2nd the GARD wheelie bag!
Elow

Re: What’s your favorite trombone case?

Post by Elow »

Shires Q series bonna style case and shires marco magi are what i use
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Big fan of my Bonna bass case. As sleek and lightweight as any bass trombone case has a right to be, great protection, comfortable backpack straps, plenty of storage space. Had it for... 14 years probably? And it's showing no signs of wearing out.

My ultraslim (pre-Torpedo) Cronkhite bag for small straight tenor in two tone leather always turns heads, and of course is feather light. Hardly even feel it on my back while biking. I don't love the need to pull the slide sleeve out to access the bell; it makes getting the instrument in/out a bit more inconvenient than with the Bonna.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Protech Ipac. compact, not too expensive, practical. Shires Margo Magi case are very nice compact, pricy and no place to hold thins in an outside pocket, but otherwise a very nice case.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Gard Wheelie bag every time. Does away with multiple other bags, good slide protection too. Even manages a couple of mutes. There was a video on YouTube showing the features.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My Reeves Brass double tenor hard case. It is outstanding and the worries I had about it have been dispelled after owning and using it for a year.
DSC_0266.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I like the vintage woodshell cases, especially the Bach french-style and Conn Stratoliners.
I don't like the grubby look, feel or smell, though, which is why I like to re-lined them with new fabric, and sometimes re-skin the outside. It's time consuming, and never comes out exactly as I would like, but having a one-of-a-kind is cool, IMO.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Does anyone here use the SKB golf travel cases for their trombone? If so, which one?

The first link below MAY fit my Marcus Bonna bass bone case...maybe.

Anyone have tips as to which one would be better?

https://www.amazon.com/SKB-Standard-Gol ... op?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4814W-D ... 9VVSJWE4M1
I use the second one and my bass Bonna case fits perfectly with room for extra clothes or mutes or whatever.

Doug
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I loved my vintage King Coffin case. And when I was on the road I had an Anvil case. Indestructible!
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

The best bass case I have ever had and I had very many over the years is one I bought from Irvin Karan (please dont start... I speak as I find!) Its a carbon fibre shell with a blue leather cover, back pack straps or shoulder strap or just the handle, its been absolutely the best case I have ever owned. New York Artist Series.
Blue Trombone Case 1.jpg
Blue Trombone Case 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

DougHulme wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:03 pm The best bass case I have ever had and I had very many over the years is one I bought from Irvin Karan (please dont start... I speak as I find!) Its a carbon fibre shell with a blue leather cover, back pack straps or shoulder strap or just the handle, its been absolutely the best case I have ever owned. New York Artist Series.
What brand is that?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

The Eastman fiberglass case is fantastic. I also had a San Fran. Reunion Blues bag that was fantastic...sold it to Pete Ellefson over 10 years ago (and wish I would have kept it). Currently have a Pro Tec case that is (IMO) awful. Overall protection is good, but the way the slide comes out I have already put a small scratch in my bell...
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

SwissTbone wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm
DougHulme wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:03 pm The best bass case I have ever had and I had very many over the years is one I bought from Irvin Karan (please dont start... I speak as I find!) Its a carbon fibre shell with a blue leather cover, back pack straps or shoulder strap or just the handle, its been absolutely the best case I have ever owned. New York Artist Series.
What brand is that?
I think it is:
http://slidebone.com/index.php?cPath=25_198
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Indeed - thats the one.... Doug
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Nice. Thanks!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I already answered this, but reading through other's favorite cases got me wondering - when did all the aftermarket cases start to become available?
Also, who else is old enough to remember when you knew what make, and probably the model, another player owned just by the case? (Usually Conn, King, or Bach; occasionally an Olds)
The old cases were sturdy and protective, though, I don't think most players gave any thought to an aftermarket one.
To answer my own question, I think the demand started when the stock Bach cases steadily got bigger, heavier, and more poorly constructed, hitting bottom with the brown cloth covered monstrosities.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

i really enjoy my Bags of Spain double case (now called Tortejada.) they fit on planes well, hold an alto and tenor pretty well, and the oversized pocket on the back is great for carrying music.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Blue Trombone Case 1.jpgBlue Trombone Case 2.jpg
Now that is a beautiful case! Based on your pic and description, if money were not an obstacle, I'd have every one of my horns in one.
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

