Pro Tec IPAC and Max cases

MTbassbone

Pro Tec IPAC and Max cases

Post by MTbassbone »

I have a Yamaha 830 bass and am looking at a few tenors including at Yamaha 882OR. I am assuming they would fit in either of these cases. The IPAC seems more protective than the Max. However, I like the idea of the max being super light. Anyone have the Max? How protective is it. Would either of these horns fit?
Kevbach33

Re: Pro Tec IPAC and Max cases

Post by Kevbach33 »

I have 2 of the Max cases for tenor and bass. They are indeed very lightweight and have integrated backpack straps. The hand slide is stored in the lid with a Velcro strap.

The tenor fits up to a 9" bell, and open wraps, so the Yamaha you're eyeing should fit. Personally I don't care for the music pouch on the tenor case; it looks tacky. Also, the inner compartments for smaller items are pretty shallow.

The bass case is nicer. No tacky music pouch — just a flap with Velcro to cover the backpack straps — and the inner compartments are deep. Your 830 will definitely fit in this; it accommodates up to a 10" bell, and the mold might just fit a Bach 50BO with its long wrap.

Protection is decent for what they are, being a hybrid case versus a true hardshell. You're not going to want to bonk them too much. The nylon is a lower quality than the IPAC or the similarly shaped PROPAC, so easier to scuff. However, the higher quality cases set you back double or more new and do not have backpack straps included fwiw.

Don't forget to factor the PROPAC in your search and comparisons.

Ymmv.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Kevbach33 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 am I have 2 of the Max cases for tenor and bass. They are indeed very lightweight and have integrated backpack straps. The hand slide is stored in the lid with a Velcro strap.

The tenor fits up to a 9" bell, and open wraps, so the Yamaha you're eyeing should fit. Personally I don't care for the music pouch on the tenor case; it looks tacky. Also, the inner compartments for smaller items are pretty shallow.

The bass case is nicer. No tacky music pouch — just a flap with Velcro to cover the backpack straps — and the inner compartments are deep. Your 830 will definitely fit in this; it accommodates up to a 10" bell, and the mold might just fit a Bach 50BO with its long wrap.

Protection is decent for what they are, being a hybrid case versus a true hardshell. You're not going to want to bonk them too much. The nylon is a lower quality than the IPAC or the similarly shaped PROPAC, so easier to scuff. However, the higher quality cases set you back double or more new and do not have backpack straps included fwiw.

Don't forget to factor the PROPAC in your search and comparisons.

Ymmv.
I guess I like the slide position on the IPAC but I like the weight of the Max. Do you have any pics you could post with horns in the case? Is the foam super spongey or is it slightly denser? When using the back pack straps does the fabric pull away from the foam or are they attached to the foam well enough to prevent that?
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I would use a MAX for a cheapo tenor but that is about it. I don't think a Yam 830 will fit, anyway, unless they have a bass version. I would use (and have used) the IPAC without hesitation. Nice case.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

greenbean wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:10 am I would use a MAX for a cheapo tenor but that is about it. I don't think a Yam 830 will fit, anyway, unless they have a bass version. I would use (and have used) the IPAC without hesitation. Nice case.
Is the Max just a gig bag with extra padding?
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

No, it is just a super-cheaply made cloth-covered styrofoam case.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I think I am going to stick with the Yamaha case for now and just use the shoulder strap.

Return to “Accessories”