Cronkhite double bags

bcschipper

Cronkhite double bags

Post by bcschipper »

I understand that the slides in the Cronkhite double bag are placed in a separate holder that is then placed diagonally inside the bag. My question is: Does this holder take up the entire length of the diagonal inside the bag or is there some space left? How long exactly is the diagonal inside the Cronkhite double bag that would hold a large bore tenor and alto?

The reason for asking is that there is no double bag on the market for German trombones and German trombones have longer slides. My hope is that I could buy a Cronkhite double bag and ask someone to just make a longer holder for the slides that would then still fit within the bag.

Thank you.
SimmonsTrombone

Re: Cronkhite double bags

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

The slide holder on my double bass bag fits straight on, the length of the bag, not diagonally. It fits between the two bell sections. If you are only putting in one horn, your idea may work as there is extra room.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have two double bags, a Reunion Blues double tenor and a Cronkhite double bass.

The slide bag does fit diagonally, and does have some room at the end, but... it's so it kind of nestles into the bell at the diagonal angle. They could be a bit longer with no problems, I think, but not much.

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Reach out to Tom Rice of Superfine Cases. He can make a case to your specs!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Thank you very much. This is all very good information. The photographs help. Basically, I need 35 inches for my slide plus padding. So if the diagonal is 36-37 inches this would be perfect.

Tom Rice of Superfine cases made me a very nice bag for my German tenor trombone. But the last time I talked to him, he did not offer (yet) double cases.

Return to “Accessories”