What’s your favorite trombone case?

Schlitz

What’s your favorite trombone case?

Post by Schlitz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:13 pm

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: What’s your favorite trombone case?

Post by BGuttman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm going to talk gig bags (the ones I have owned thus far):

1. Altieri (my favorite): Great slide protection. So-so bell protection. Huge pocket that can take a music folder, a trombone stand, a wire stand, and a week's change in underwear. There is another small pocket inside the big one that can take mouthpiece, water spray, couple of lubricants, and some clothespins. Problems: If you overload the case and insist on using the shoulder strap you can rip the strap holder from the case. Have had zipper problems after a few years of steady use. Don't fly with this one, or put it in the luggage compartment of a bus.

2. Tuxedo: Fair slide protection (better when you load the slide insert so the board is outward). Little bell protection. Small pocket that can take mouthpiece, slide sprayer, lubricants, and not much more. An old design that should be used when you will have the bag with you all the time. Will fit in the overhead of most planes, but if they make you gate check it, watch out!!

3. Reunion Blues (original Cronkite): Fair slide protection (better when you load the slide insert so the board is outward), so-so bell protection (about the same as Altieri). A small pouch is provided that will allow you to put in a mouthpiece or three, sprayer, lubes, etc. but it has no fixed location and can move around inside the bag. Will fit in many airplane overheads, but I would never gate check it.

4. TKL. Similar to Tuxedo bag in appearance and function, but bell protection is better (comparable to Cronkite/Reunion). Small pocket for sprayer, mouthpiece, and lubes. Same caveats as Reunion Blues.

Note that all 4 of the bags above allow me to keep a "convertible" cup mute in the bell (or a practice mute or an in-bell stand).

5. (Watch out for this one) the bag that sells for between $15 and $30 on Ebay. Comes in several colors, notably black, blue, and red. NO slide protection. NO bell protection. Backpack straps are nearly useless. Nowhere to put a mouthpiece, sprayer, or anything else. It's cheap for a reason!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
blast

Post by blast » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm

A carbon fiber bass case that I got from Irvin Karin. I don't want to start an excuse to hit his business.... I bought the case.... it was cheap... years on, still my best case ever.... happy customer..... your milage may vary.

Chris
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:34 pm

I like:

Eastman
Cronhkite
Basili
Bonna

Really, I guess my favorite are the old-style Reunion Blues with the slide pocket on the outside of the bell bag. Classy, and it stands on its own on the bell. The best.

Post by whitbey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

I love my tan Edwards cases. The retro look is cool.
I took out the box near the bell and have all kinds of room for music and the water bottle.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 pm

I've got a 1984 Reunion Blues brown leather end loading slide bag that is starting to show its age. I've babied it, and it has stayed nice. Not incredibly protective or functional, but I love it.

I also have an Altieri soft case for my bass. The materials should all be a little thicker, and the straps sturdier. It was cheap and has some interesting features, again not very protective.

I also have an old protec soft case I got with a horn. I think these are the best value for the price. I also got a nice Protec hard case with a new Kanstul bass. The case is very nice, but a bit heavy.

If I had to buy a new one I'd probably get an Eastman or a Protec. I don't want to spend too much on a case, so a fancy Marcus Bonna or Basili is out of the question for me. I prefer utilitarian, but light. I try to be easy on my equipment.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:28 am

Dayly use: Protec MX306CTS for my tenor; Bam 3030S for my Bb/F. Protective enough and very very light for going to rehearsals in the trunk.

When I have to throw my trombone in the trailer with all the band’s equipment (a 7 pieces band with keyboards, drums, percussion, guitars...): my Eastman CE176. Works great for tenors and Bb/Fs and feels like a tank.
-Julien-
Yamaha 891Z, Yamaha 640
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 am

I really dig the Eastman tenor cases. I even had my valve section for my Shires made especially to fit inside one as the default implementation of Shires valves does not fit by default. Although I understand there have been an umber of iterations over the years and some of the newer ones do fit the Shires rotary.

I also have a Cronkhite double case (bass/bass) that I really like. I normally only carry one horn but two slides in it. It still fits tenors fine although I have a little pillow in it so that if I put a smaller horn in it, they won't bump around and get damaged. I much prefer the cordua to the leather for these.

