Mute questions

JCBone

Mute questions

Post by JCBone »

I have a couple questions about mutes.
1. Are Humes and Berg mutes appropriate for orchestral playing or juat big band.
2. What exactly is the H&B mic a mute?
Burgerbob

Re: Mute questions

Post by Burgerbob »

1. Generally, no. You'll want a metal straight for orchestral work.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

1. H&B does make metal straight mutes. Look for the philharmonic (kinda pear shaped, nice for small bore trombones) or symphonic (looks like most other metal mutes, best for large bore). For me, the symphonic is the better mute. YMMV.

As Burgerbob said, the general answer for the fiber mutes in orchestra is no.

2. The "Mic-a-Mute" is a fiber board cup mute with a red velvet lining in the cup portion and a black rubber ring around the rim. They're a bit softer sounding than the standard cup mutes. Note: The tenor size, as I understand it, is the same size as the standard cup mute, but the bass trombone version (model 199) is a good deal bigger than the basic cup mute (model 171), which really fits large tenors.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Generally speaking, metal mutes are most used in orchestral/wind ensemble settings, but it all depends on the conductor.

I was playing in our town-and-gown orchestra doing Don Gillis' Tulsa: A Symphonic Portrait in Oil. It opens with a middle 'C' marked "Cup mute" and sffzp. So I put my Jo-Ral (metal) cup in the bell, and stung that C.

No, not the sound the maestro wanted. Hmmm. So he started the thing again. I didn't sting the C nearly so hard. No, not the sound he wanted. Please, sting that note and get off it. So, now I'm really confused, but the podium says let's move on, work on that please. Sure thing, boss. At the break I asked him if he could recommend a recording of the piece. He recommended a recording from Austria that I managed to track down. When I listened to it, it was clear that the first trombone was using a fiber mute. So I dug out my old Stone-Lined cup, put new corks on it and hauled it to the next rehearsal.

This time I got a big smile when I played it as indicated. At the break, I told the conductor, "The sound you want requires a fiber cup, like a Humes & Berg or a TrumCor. Ask the first trombone to use a fiber cup: most likely they will default to a metal cup.

I was using a Jo-Ral at the time, and I couldn't get the sound he wanted. I use a Wick cup now, and I think I might be able to get closer to the sound he wanted, but it was dead easy with the right mute.

Horses for courses, as they say. There is a reason I have half a dozen straights and four cup mutes. I'm not a fan of the Stone-Lined straight and cup mutes, but I keep them around because they are ubiquitous. Intonation and timbre matching is easier if everyone is using the same mutes, and if that's what a section has in common it's probably best if everyone uses them.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Metal mutes are the most common that you see in orchestral work, but fibre, wood, carbon fibre/fibreglass and plastic are occasionally used by some players. It depends on circumstances and the sound that the player is looking for. A mixture of different materials doesn't blend well.

Jim Scott
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

are we only talking about straight mutes? I would not use an H&B straight (ever), but I have yet to hear a better cup mute than the old fashioned H&B cup mute.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

I wouldn't use H&B for anything if I can avoid it; I find them difficult and unpleasant to play. Response and intonation up and down the horn is dramatically better on a metal Jo-Ral or Wick mute.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Yeah the HB cup is pretty good. I haven’t found one I like better. The small bass one is the right(ish) size for large tenor. I painted it silver to blend in a bit better!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Yeah the HB cup is pretty good. I haven’t found one I like better. The small bass one is the right(ish) size for large tenor. I painted it silver to blend in a bit better!
O man! I wear my red and white with pride!!!!!!

Return to “Accessories”