Conn 88H Leadpipes

dmatlock421

Conn 88H Leadpipes

Post by dmatlock421 »

I just purchased a Conn SL2547 slide for my '65 Conn 88H. The slide comes with three leadpipes, H, T, and X. Clearly the X leadpipe is for large shank mouthpieces, but can someone explain the differences, suggested uses, etc. of the H and T leadpipes?

Thanks.
hyperbolica

Re: Conn 88H Leadpipes

Post by hyperbolica »

Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Any thoughts on pulling the leadpipe of a new 88H slide so that you can use different leadpipes?
dmatlock421

Post by dmatlock421 »

Thanks, hyperbolica. I encountered that page yesterday while trying to understand the leadpipe differences. It also appears that I can buy an R leadpipe and use my large-shank Remington mouthpiece. While that's certainly an option, it's not really where I'd like to start. First, I'd like to understand what I have, how it's supposed to work, and how it actually works for me.

Long venturi? Short venturi? I know what a venturi is, but I have no idea how venturi length affects mouthpiece performance. Somehow, that topic was omitted in both my physics classes and my trombone lessons.

More stability? More flexibility? In what context? Flexibility as in Charles Colin Flexibility Studies flexibility? Does flexibility somehow trump stability or vice versa? Can't I have stability AND flexibility with this slide -- a medium-length venturi, maybe? :idk:

Thanks again for your reply. Your responses always seem right on the mark.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

You can only get vague directions from descriptions. You have to play the parts to really know if you'll like it.

If you do a lot of lip slurs and solos, chamber music you'll like flexibility. If you do more orchestral stuff, you may like the stability more.

I personally use the T in my sl2525. To me it matches the light and lively nature of the 88h.

Best of luck.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:12 pm Any thoughts on pulling the leadpipe of a new 88H slide so that you can use different leadpipes?
A new slide? Should come right out easily.

An older one can be more difficult. This is one that I had pulled.

https://goo.gl/photos/UJvHT6e1PdY8kLgU6
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

greenbean wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:10 pm
Bach5G wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:12 pm Any thoughts on pulling the leadpipe of a new 88H slide so that you can use different leadpipes?
A new slide? Should come right out easily.

An older one can be more difficult. This is one that I had pulled.

https://goo.gl/photos/UJvHT6e1PdY8kLgU6
Ahh, looks like your 88H needs new shock absorbers. That's not going to be cheap, especially factoring in the blinker fluid replacement.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
dmatlock421

Post by dmatlock421 »

hyperbolica wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:04 pm You can only get vague directions from descriptions. You have to play the parts to really know if you'll like it.

If you do a lot of lip slurs and solos, chamber music you'll like flexibility. If you do more orchestral stuff, you may like the stability more.

I personally use the T in my sl2525. To me it matches the light and lively nature of the 88h.

Best of luck.
Yeah, I get it, really I do. It all comes down to what works for you (or in this case, for me).

As soon as I realized that the large (X) leadpipe had a Morse rather than a Brown and Sharpe taper and would not work with my normal Remington mouthpiece, I picked up the H leadpipe and started playing with it using a small-shank Remington. Since yesterday, I've switched back and forth between the H and the T leadpipes several times, and to my senses, the H leadpipe gives me a little broader, rounder sound. I don't particularly relate that broader sound to more stability just as I don't relate the thinner sound of the T leadpipe with more flexibility. I have about the same flexibility with both leadpipes, but then, I spend an inordinate amount of time working on flexibility. I always have.

I've encountered two significant annoyances:
1) Muscle memory will require a bit of adjustment. I'm bobbling notes that I never have problems with, particularly upper register notes using alternate positions. That will almost certainly resolve itself over the next couple of days as I re-find and re-slot those notes.

2) I've lost some range, about a fifth off of the top. I'm guessing that that's more a result of the peashooter Remington mouthpiece than the leadpipe. I'm also working harder to play easily in the upper register. I'm hoping both of those also resolve themselves over the next couple of days. We'll see!

Return to “Accessories”