Case Design Query

MichaelMedrick

Case Design Query

Post by MichaelMedrick »

Hello, Trombone Chat Folk!

My Pro-Tec slim fit case just let the F lever crease a slide tube. I am not happy.
I have a cloth-covered Bach case in which the slide is NOT stored in the lid ALA' ProTec, Eastman and other cases. The Bach is however, for me, more of a storage case than one I would want to lug around.
Are there any side by side configurations out there that do not weigh a ton? Yes, I looked quite a bit, but every maker is not generous with pics. I felt it was safe to assume some of you know of a such things.

Thanks!
Burgerbob

Re: Case Design Query

Post by Burgerbob »

Marcus Bonna super light.

https://www.hornguys.com/products/marcu ... uper-light

Also, most cases that are not the cheapest of the cheap will be fine.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Which Pro-Tec model is that? The only slim type case they currently make is for straight trombones only.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

The only two cases Protec makes that store the slide in the lid are the Max and ProPac. I have no experience with the latter, which is much heavier than the Max due to its shell design. Both are more slender than the iPac, which holds the slide next to the bell section.

If it's the Max (and in particular the most current design) i can see how an errant trigger can make contact with the slide. There are two possible causes: slide containment and bell hold. I don't like how loose the slide can be; there needs to be more Velcro on the hold downs. Or, perhaps there could be some sort of cover. Either way, the bell side is held too high. I'd appreciate it if Protec went back to their original design for the Max tenor case, more similar to the bass case, with a deeper hold for the bell section

But I make do since the trigger on the Holton doesn't protrude far to begin with.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 pm Marcus Bonna super light.

https://www.hornguys.com/products/marcu ... uper-light

Also, most cases that are not the cheapest of the cheap will be fine.
I've had a Bonna super light for 5 years. It's lasted through travel, heavy school use, and taken all abuse while looking almost as new as it did the day I bought it. In an equivalent timespan, I went through two of the top-tier Protec cases. The Bonnas are expensive up front, but represent the cheapest option in the long run.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
MichaelMedrick

Post by MichaelMedrick »

Thanks folks. I know of the Bona cases, but wow $$$!
I have an old ProPac purchases early in the century at a Nashville ITF.It is not the cases fault. I did the deed trying to put an early Corp 42B in the case. The ones with the old trigger design. I had to stop and think a minute about why the damage just showed up.
That said, I impulsively order another ProPac that resembles the SoundDesign cases. I do not know if it is a new case, old model or what. I do not keep up with trends. I have been fine with a bass and a tenor ProPac and a couple of vintage RB old school gig bags in cordura and a recently acquired leather one.

Return to “Accessories”