Wallace practice mute doesn't fit

MagnumH

Wallace practice mute doesn't fit

Post by MagnumH »

I have the Wallace practice mute, and as practice mutes go I love it. However, I got a new horn recently, and it no longer fits.
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 14.35.45.png
The bell flare must be a different shape from my old 2B, and as such the mute now goes in too far - tuning is thrown, and the rubber ring doesn't even hit the sides so it falls right back out again.

Any ideas as to how to fix it with some easy DIY? Or is best bet to trade it for a Sshh/best brass/etc.?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
FOSSIL

Re: Wallace practice mute doesn't fit

Post by FOSSIL »

You don't say what the new trombone is....if it's a large tenor you will need a bigger mute. Iain, the maker at Wallace is always happy to offer advice.

Chris
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm You don't say what the new trombone is....if it's a large tenor you will need a bigger mute. Iain, the maker at Wallace is always happy to offer advice.

Chris
Excellent point. I went from a 2B to the BAC Paseo W6, so still a small bore horn. Bell size increased from 7⅜” to 8”, but I wouldn’t have expected that to make that huge a difference, so I reckon it’s the taper.

I’ll try getting in touch with Iain if I can find contact info - as a fellow Scot I like to keep it close to my homeland where possible!
Matt Hawke
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Thats the problem. You went from a real horn to a big and crappy horn.

That aside. You can probably recork it to fit the bell. I have an older wallace (the blue one) and it fits all of my Conns big and small, bass and tenor.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Thrawn22 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:58 pm Thats the problem. You went from a real horn to a big and crappy horn.
Was that really necessary? Calm down pal, take your insults with you. Your negativity is not particularly appreciated.

FWIW, I played every sub .525 horn at ATW this year, and spent a long time choosing. I’m a professional player. I liked this one best. Because of the sound and feel of it.
Matt Hawke
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Thrawn22 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:58 pm Thats the problem. You went from a real horn to a big and crappy horn.

That aside. You can probably recork it to fit the bell. I have an older wallace (the blue one) and it fits all of my Conns big and small, bass and tenor.
This kind of sarcasm doesn't translate well over the net.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Accessories”