Bucket Mute

walldaja

Bucket Mute

Post by walldaja »

There are a wide variations of bucket mutes.

What are your "go to" mutes and why?

Thanks
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
mbtrombone

Re: Bucket Mute

Post by mbtrombone »

soft-tone neoprene practice mute half hanging over the bell. It is light and I rarely use a bucket. I end up using it more for practice and it stores in my music pouch on my case the rare times I need it.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

The original HB bucket is the only one I use. Tried a Jo-Ral, but it was too unwieldy for me..

Some people prefer to match across the section.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

EZ-bucket on small tenor, softone on bass.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The EZ-bucket and Soulo are both nice. H & B has a classic sound, but is a little slower to put on/take off. JoRal is quick for changes but is very heavy to hold. All have pluses and minuses - depends on which you like the best for sound, convenience and matching others the you play with.

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 pm EZ-bucket on small tenor, softone on bass.
Same for me, depending on which band I'm playing with. We like to match the sound through the section.

Always Softone on bass; occasionally Eazy Bucket for tenor if that's what the rest of the section plays.

Jo-Ral is too heavy; Humes & Berg too awkward.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

I use the Peter Gane which is the Cadillac of bucket mutes. It offers the convenience of a Joral style mute without the ridiculous weight and terrible sound/intonation.

But if you need that classic bucket sound there is no replacing the H&B.

One last thought - I always find the indication for bucket mute a disappointment from an arranging standpoint. It’s unlikely to offer any substantial color (if you can hear the section at all with buckets in, which is hardly ever) and, perhaps most importantly, the chances that you will have an entire section bring their buckets is a bit like playing the lotto.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

On ebay I ordered what was listed as a 10" H&B bucket mute for bass trombone.

What arrived was an 11" H&B euphonium bucket mute. It turns out there is no H&B bucket mute for bass trombone *. Why a euphonium needs a bucket mute, I'm not sure.

It fits after I bent the metal fingers inward. I can recall borrowing and trying to use the tenor version on my horn many years ago but that was a difficult stretch.

I'm not recommending it but the 11" definitely has the bell bucketed for maximum velvet tone.

* the H&B website currently shows none being manufactured or sold by H&B
Last edited by robcat2075 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I've had several H&B buckets for 9 1/2" bass trombone. I remember seeing a listing for a 10 1/2" (Bach "L" bell). With 4 clips they are a bit of a drag to attach or remove, but on one of my mutes someone had modified one clip so it could be rotated out of the way (drilled out one of the two attaching rivets). That mute was really quick to put on and take off, although the 4th clip was essentially useless.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

MalecHeermans wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:51 pm ... I always find the indication for bucket mute a disappointment from an arranging standpoint. It’s unlikely to offer any substantial color (if you can hear the section at all with buckets in, which is hardly ever) and, perhaps most importantly, the chances that you will have an entire section bring their buckets is a bit like playing the lotto.
That doesn't seem to be the case around here. Bucket mutes are frequently called for in many charts for my various big bands (probably more common than cups or plungers; we seldom use straights), and I think a section using them sounds quite nice. We always bring our mutes - no excuse to not have at least a Softone – they're so compact and light you can stuff one in your trombone bell! [And to my apparently unsophisticated ear, they sound pretty decent.]
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Thanks guys, gives us something to think about.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

This https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... 67#p143733 very small mod makes a HB bucket easy and very fast to clip on and off. Works very well the tenor 3-clip and the bass 4-clip version.

Best bucket ever, great sound, and now also easy to put on and off.
Skerrett94

Post by Skerrett94 »

Does anyone know whether a SofTone 8.5 will work on a 7.5 bell? Trying to avoid buying two as I rarely need it. Would rather have one that works for large and small bore.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Skerrett94 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:32 am Does anyone know whether a SofTone 8.5 will work on a 7.5 bell? Trying to avoid buying two as I rarely need it. Would rather have one that works for large and small bore.
As a bucket sub draped over the bell? Yes.

As a practice mute? No.

This is based on using my 9½" bass mute with my symphonic tenor.

I do have an 8" SofTone that I use with all my small bores (7½ to 8 inch bells).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Switched my big band bone section to Soft-Tone neoprene mutes over a year ago.
We love the sound, convenience and not scratching up our bells.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I really like the H&B sound and feel wise, but it's slow. Modded mine to slide on like an ezbucket.

Agreed about the JoRal and heaviness. I have one of the neoprene ones, I don't really like the sound, but works well for hotels/fits will in a screw bell case.

I recently borrowed one from a student that Steve Trepani made. 3D printed in the style of a JoRal. I really loved it. Super light, plays well, and really easy to put in and out.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
JoeAumann

Post by JoeAumann »

EZ bucket all the way.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I really like the Ez Bucket
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I like the Eazy Bucket, but generally use a Softone (along with my big band section mates) - lightweight, compact, and sounds just fine (especially with all 4 of us the same).
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I use softone and easy buckets on all my horns. Softone for live playing and easy bucket for studio. No complaints.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Another EZBucket vote. Light, cheap, easy to put on horn without damage, sturdy enough, sounds good. I see now they also make a leather EZBucket.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Basically everyone over here uses the H&B because of the classic sound. I don't find it hard to put on at all and usually Bucket changes are not written within a bar rest. I've always found the EZBucket to sound different, not as "bucket-y" as the original. Also every now and then I play a vintage Peter Gane Bucket. This one is great and has probably the best Bucket sound of all imo but I have a bit of a hard time to slot this one when playing higher than Bb/A (8?th partial). I really liked the Soulo when I tested it twice but still haven't got my own one for no reason.

Return to “Accessories”