Practice mute for JP Rath 236

slipperyjoe

Practice mute for JP Rath 236

Post by slipperyjoe »

I'm thinking about acquiring a JP Rath 236 and looking for practice mute recommendations. I have owned this horn before and used a Bremner Shhhh for tenor, which sounded o.k. but was difficult to keep in place and made the horn a little front heavy.

I'm wondering about Shhhh for flugelhorn, Best Brass warmup for tenor and the Wick for alto/flugelhorn.

Any feedback from someone with direct experience with a particular mute would be appreciated.

I also have my eye on a used Bach 39, so specific recommendations would also be helpful in case I take that route. I know from trumpet playing that different horns respond differently to specific mutes.

I will be playing alto exclusively. I should have kept the first 236...

Thanks!

Joe
Matt K
Verified

Re: Practice mute for JP Rath 236

Post by Matt K »

I've played my flugelhorn silent brass in a number of alto trombones and they've all worked, including several variations on the Jin Bao bell which I believe the 236 would be very similar to if not from the same mandrel.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

Matt K wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:23 pm I've played my flugelhorn silent brass in a number of alto trombones and they've all worked, including several variations on the Jin Bao bell which I believe the 236 would be very similar to if not from the same mandrel.
That's very helpful, Matt. Thanks!
jrod93

Post by jrod93 »

Denis Wick makes one for Alto/Flugel

https://www.deniswick.com/product/pract ... lugelhorn/
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

jrod93 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:35 pm Denis Wick makes one for Alto/Flugel

https://www.deniswick.com/product/pract ... lugelhorn/
Thanks!