Bonna hybrid vs. Bonna Bass vs. Superfine

BigBadandBass

Bonna hybrid vs. Bonna Bass vs. Superfine

Post by BigBadandBass »

Hey All! Just graduated my undergrad and on my way to my grad school here and I was thinking of buying a new case as a gift to myself. As of now, here are the three options I've come down too, The bonna soft/hybrid with the half fabric half fiberglass/carbon fiber shell (not the baby one, the one with the external slide compartment). the good ol bonna bass and a superfine traveler bass case. Yes I know one is a gig bag, the other is hard and the final is half-soft, personally I have no allegiance to one or the other but am looking for a protective case that I can carry almost carry on a plane and stands up to the rigors of NY public transit while not being too obtrusive to others.

I have been leaning towards the bonna hybrid but don't know many people who actually has one, anyone have any thoughts? for anyone curious the horn is a B&S MS27, and no, I am planning on cutting the bell just yet, so those cases are out of the cards.

Thanks!
tombone21

Re: Bonna hybrid vs. Bonna Bass vs. Superfine

Post by tombone21 »

Any of those cases would be great, just don't be that person that doesn't take their case off their back once they get on the train and take up the space of 2 people/3 if they aren't that adept at riding the subway and are skating around. People on the train will not hesitate to tell you what's up.

I use a Reunion Blues bag that has always managed to stay out of people's way, but when I'm holding it next to me, there are no pegs on the bottom so whatever is on the floor of the train is coming with me when I leave. You *could* rest it on your foot constantly, but I really can't be bothered. Still. Food for thought.

That MB bass case is absurdly small, smaller than most tenor cases.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If it's overall use, the MB bass case.

I personally use a Superfine Touring bag for everyday use and an MB screwbell case for traveling, but I have cut bells and it's possible for me. Before that, I used an MB bass case full time for a few years.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I've seen the Bonna hybrid case for tenor and was extremely impressed. It's rigid where you need it to be and soft where it can be. I might buy one at some point. That said, I use the standard Bonna bass case and have never had a problem traveling with it. The hybrid is just 1 and 1/2 pounds lighter, and you lose the side pocket.

I cannot recommend a gig bag as your only case, no matter how beautiful or well made.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

GabrielRice wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 am I've seen the Bonna hybrid case for tenor and was extremely impressed. It's rigid where you need it to be and soft where it can be. I might buy one at some point. That said, I use the standard Bonna bass case and have never had a problem traveling with it. The hybrid is just 1 and 1/2 pounds lighter, and you lose the side pocket.

I cannot recommend a gig bag as your only case, no matter how beautiful or well made.
The Bonna soft case for bass is even better than the tenor one! Same exact foot print as the standard bass case. I highly recommend it.

For OP Superfine Cases are the best gig bags out there. Tom has made some fantastic improvements to the original designs and I couldn't be happier with the cases I've received from them. For example Tom has slimmed down both the large tenor and bass case designs from the original super bluky designs.

All of my future case purchases will be Superfine cases!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Accessories”