Hawaiyan wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 pm I've used Eastman, Gator, KTL(similar to Protec Pro Pac) for both tenor and bass, but my favorite is DAC cases, NX-1s for tenor and NX-2s for bass. DAC cases are made in Japan and are very well made! The inside padding and blocks are adjustable using velcro to hold it in place to fit almost any horn . When I first started using this case I was skeptical, being that the padding and blocks were not fixed, but it was the only lightweight case that would fit my customized tenor. I've had the tenor version for 5 years and was so impressed I recently bought one for my bass!
How does the velcro hold up on the movable padding? I'm considering buying one for my Yamaha 891Z. But I fly with my horn and I wonder about the potential of having to check it. Although the laws are now more in our favor I think and won't that case fit in most overheads? Let me know your thoughts.
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

WilliamLang wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:48 am i really enjoy my Bags of Spain double case (now called Tortejada.) they fit on planes well, hold an alto and tenor pretty well, and the oversized pocket on the back is great for carrying music.
How has your bag held up since this post? I'm looking at a cut bell Bags of Spain case. My concern is the zippers.
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

sirisobhakya wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:32 pm I am using a trombone case made by DAC, Japan. The design is sleek, it has backpack-style strap, and it is quite durable as well; I involuntarily tested it many times by riding bicycle under low rail overpass and the bell section slammed against the bridge girder. Two downsides are: 1. The accessory pocket is a little on the small side. I can only manage to cram two mouthpieces (one in its pouch), slide lube, rotor spindle oil, and slide cleaning cloth into it. 2. the shell is a bit thin, and there is almost no space between slide crook and the shell, so I would not trust it to be loaded into airplane cargo hold. (I would use my original Yamaha case instead when I fly next week.). Apart from that, everyday use is fine.

How has the DAC held up for you? I'm considering getting one for my Yamaha 891Z. Have you flown with it yet, or still use the Yamaha case
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

jbeatenbough wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:28 pm
SwissTbone wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm

What brand is that?
I think it is:
http://slidebone.com/index.php?cPath=25_198
His website no longer has cases on it. And I can't see the images you have shared. Could you tell me the maker of the bag?
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

I am searching for a new case for my .508 - 8 inch bell tenor. Yamaha 891ZD 9 (cut bell) and I see so many on this thread recommend Eastman for protection and travel. Not sure if the new cases they are making are the same as the ones mentioned here. And Marcus Bonna seems to be a big winner as well. I didn't see anyone talk about BAGS of Spain? Maybe one mention - does anyone have experience with a case made by them?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

wheelabaker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:15 pm I am searching for a new case for my .508 - 8 inch bell tenor. Yamaha 891ZD 9 (cut bell) and I see so many on this thread recommend Eastman for protection and travel. Not sure if the new cases they are making are the same as the ones mentioned here. And Marcus Bonna seems to be a big winner as well. I didn't see anyone talk about BAGS of Spain? Maybe one mention - does anyone have experience with a case made by them?
If you have a cut bell, you may as well use a cut bell case. Bonna makes a tiny little case for small straight cut bell horns.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/marcus-bonn ... ell-nylon/
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

it's held up really well for me. i'll continue to get them when i need another.
wheelabaker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:49 pm
WilliamLang wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:48 am i really enjoy my Bags of Spain double case (now called Tortejada.) they fit on planes well, hold an alto and tenor pretty well, and the oversized pocket on the back is great for carrying music.
How has your bag held up since this post? I'm looking at a cut bell Bags of Spain case. My concern is the zippers.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Over 50 years of playing I've had tons of different cases, both manufacturer's and aftermarket. I've used SKB, Gator, Protech and others. The best case I've found is made by Crossrock. Expensive, yes, but very sturdy, yet light and has ample storage. They also look great
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

:clever:
wheelabaker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:53 pm
sirisobhakya wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:32 pm I am using a trombone case made by DAC, Japan. The design is sleek, it has backpack-style strap, and it is quite durable as well; I involuntarily tested it many times by riding bicycle under low rail overpass and the bell section slammed against the bridge girder. Two downsides are: 1. The accessory pocket is a little on the small side. I can only manage to cram two mouthpieces (one in its pouch), slide lube, rotor spindle oil, and slide cleaning cloth into it. 2. the shell is a bit thin, and there is almost no space between slide crook and the shell, so I would not trust it to be loaded into airplane cargo hold. (I would use my original Yamaha case instead when I fly next week.). Apart from that, everyday use is fine.

