Garden Practice Room/Office (UK)

harpo

Garden Practice Room/Office (UK)

Post by harpo »

Like many people I have found myself working from home rather than face a morning commute. As this is set to continue for the foreseeable future (and in fact I always did WFH one day a week anyway) I'm seriously considering getting a garden office. It would be of obvious benefit if it had some form of soundproofing so that I could practice in there without disturbing people, although that is always going to be a secondary function to the office.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on this? I'm in the UK, so UK available products are more relevant to my particular situation.

I've like this (which has no specific sound insulation):
https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/titania-gard ... 3m-x-d2-7m

These guys (whose brochure has specific options with attached dB reduction for each) look good too:
https://www.extrarooms.co.uk/sound-proofed-rooms/

As it is my office, I will have door and window, and that will provide a limit to the soundproofing.

I saw a demo of Rockwool a few years back, which was very impressive as a sound insulator.

I'm sure others must have been here before?! Any advice or top tips?!

Thanks
DougHulme

Re: Garden Practice Room/Office (UK)

Post by DougHulme »

So... the first studio I built in the garden was basically a common garden shed but I went to town on lining it which was a combination of heat and sound proofing. First layer was a waterproof very thin fom sheet then a layer of tin foil then 50mm thick sheet of polystyrene followed by a sheet of those green tiles you get as underlay for laminate flooring. That completely filled the width of the timber frame. I then lined the whole of the inside with tongue and groove solid pine. The door was wood and I had one double glazed window. The sound proofing was brilliant and I was as warm as toast in the winter but it was a lot of effort... I then moved house and couldnt take the studio with me! (it was a big 'shed'). I couldnt face all that effort again at the new house and I had a much bigger garden so we bought a log cabin from these people...

https://www.abbeygardenbuildings.co.uk/ ... e-offices/

The 44mm thick planks they use to make it with are perfect insulation no need for anything else at all. Using their double glazing option ensures you lose hardly any heat or sound from within - job done. It was simple, easy and totally effective. Thick wood is better than fancy insulation measures. The people are just down the road from me if you should decide to visit their show room (I reckon about an 80minute drive to Oxford) you could pop in and see mine. Although they have a factory making garden sheds they dont make their log cabins themselves they buy them from a company (I think) in Sheffield. They do however erect them for you on your own base. I recommend them but not sure about their pricing anymore and I think they gave me a discount for being a neighbour too?

Hope that helps.

Kindest... Doug
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I've a friend with a recording studio built in the garden, near Reading. I'm pretty sure it was purpose built and designed that way. It's timber construction, do looks like a large shed/garden office.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Very nice little soundproof buildings.
Don't forget about ventilation. Unless you plan to open a door or window periodically, you'll want a small fan bringing in fresh air and exhausting the stale air. That requires openings in the soundproofing...... openings for sound to escape. One solution is to build an air chamber similar to an oversized car muffler; a long box with Rockwool baffles in it. That will allow air to flow while absorbing the sound vibrations.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I dont know why I didnt think of the Norwegian Log Company before now. They are currently building my son and daughter in laws log cabin to live in and a Thoroughly good job they are making of it. Much higher standard than our neighbours I have already mentioned but equally much more expensive. Seeing Steven K comes from Reading jogged my mind. The Norwegian Log Company have their factory and show rooms in Reading (Early).

https://www.norwegianlog.co.uk/?utm_med ... source=gmb

Kindest - Doug
harpo

Post by harpo »

Thanks all. Much to investigate. I'll update the thread when I've moved things on a little!

I hadn't thought of log cabins before, so thanks Doug! The price difference between Norwegian and Abbey is huge - and seems to be more than just a quality difference!!
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I'm in Earley actually and know the location of the Norwegan log cabin office, it's close to Reading. I'd check if they have any structures erected before visiting though, as I'm not aware there is space there.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

They have some in the back garden of their offices and a big one at their factory unit. There is a big difference in price though as Harpo says but the structure is more substantial however we have found The Abbey building more than adeqoute.

Return to “Accessories”