Curtis Thumb Rest Review

MTbassbone

Curtis Thumb Rest Review

Post by MTbassbone »

Since SwissBone asked about the Curtis Thumb Rest I figured I would make a new topic, and provide some pics. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros
-relatively inexpensive
-made of polycarbonate, very light
-easy to install/remove
-did not leave a mark or scratch the finish
-did not slip or move out of position
-good return policy (>30 days)

Cons
-curvature of the rest is a little weird
-uses Phillips head screws
-the rest has a grippy rubber type tubing over it
-the rest part is too long and angles back too much (for me)
-does not fit in my case without removing

Overall this is a novel concept with a very reasonable price, but needs some more R&D. It doesn't work for me in the current format, but could see this working well for a young trombonist. The end of the thumb rest digs into the back of my hand. The thumb rest connects to the horn using Phillips head screws. It would be nice if hex or Torx headed screws were used so they would stay on the screwdriver while installing the brace. I considered cutting but then I wouldn't be able to return it. The thumb rest has a grippy rubber tubing over it. You think this would be a plus, but it is so grippy I felt it slowed down my thumb when engaging the valve. I could not see a way to remove it without cutting it off. Unfortunately it does no fit in my case without modifying the case (or getting a different case).

How could it be improved:
-a less severe arc on the thumb rest and potentially shorter
-use a different type of screw drive (i.e. hex or Torx) and include a screwdriver (à la Instrument Innovations)
-offer a removable thumb rest cover or a few different options to customize it to the user

The option to remove the thumb rest after every use sounds nice (i.e. Get-A-Grip (GAG)), but I think the part would get worn out. This could lead to slipping or make it hard to use. This was my experience with the GAG. Also I realize providing extra options and a screwdriver will increase the cost, but if the result is a better product I don't see a major problem with paying more. No grip aid/hand rest solution is perfect, and I suppose there are compromises as with trombones. I bought mine on 11/22/21, and Amazon says I can return it as late as 01/31/22. The return methods are convenient if you life near an Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods, Kohls, or UPS store . YMMV

Next up for me is to try an Ax Handle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MTbassbone

Re: Curtis Thumb Rest Review

Post by MTbassbone »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

You didn't mention the most important thing about it: It's plastic. I had one and didn't like it. I use get a grip instead.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:42 pm You didn't mention the most important thing about it: It's plastic. I had one and didn't like it. I use get a grip instead.
I didn't feel this was a major issue. The polycarbonate didn't flex at all.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Thanks for the excellent review!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Accessories”