non-bell Trombone stand

JLivi

non-bell Trombone stand

Post by JLivi »

I assume this is a simple answer, but is the Hercules DS520B the only trombone stand on the market that holds the horn by the slide braces?

I'm going to need a stand that will hold my horn with a bell cover on it. Not to get too into details, but no I can't take the cover off and then put it back on before I play. I'll need something I can pick up and play immediately.
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.27.40 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Re: non-bell Trombone stand

Post by Burgerbob »

It's the only one I know.

Personally, in a situation like that... I just wouldn't use a trombone stand.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I have a stand like that, and depending on which horn you put on it, the horn can spin around the handle. Now I only put straight horns on it. (no top heavy F attachment, certainly not a bass) . Plus, those Hercules stands are heavy and don't fold nicely. If you really must have something, you might try something really out there like a bassoon stand or a guitar stand, or even a shepherd's crook that just holds it up by the rear brace. Or just use a really floppy bell cover.

We're all in the same situation. I'm also just not using a stand.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

It works great for tenor trombones. You can increase the width of the part that grips the slide to make it less likely to turn around.

It will not however work well for most bass trombones with split triggers. The finger paddle often runs right into it.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You only need a trombone stand of you have more than one horn on the gig that you have to play. If the bell cover has to stay on, and you have more than one horn, there is this new kind of stand called the "open-case on the floor" stand that works well in a pinch.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JLivi wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:31 am I'm going to need a stand that will hold my horn with a bell cover on it.
I guess mutes are out if you can never remove your bell cover. Using bell covers on all the instruments must make the ensemble sound a little "different!" :?
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I should mention this is for a basketball arena. I direct a college pep band so keeping an open case on the floor isn't an option, and we don't play with mutes :-)

This will be holding my straight 3b, and hopefully we won't have any issues with the hercules stand. Thanks everyone!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

A 3B should be fine on the Hercules.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

I have one at home. It’s excellent, and I can leave my Silent Brass in. My 352 just fits on it, but a 354 is too narrow to fit on it comfortably
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

I have a new Hercules stand, but find it awkward to put on the horn on the stand since you have to remove your left hand from the slide brace. I find myself having to take the horn out of my left hand, and then hold the horn by the bell in the right hand to get it on the stand. I bought it because of the same bell cover issue, but now only use it if I really need it. And in the collapsed position for carrying, it is much longer than my gig bag, so a pain to carry around.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I just picked up a used Hercules stand on eBay. We aren't using bell covers at the orchestra anymore, but the University that I teach at has a bell cover policy for now. I am leaving it in the studio I teach in, and being able to leave the cover on when I set the horn in the stand is what I was looking for, so it's good in that way. It is a heavy and awkward stand to carry around, and it's not the most stable stand I've ever used. Also, like the previous person posted, it isn't as easy to set the horn down or pick it up as the traditional stands. While it works OK for my limited type of use for now, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for most uses. I don't think I'd trust it at a basketball game in fairly close quarters.

Jim Scott

Return to “Accessories”