Anyone Use My Mutebags?

Johnstad

Anyone Use My Mutebags?

Post by Johnstad »

https://www.mymutebag.com/collections/f ... s-trombone

Seems a bit small for straight, cup, plunger, Harmon and bucket.
harrisonreed

Re: Anyone Use My Mutebags?

Post by harrisonreed »

No, bucket boss gatemouth all the way. Mutebag from hell holds everything! That one you linked looks like it can only hold two.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/8 ... l-bag.html

That holds all!
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

If you’re interested, I have a spare Humes & Berg Tuxedo mute bag that is brand new and unused that I’d sell for $35 shipped, or we can talk trade of some kind.

Feel free to hit the email address in my profile, if you’re interested.
TromboneConcerto

Post by TromboneConcerto »

I have a protec bass bone mutebag and it's great. Holds everything I want and more. I've travelled out of that bag.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

i've carried up to 10 mutes at a time on tour with these bags - just add a towel if you're worried about dents

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sports-Gym-Sho ... 2749.l2649
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
TuckerWoerner

Post by TuckerWoerner »

My Mute Bag is good. I really like mine. For tenor I can fit a cup (Jo Ral with the cup pulled off and in the bag sideways), straight (different Jo Ral), bucket (Eazy Bucket), and plunger in it. For bass it'll hold less obviously. It is not the biggest bag on the market, but to me it's basically a nice laptop bag that holds mutes and has decent storage for cables, pencils, lubricants, etc.

I really like this bag, but if I had to take a ton of mutes for a pit or something I would probably take something bigger. For most gigs you don't need more than a straight, cup, and plunger, so for me this is fantastic.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I use a ProTec and a Tom Crown straight and cup take up most of the space. Seems WilliamLang has the prize for having the most cost effective and useful mute bag! I was thinking of recruiting a spare backpack.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
thatme

Post by thatme »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:58 pm No, bucket boss gatemouth all the way. Mutebag from hell holds everything! That one you linked looks like it can only hold two.

That holds all!
Will this hold a stand, music stand, and those big black folders?
Rath R9 Bass
B&S GR-51 BBb Tuba
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

thatme wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:58 pm No, bucket boss gatemouth all the way. Mutebag from hell holds everything! That one you linked looks like it can only hold two.

That holds all!
Will this hold a stand, music stand, and those big black folders?
Yes! I can fit two trombone stands, music folders, and three or four mutes (including a Harmon). Obviously, this won't fit one of those heavy duty, non collapsible music stands. The Jo-Ral straight mutes only just fit with the bottom flush to the floor of the bag (the floor is rigid, and the gate mouth is also reinforced, so I put that one in sideways sometimes. Then it fits no problem. It does fit vertically though, as well. I use towels to keep the mutes from banging into each other.

Without stands and folders, this could hold ten mutes.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Meh. Measure your stuff and head to a thrift store. On a lucky day you find the size you need with a rollie handle on it.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

What baileyman said. I have two gig bags that are just duffle bags from thrift stores, one for bass and one for tenor. Each has a quiver of mutes, lightweight folding music stand, trombone stand, lubes, tuner/metronome, battery powered stand lights and spare batteries, clothespins for windy days, pencils and highlighters, mini-screwdriver, earplugs (for when I am sitting by the percussionists), small towel. This way I don't forget something. Both have shoulder straps. If I am carrying a Manhasset or larger folding stand, I just put it on top of the bag and hold it down with the hand straps. When I need to transport my bass and bag a long way, I have an old folding golf bag cart I picked up at a garage sale.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

This thread got me thinkin' - I'm tired of remembering, gathering, and schlepping my stand bag, horn stand, mute tote, ... what if all in one? What if I could just grab-and-go?

So I got this ToughBuilt 30" Massive Mouth Tool Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A4VQT68/

It is similar to the BucketBoss bag linked above, just more. It fits my Peak SMS-30 music stand, bone stand, several mutes, small hand percussion, big stand light, ... it's as big as my trombone gig bag. I put a pic on my Instagram full of trombone stuff:

It's not cheap at $60 but my tote was damaging mutes so needed something more solid. I will stick the tote in there so that the enormous transport can stay offstage, with the required on-stage items in the pretty tote my mommy made.

Cons: I wish it had skate wheels. The interior pockets are too small, they are intended for pliers and screw drivers.

Pros: I'm organized going forward. The stand light will always be right there, with the stand. Nothing is smashing anything else.

:cool:
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

mwpfoot wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:16 am ToughBuilt 30" Massive Mouth Tool Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A4VQT68/

It is similar to the BucketBoss bag linked above, just more. It fits my Peak SMS-30 music stand, bone stand, several mutes, small hand percussion, big stand light, ... it's as big as my trombone gig bag. I put a pic on my Instagram full of trombone stuff:
Looks not only huge and heavy, but also like a sure recipe for damaging mutes due to collisions with each other and especially with the stands. :idk:

My solution for mutes and accessories:
A (relatively) inexpensive duffel bag and smaller cloth bags to hold the mutes and stand light.
[I keep the straight mute in a Crown Royal 1.75 Liter soft cloth bag, and my sewing machine-handy wife made a cup mute bag in a matter of minutes by folding an inexpensive terrycloth towel in half, and sewing up 3 sides. The stand light has its own bag.]
All the accessories (tuner, lubricants, tape, toothbrush, etc., etc.) go into the duffel bag's side and end pockets.
My trombone stand and a dish-drying mat to absorb water valve effluent are carried in a separate inexpensive but sturdy nylon canvas tripod bag with its own shoulder strap.
So I do have two separate bags, but they are pretty easy to carry.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:18 pmLooks not only huge and heavy, but also like a sure recipe for damaging mutes due to collisions with each other and especially with the stands. :idk:
It is huge and heavy but I usually have to walk about 50 yards. I'll manage.

Stands on the bottom, mutes on the top. Nothing is crushing anything. It's not getting tossed under a plane.

Posaunus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:18 pm My solution for mutes and accessories:
A (relatively) inexpensive duffel bag and smaller cloth bags to hold the mutes and stand light.
Looks like a sure recipe for damaging mutes due to collisions between duffel and ... everything. :pant:

For example, my Soulo bucket got cracked beyond repair in a soft side bag.

:idk:
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

For my tenors, have had the same Alessi Vacchiano aluminum straight and Humes and Berg Stonelined cup mute since high school (I graduated in 1975) carried in a generic duffle bag with Hamilton tbone stand, folding music stand, cordless stand light, etc. in the main compartment. No problems so far! The only mute I baby is my H&B bucket due to the fabric.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Accessories”