“Bargain” Tenor Trombone Case

Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I thought I needed an occasional-use lightweight case to carry a tenor trombone to and from my car and a rehearsal space. Not to travel long distances, but to provide better protection than a soft “gig bag.” I like ProTec cases, but they’re a little pricier than I had in mind (even the perfectly decent MAX case). Then I encountered this WolfPak case from our friends at Woodwind&Brasswind (seems to be their house brand) for only $45.99 including shipping.

https://www.wwbw.com/WolfPak-Polyfoam-T ... 64527.wwbw

I couldn’t resist, so I ordered one. Delivery was fast. No fancy packaging required - just a box and some air pillows.

Here’s what I learned:
• Appearance:
Nice decent-looking black nylon case.
• Durability:
Appears to be sufficiently robust to accommodate normal use.
• Features:
.....o Lightweight foam construction.
.....o Roomy enough inside, with hinged-lid accessory compartment for mouthpieces, lubricants, spray bottle, toothbrush, …
.....o Exterior zippered pocket, ~23"x8" with interior storage slots for pencils, etc.
Suitable to carry a compact music stand or trombone stand, but too narrow for sheet music.
.....o D-rings with shoulder / backpack straps.
.....o Functional carry handle.
• Accommodations:
.....o For straight tenor trombones only. This case will not accommodate an F-attachment without destructive surgery to the internal padding.
.....o An 8" bell will easily fit in the case - but will rattle around, since there is no bell cushion to hold it in place, nor is there any restriction to keep the tuning slide end of the bell from moving around. Probably best to wrap a towel around the bell section to restrict movement.
.....o The slide fits into a deep pocket in the hinged top half of the case, secured by a stiff Velcro flap. Unfortunately, the pocket is so deep that the slide is not held securely in place. Probably best to put a towel between the flap and the slide to provide a cushion.

Bottom line:
Inexpensive, but a bit disappointing due to the loose fit. I would have no problems carrying a trombone in it for short distances, with little potential for jarring, but it will not be my “go-to” case. Perhaps I should have spent twice the price on a ProTec MAX case?
JLivi

Re: “Bargain” Tenor Trombone Case

Post by JLivi »

What horn are you putting in it? How loose is it? I'm sure the horn will be fine as long as you're careful with it. You might even be able to put a t-shirt or a towel in there for a tighter fit.

It's tough to find a decent case for under $100. Even if you buy used, shipping is going to be $50. it's annoying.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JLivi wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:00 pm What horn are you putting in it?
Conn 6H, Conn 30H, Olds R15 Recording
How loose is it?
Pretty Loose.
I'm sure the horn will be fine as long as you're careful with it. You might even be able to put a t-shirt or a towel in there for a tighter fit.
Yes, the trombone will be OK - especially if the bell section is wrapped with a towel and the slide is cushioned by another towel.

Or I could glue in some extra foam pads in appropriate places to keep the trombone parts from moving. But it would probably look pretty kludgy.

It's tough to find a decent case for under $100. Even if you buy used, shipping is going to be $50. it's annoying.
As a bona fide cheapskate, this is, of course, my issue.

Next time, I would consider (at twice the price - but still free shipping) a ProTec MAX:
https://www.wwbw.com/Protec-Straight-Te ... ne&index=3
... or for an F-attachment:
https://www.wwbw.com/Protec-MAX-Tenor-T ... ne&index=1
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Yeah, the Protec Max cases are alright. I would feel better with a SKB case personally. I'm a cheapskate too and always looking for deals when I can find them.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For a small bore, you need a small bore case. The average "tenor case" is made for large horns and has way too much room.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

I recently got a Gator ABS Deluxe for my Bach 16M. Great case and a great fit for the horn. It was only €65 (new) from Thomann.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I would think you could modify it in a way that would make the horn fit more snugly without looking too corny.
A pic of the inside would help, but from the way you describe it I would do this:
Get some of that white plastic (not styrofoam) foam that is used in shipping boxes. (I always see plenty while walking the dogs on recycling/garbage night.) It's free 😊 and easy to cut to size.
Go to a fabric store (JoAnn's, a chain, always has a good selection of remnants) and get some matching fabric, and cover your cut-to-size foam pieces using spray adhesive.
You can attach it with double-sided rug tape, which is less messy than glue, and you MAY be able to remove it without damaging the fabric in the case.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mamaposaune wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:27 pm I would think you could modify it in a way that would make the horn fit more snugly without looking too corny.
A pic of the inside would help, but from the way you describe it I would do this:
Get some of that white plastic (not styrofoam) foam that is used in shipping boxes. (I always see plenty while walking the dogs on recycling/garbage night.) It's free 😊 and easy to cut to size.
Go to a fabric store (JoAnn's, a chain, always has a good selection of remnants) and get some matching fabric, and cover your cut-to-size foam pieces using spray adhesive.
You can attach it with double-sided rug tape, which is less messy than glue, and you MAY be able to remove it without damaging the fabric in the case.
Yes, I'm a pretty good DIYer. BUT, by the time I've done all this adapting [$ cost of foam, fabric, adhesive, tape, ... + driving to stores + my (somewhat valuable) time] I might've well have purchased the better-quality ProTec MAX which will actually securely fit a trombone for the extra $50 (including shipping), look nice, be resellable, and NO effort!
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Yeah, I get that. Just thought since you already purchased the Wolfpack.....
BTW, I purchased a Wolfpack for an f-attachment trombone that I'm trying to sell, and it fits really well. There is foam in place to keep the bell from shifting, and the slide rides in a slot at the bottom of the case. It was more $ than yours, though. (double?)
Last edited by Mamaposaune on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Thanks for the heads up. I've had a WP case before and liked it. Needed another case to hold a horn, like having space in the case too.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

This is not a source of pride but I bought and use a $25 gig bag from eBay. There is no inner slide sleeve or padding but the bell section is padded. It's strictly for storing horns at home that I'm taking a break from, or at most, taking in for service and back. Not for gigs and rehearsals since that would be around other people and things, where the risk of damage is highest, experience has shown.
I like it for packing up my idle silver plated horns, keeping the dust off and slowing down the tarnish.
Last edited by Macbone1 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I picked up a beyond repair Chinese tenor in a case for $25. I made the bone into a floor lamp and use the case for the Getzen 400 I bought without a case. The case is not the best quality, but does fine for what I need it for: protect the horn while in storage, and carry it to the occasional gigs I use it for.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Accessories”