends your bell so it doesn't set against the outside of the case. The slide compartment is well padded, with a piece of plywood sewn in to avoid flexing. Very well padded. Straps are removable, and can be setup to carry over one shoulder, or like a backpack.

$239 in black leather, $159 in Cordura with leather trim. Musician's Friend had a special when I ordered mine - 15% off w/ free shipping. $203 shipped!

Links to Gard and Musician's Friend

http://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/tr ... ather.html

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... tid=411608
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

[/quote]

I have 2 Altieri trombone bags that need new zippers and on their site they say they don't replace zippers on trombone (and some other) bags :weep:
[/quote]

I have had my shoe repair guy replace zippers and fix leather handles.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Bonna, Eastman, and the case that came with my XO 1632RGL-LT. Also the new case for the King 2B.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Tromborinha

Post by Tromborinha »

I like my Bonna Case. It's safe and good to handle and I'm able to store a straightmute and some sheets in the case. With a little bit of luck it's allowed as carry-on baggage on flights.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Any old school French style case suits me best, including Walt Johnson, which is heavy. It's the thin profile so it doesn't bang my leg I think I like.
Chiptingle

Post by Chiptingle »

GBP

Post by GBP »

I really like the Edwards carbon cases for bass
WillSlideForMoney

Post by WillSlideForMoney »

Does anyone here use the SKB golf travel cases for their trombone? If so, which one?

The first link below MAY fit my Marcus Bonna bass bone case...maybe.

Anyone have tips as to which one would be better?

https://www.amazon.com/SKB-Standard-Gol ... op?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4814W-D ... 9VVSJWE4M1

Much appreciated!
W
Will Holt

Shires Bass Bone - Yellow bell and slide, dual Axial flows
Hammond 20bl + 21bl depending on the gig

Conn Coprion c.1962 (I think?)
Lacquer removed, tiny bell

Mike Mass tenor tenor trombone
Yellow bell
Rotor
Basically a copy of a Shires
Ruchard1

Post by Ruchard1 »

Do you know if the Eastman case would fit a trombone with Thayer valve?

Return to “Accessories”