slide lubricant

beatking

slide lubricant

Post by beatking »

Can you offer the best slide lubricant you ever used and why? Thank you in advance :bassclef:

Steve
BGuttman

Re: slide lubricant

Post by BGuttman »

You will find a lot of opinions here. All different and all correct.

Different slides work better with different lubes. Some of us keep several different lubes for different trombones.

One thing a lube can't correct is a slide with alignment issues or dent issues. Also, they don't clean the stuff on the inside of the outer slide that can affect how it moves. So there is no shortcut around proper slide maintenance.

I don't know if it's still online,but I wrote an article for our Trombone Wiki on different lubes. You might want to take a look at it if you can. I don't plan to post it on this thread.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Not to hijack the thread but may I ask which line is best on tight (new) slides? Yamaha, S-o-M, Conn cream, Trombotine?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Yamaha has the rep for tight slides, with SoM a close second.

Older, loose slides seem to work best with creams.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Grah

Post by Grah »

I have four trombones of different makes and age. I have found over many years of playing, and using different lubricants, that the most successful slide lubricant for all my trombones is SLIDE-O-MIX RAPID COMFORT. This is made in Germany.

However, the other important factor in ensuring your slide operates smoothly, is the maintenance of your trombone. For a start the engineering and clearances of the inner and outer slides must be absolutely perfect. All of my horns have been serviced over the years by an absolutely superb workshop of craftsmen who do general servicing and setups, as well as ultra sonic cleaning, lacquering, nickel plating, dent removal and plating (Better Sounds Australia actually).

Also you have to ensure that your own maintenance and cleaning is first class. For the cleaning side, I use dishwashing liquid and cleaning brushes in the bath. Thorough rinsing for removal of old oils and the new cleaning substances is essential. I do this thorough clean about once a month. And in between this monthly clean, I thoroughly clean and re-oil the slides before each playing session.

The method of applying Slide-O-Mix Rapid Comfort is also important. I never try to apply the Lubricant whilst the trombone is assembled. First I run a cleaning rag on a rod through the inner slide to make sure the air passage is perfect and I get the right resonance. I then clean the outer inner slide with a dry paper tissue. Then I run a single thin bead line of Rapid Comfort along the length of each slide. I then use the outer slide to ensure this bead is evenly distributed around the inner and outer slides. I do this one side at a time, twisting the outer slide through almost 360 degrees and then move it in and out. Do this until you can see and feel for sure the lubricant is evenly applied.

Other trombonists who try my slide to compare it with their own, are always amazed at the performance of my slide.

I then assemble the trombone and test the slide action to make sure everything is perfect
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I use SOM and Yamaha snot as well, and add that good slide cleanliness is even more important when using products that include silicone, because It can dry out and cause a scratchy slide. I also put a couple of ball bearings in the bottle to make sure that it stays correctly mixed. I do like a good slide..
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

IMHO, the only way to find what really works for you is to try them all. It's important to remember that how you apply the lubricant can get just as important as what lubricant you choose. Having a clean slide to begin with is also key, as otherwise you can have all kinds of things gumming up the works.

I also have found that some slides just work better with different lubricants. I have no idea why. "older" slides seem to like creams like Trombotine and Super Slick better. I also find that Nickel Silver outer slides like creams. Brass outerslides like Yamaha "Slide Oil"/ Yama-snot, Slide O Mix, and other similar formulations.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
sporto

Post by sporto »

Yamaha slide lube and spray water with a pea size amount of KY jelly dissolved in 3 oz. of water.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use yamasnot on everything with no water. Works outside and in, old horns and new.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I use both the Yamaha lubricant and Trombotine. For me, certain slides that I have prefer one over the other.
Drew A.
Professional bum.

Return to “Accessories”