Need Some Rath Leadpipe Help

Reidclag

Need Some Rath Leadpipe Help

Post by Reidclag »

This might be a stretch, but I'm hoping someone can help me pick out a new leadpipe for me to try out on my R6. Well I'm thinking a different leadpipe will help... here are some details.

So I've had a Rath R6 tenor for about 3 months and I'm really enjoying the horn, it's definitely an upgrade from my old Holton TR160 (which is for sale) but there's a few things I actually like better about the TR160 and I'm hoping a different leadpipe will help a little. The main issues involve playing high and soft, where I tend to get an airy tone and the partials don't feel particularly comfortable. I don't have these symptoms playing my other horns (TR160 and Getzen 3062AFR) and changing to a different mouthpiece doesn't fix the issue. Sometimes it feels like playing soft and high is actually easier on my bass, which I mostly play bass trombone so that's definitely part of the equation. The R6 is also pretty heavy for a tenor and that probably doesn't help. Though it absolutely excels with everything loud, great foundation and ping to notes, super easy to put a hole through a wall.

Here's the specs of the horn.
Bell = 8.5" nickel silver, screw bell
Slide = R4 in yellow brass
Tuning Slides = Yellow brass
Leadpipe = 41A (standard for R4)

Any ideas of what Rath leadpipe might work better? And do the R3 pipes also fit on a R4 slide? There's so many options that I don't want to guess, so any feedback would be super helpful.
"Always be happy, never be satisfied."
ithinknot

Re: Need Some Rath Leadpipe Help

Post by ithinknot »

Did you get fitted for the horn, or did you select this spec? With a nickel screw bell and the new valve there's quite a lot of mass going on, and it might just need a bit more juice to get going up top. (It might not be the leadpipe that supplies said juice.)

Talk to Tim at Rath.

(What you've got is their tightest option. 41B, 5 or 5B would be more open. R3 pipes are .525" diameter and not suitable.)
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

You say you don’t want to guess, but then happy for others to guess for you!

Did you go and get ‘fitted’ for the horn?

Contact Mick Rath, or your local Rath dealer have a chat and go try the various options….. or spend more time learning how to play that particular set up

As with mouthpiece advice, you will get lots of well intentioned biased advice, a boutique horn is set up to your playing and playing requirements
Reidclag

Post by Reidclag »

Thanks for the input so far. To answer both of you I wasn't fitted for the horn, I bought it used from somebody who wanted to try out the R6 and decided he liked his Shires better. I've been wanting a new tenor for quite a while and this fit the bill.

I know a different leadpipe might not be the answer, but I thought asking on here would be a good start since there's so many people with a wide range of experience and years of knowledge. I have 6 different leadpipes for my 3062AFR and it's amazing how much they change the characteristics of the horn, that's why trying a different leadpipe popped into my head.

Am I asking people to guess for me? Well yea, any question regarding equipment online is asking for an educated guess and I'm looking for guesses more educated than mine. I understand all equipment preferences are biased and different things work for different people. I also play bass guitar here in Nashville and it's very similar, asking 10 people advice on which strings to use on a P bass will probably result in 10 different answers.

Thanks again for the input and I'll send the question over to Rath.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

What leadpipe are you using in the 3062?

If I had that particular Rath, I'd probably put something like a 5 or a 5A in it. Or a Bach 42/42 copy pipe, or something like a Shires 1.5 or an Edwards 1. I tend to not be a fan of the all nickel bells unless I'm going for more of a commercial sound so maybe even something in a more exotic material like the Mt. Vernon 42 copy Brassark offers, in copper.
Reidclag

Post by Reidclag »

Matt K wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:20 am What leadpipe are you using in the 3062?

If I had that particular Rath, I'd probably put something like a 5 or a 5A in it. Or a Bach 42/42 copy pipe, or something like a Shires 1.5 or an Edwards 1. I tend to not be a fan of the all nickel bells unless I'm going for more of a commercial sound so maybe even something in a more exotic material like the Mt. Vernon 42 copy Brassark offers, in copper.
I usually use a Brassark NY50 in seamed copper or nickel silver on the 3062AFR, though it depends on the situation. I've had to play with a bell cover quite a bit recently so I've been trying to brighten my tone since it's slightly muffled. I'd usually consider ordering a Brassark pipe but I recently ordered a new pipe for my contra and it's a 14-16 week wait... He's staying busy haha.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep those options in mind. I also reached out to Rath today so hopefully they'll get back to me soon.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Gotcha. Yeah, if you like the 50 pipe, I'd probably look first for the ones I mentioned for sure! You can always get a stock 42 pipe and see if it improves... iirc they aren't that expensive and in the worst/best case scenario you like it, you can have a collar soldered to it.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Reidclag wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am Thanks for the input so far. To answer both of you I wasn't fitted for the horn, I bought it used from somebody who wanted to try out the R6 and decided he liked his Shires better. I've been wanting a new tenor for quite a while and this fit the bill.

I know a different leadpipe might not be the answer, but I thought asking on here would be a good start since there's so many people with a wide range of experience and years of knowledge. I have 6 different leadpipes for my 3062AFR and it's amazing how much they change the characteristics of the horn, that's why trying a different leadpipe popped into my head.

Am I asking people to guess for me? Well yea, any question regarding equipment online is asking for an educated guess and I'm looking for guesses more educated than mine. I understand all equipment preferences are biased and different things work for different people. I also play bass guitar here in Nashville and it's very similar, asking 10 people advice on which strings to use on a P bass will probably result in 10 different answers.

Thanks again for the input and I'll send the question over to Rath.
Keep it simple at first. As you stated you will do contact Rath and see what they say. Then just try some Rath pipes to begin. Might cost you a few dollars but that's the price you pay for owning a modular instrument. :) I'm sure you'll find something that Rath has to offer.

Return to “Accessories”