How has the DAC held up for you? I'm considering getting one for my Yamaha 891Z. Have you flown with it yet, or still use the Yamaha case

It holds up quite well, with only bruises in the coating layer. But I have not hit it as much as before since I came back from Japan to Thailand.

I now use Yamaha case, but only because it has more storage space and also I don’t need backpack strap that much anymore (traveling mostly by car now). I still recommend the DAC.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I handled a DAC the other day. It looked great!

My favorites hard cases include...

--Eastman
--Bach French-style cases from the 60s/70s
--Gator hard case.

If we are including gig bags, then...

--Altieri
--Superfine
--Reunion Blues SF / Cronkhite
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I am somewhat reluctant to go into the more expensive cases (Bonna, DAC, Wiseman etc.).

For alto, large tenor or bass I mostly use Cronkhite-style bags (Cronkhite, Reunion Blues and Gard) with the slide compartment inside. I find them quite safe if handled with a little care, very practical to carry around and you can add quite a bit of extra stuff inside. However I almost always need an additional bag for music, music stand, tablet etc.

For small tenor I use a Gator or SKB. Quite small and really safe from my perspective.

If I have to take two instruments, I would take my older Bags of Spain tenor/alto case or my Gewa double bag which theoretically fits up to two basses.

One thing that I am kind of missing is a lean, but cheaper hard case for large tenor and bass. Would be great to have the Gator/SKB equivalent for these instruments. Just for some harsher travel and/or gig situations.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

Thank you all who responded, very helpful. I couldn't decide between an old school tight fit hard case, such as Eastman, Crossrock, BAM Stage - or the soft pack variety like BAM (doesn't do cut bell). I found a cheap BAM alternative, the K-SES case but the attached music sheet holders aren't removable. The DAC NX-1S seemed very expensive and seemed a little thin and non protective. Also the cases with the moveable velcro pieces seem like they wouldn't really create a tight fit and that the velcro might wear out after a while. So . . . After all my waffling and research and questions I finally went with one of the more expensive options the Bags of Spain Cut Bell basic blue. (Although there are more expensive cases out there.) This was the one I landed on. I only wish they made one with buckles instead of a zipper. They do make them for other instruments, not trombone. It definitely is never going under the tour bus or in with the rest of the cargo under a plane. So I guess if the horn can't go with me I'm not going. I haven't received the case yet, but I'll post my thoughts when I do, for anyone who my want to know about it. It may seem silly but one of the things that I wanted was something with a hard surface for stickers from the countries I play in. And Marcus Bonna doesn't do that unfortunately. I watched a few YouTube "case" reviews and was surprised how few there were to help in my evaluation. I was also surprised how hard it was finding a reliable US dealer to give me a price and sell me a Bags of Spain case. The rep at BAGS was very helpful and I finally went through Houghton Horns to make the purchase. BTW the Horn Guys will get all the Google Hits for trombone cases - but none of those links are valid. And there is a scam sight to avoid that has cases listed for like 43 bucks.
BigBand

Post by BigBand »

Thanks for the heads up on the scam. I saw one of those and figured ... 'too good to be true'.
wheelabaker

Post by wheelabaker »

Here’s a few pics of the Bags of Spain Cut Bell case I went with. Ordered from Houghton Horns. It took about 3 weeks to arrive! So much better than the 10 to 12 weeks expected. It is super compact and light weight made with high quality materials. I thought the music holder would be removable and it isn’t. A little unsure how and where to strap in the mouth piece case and wish there was something a little more constraining to hold the slide in a specific spot. Was unsure if the two sides when closed and zipped would put undo pressure on parts of the horn. But it seems to keep it snug without undue stress. Got my stickers on and overall I’m thrilled with the case. It seems like it should cost a little less but I guess it’s worth it if the case holds up for a good while. Hoping the zipper doesn’t have an issue. Looking forward to traveling with it.

Return to “Accessories”