Holton TR156 leadpipe

Chatname

Holton TR156 leadpipe

Post by Chatname »

Did anyone try the Holton TR156 leadpipe from Brass Ark/ Brad Close? If so, how is it?
slipmo

Re: Holton TR156 leadpipe

Post by slipmo »

It's a really cool pipe, we don't get a lot of orders for them because I think Holton isn't the most "en vogue" buzz/brand name, but they are a great option for players (assume that it was you who ordered one today, Thanks!) that like the focus of a Bach pipe but want an open feel without losing all of the resistance. I feel like this pipe leans on the dense side with just a touch of brilliance.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Thank you very much, and you’re absolutely right in your assumption! Looking forward to receiving it and trying it out! :)
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I have a TR156 and it has an unbelievable high register response yet still feels very open. That's why I decided to design the TR156 reproduction. It's really like the best of both worlds. Highly underrated in my opinion. It's really a fantastic leadpipe, but then I am biased, I suppose.😉
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Now I’m even more looking forward to receiving it!
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

By the way (I should have asked this before ordering..):
Any suggestions regarding which alloy/ production method works best with this particular pipe? I know it depends on a lot, however I’m sure you have some experiences.
I think that could be of interest to others as well, that’s why I post here.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I like the regular drawn yellow brass on this one, but it depends what you're looking for.

Drawn yellow brass = Easy tone production, crisp attacks, great player feedback.

Seamed copper = Warm, nuanced sound. Tonal palette is more interesting. Stable, centered feel.

Seamed yellow brass = Weightier, more dense feel than drawn yellow. Excellent core and projection.

Seamed red brass = Elements of both yellow and copper. Warm sound with good projection as well.

Drawn nickel = Superior projection. Very stable. Almost impossible to overblow. Less player feedback.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
jdetka

Post by jdetka »

Wow! Am I reading this correctly? There is a leadpipe available for the Holton TR156. I have a TR156 from 1976 with rose bell and the leadpipe is missing. I know its a large bore horn but no very little about it except that I really want to get it playable. Any suggestions?
slipmo wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:11 pm It's a really cool pipe, we don't get a lot of orders for them because I think Holton isn't the most "en vogue" buzz/brand name, but they are a great option for players (assume that it was you who ordered one today, Thanks!) that like the focus of a Bach pipe but want an open feel without losing all of the resistance. I feel like this pipe leans on the dense side with just a touch of brilliance.
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

jdetka wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:30 am Wow! Am I reading this correctly? There is a leadpipe available for the Holton TR156. I have a TR156 from 1976 with rose bell and the leadpipe is missing. I know its a large bore horn but no very little about it except that I really want to get it playable. Any suggestions?
slipmo wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:11 pm It's a really cool pipe, we don't get a lot of orders for them because I think Holton isn't the most "en vogue" buzz/brand name, but they are a great option for players (assume that it was you who ordered one today, Thanks!) that like the focus of a Bach pipe but want an open feel without losing all of the resistance. I feel like this pipe leans on the dense side with just a touch of brilliance.
Yes we have this pipe available. Email me [email protected] and we can chat about it
drbucher

Post by drbucher »

The easier high register response is due to a Morse taper mouthpiece shank fitting further down into a deeper mpc receiver, thus increasing the surface area contact between the shank and the receiver, and decreasing lost resonance from the part of the shank exposed. This would seem to increase the efficiency of vibration transfer into the lead pipe, making your work easier and more resonant, especially in the high register. No doubt, Mr. Friedman's idea, since he designed and played it. Comments should be directed to him.
Also see his Bach LT42BOFG. His Bach 45 probably has it too.
Last edited by drbucher on Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

drbucher wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:27 am The easier high register response is due to a Morse taper mouthpiece fitting further down into the lead pipe, thus increasing the surface area contact between the shank and the lead pipe. This would seem to increase the efficiency of resonance transfer into the lead pipe, making your work in the high register easier. No doubt, Mr. Friedman's idea.
What?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:04 am
drbucher wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:27 am The easier high register response is due to a Morse taper mouthpiece fitting further down into the lead pipe, thus increasing the surface area contact between the shank and the lead pipe. This would seem to increase the efficiency of resonance transfer into the lead pipe, making your work in the high register easier. No doubt, Mr. Friedman's idea.
What?
Exactly my response …… what?

According to your statement, other leadpipes are designed to have minimal contact and/or non-matching tapers at the mouthpiece receiving end. That’s nonsense.

I have over 100 leadpipes for upper slide bores from .481 to .562 in my music studio. Not a single one of them is a TR-156 leadpipe (I would love to get one eventually). Yet, every one of them has full contact throughout the entire insertion portion of the mouthpiece shank/leadpipe. If they didn’t have full contact, the would wobble like crazy and probably leak.

Possibly drbucher had a different explanation or idea in mind? Maybe your intent was to state that the design allows the end of the mouthpiece to get closer to the throat or aperture (smallest diameter) of the leadpipe?
Last edited by Crazy4Tbone86 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Almost right.
Varying the insertion depth of a mouthpiece will change the characteristics of the sound, but that's not due to changing the surface contact area between the mouthpiece shank the leadpipe. Changing the mouthpiece insertion depth changes the overall shape of the tapering diameter that is a combination of the mouthpiece backbore added to the taper of the leadpipe. Credits to Sam Burtis for enlightening us to this on the old TTF. A little experimenting with tape on a mouthpiece shank will illustrate how right Sam was.
jdetka

Post by jdetka »

I have a related TR156 Holton Question. I'm looking for the circa late 60's early 70's style counterweight.
Has anyone seen one?

Return to “Accessories”