SKB462 is also high on my list. Mega protective but not heavy in the least!
Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:38 pm

The old Bach French-style cases. They were compact, protected the instrument well and didn't weigh a ton. They also aren't made any more :(

Among today's cases, I have a Protec Propack (tenor) for my 36B and an Eastman for my bass. The thing I like about the Protec is the big pocket on the side that holds my UMI stand, but I'm thinking about having my Bach French case repaired (tightened up generally, a new valance made, and covered in real leather), even though it wouldn't have a stand pocket.
Hawaiyan

Post by Hawaiyan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 pm

I've used Eastman, Gator, KTL(similar to Protec Pro Pac) for both tenor and bass, but my favorite is DAC cases, NX-1s for tenor and NX-2s for bass. DAC cases are made in Japan and are very well made! The inside padding and blocks are adjustable using velcro to hold it in place to fit almost any horn . When I first started using this case I was skeptical, being that the padding and blocks were not fixed, but it was the only lightweight case that would fit my customized tenor. I've had the tenor version for 5 years and was so impressed I recently bought one for my bass!
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:01 am

I've used Bam Classic X2, Protec (2nd gen) X2, Eastman, Giardinelli (Reunion Blues?), SKB 360, and Bonna standard bass, extra-light tenor, and screwbell bass.

The Bonna cases are the best all around, at being well built, light, small, protective, comfortable on the back, and having good storage. Most of the other cases did several of these things well, but all or enough of them.

Eastman look great and are small and light, but annoyingly loud (straps banging around), not comfortable on the back, and have almost no storage inside.

Protec are cheap, pretty protective, and have lots of storage, but are heavy and large for what they are. My Bonna bass case is smaller and lighter than the Protec standard tenor case.

BAM Classics were good bass cases, but both had zipper issues, and the outside music pocket wasn't ever large enough. I also had a friend get his bell really crunched in one.

I do love my SKB 360, which I think is an older model. It's tiny, light, and unassuming. Perfect for a small horn and protective enough.
Bass Trombone
DL Band
SLO Symphony
Geordie

Post by Geordie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 am

Gard Wheelie bag. Good protection. Takes a tbone stand, wire music stand, music and pockets for mps, fluids, creams, ties, batteries and all other ancillary objects. It’s on wheels, think golf bag, adjustable handle and grab straps but with shoulder straps too. Would not be without it.
Life is not a rehearsal
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:32 pm

I am using a trombone case made by DAC, Japan. The design is sleek, it has backpack-style strap, and it is quite durable as well; I involuntarily tested it many times by riding bicycle under low rail overpass and the bell section slammed against the bridge girder. Two downsides are: 1. The accessory pocket is a little on the small side. I can only manage to cram two mouthpieces (one in its pouch), slide lube, rotor spindle oil, and slide cleaning cloth into it. 2. the shell is a bit thin, and there is almost no space between slide crook and the shell, so I would not trust it to be loaded into airplane cargo hold. (I would use my original Yamaha case instead when I fly next week.). Apart from that, everyday use is fine.

Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Alumni & Instructor - Kasetsart University Laboratory School Symphonic Band, Bangkok Thailand
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:19 pm

For my bass trombone, Bonna for over 10 years now. I have had several RU bags and BAM. Bonna fits in the overhead of most planes, great protection, light, easy to carry.

For my King Silversonic 3B, I love the classic coffin alligator style case. Inefficient, I know. Retrograde rocks.
DutchGuy

Post by DutchGuy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:04 pm

I haven't tried that many, but I ended up buying the 'Thomann Trekking Case', backpack version. For those unfamilliar with it: Thomann is a large german music store with their own line of pretty much everything. Their cases are generally incredibly cheap yet very durable. I bought one of their trumpet cases about 10 years ago. it's being used nearly every day and it's still as new. A year ago I got this trombone case, and no complaints so far, except that you cannot fit a stand in it.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:56 pm

My Bonna standard tenor is the best case I've ever owned by quite a margin.
trombonanza

Post by trombonanza » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm

I just got an Accord Ultralight for my Bach Artisan tenor. All carbon fiber so it's even lighter than a gig bag but also the most protective material on the market. Interior has enough room for mouthpiece, BERP, grip, rotor oils, and even a place for some music and books. Pricey, but I don't think there's anything better. If only they made a double case...
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 pm

Burgerbob wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:01 am
I've used Bam Classic X2, Protec (2nd gen) X2, Eastman, Giardinelli (Reunion Blues?), SKB 360, and Bonna standard bass, extra-light tenor, and screwbell bass.

The Bonna cases are the best all around, at being well built, light, small, protective, comfortable on the back, and having good storage. Most of the other cases did several of these things well, but all or enough of them.
I have a pro tec case for my bass that's rather heavy and I'm looking for something lighter but still protective. Should I go for the bonna or a cronkhite flight bag?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Definitely the Bonna for everyday use.
Bass Trombone
DL Band
SLO Symphony
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:15 am

Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 pm
Definitely the Bonna for everyday use.
Cool thanks!
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:14 am

Ive always liked reunion blues/Cronkite bags. Nice thick hide, good padding, never had as issue. I actually just picked up a leftover g series bass bag in leather from edwards for $175. It was a nice surprise since the listing is for cordura, and for that price id consider it a deal.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:09 pm

For a small horn, I'd have a hard time paying for anything more expensive than an SKB case for the protection and warranty one gets for the price of one.

Return to “Accessories”