Practice Mutes

jazztonight

Practice Mutes

Post by jazztonight »

As a seasoned musician and composer, but a newbie trombonist (my first brass instrument), who lives in an apartment, practicing and concerns about my neighbors were on my mind a lot. As a result, I have now tried 3 different practice mutes:

1. Humes & Berg (it weighs a ton, and my arms got weary holding it up);
2. Protec (it is very lightweight, less expensive, and does a good job, but the intonation was not true and I could see a big difference in note response from the lower to the middle and upper registers);
and finally...
3. The Bremner "Sshhmute."

The Bremner is a little heavier (and more pricey) than the Protec, but I can tell that it's much easier for me to stay in tune or recognize when I'm not in tune.

By this time--after several months of learning to play--I'm more aware of what's going on with the instrument, and while any practice mute certainly causes some back pressure and the intonation is affected, this mute works well for me. After my wife and our house guest went to bed at 10 pm last night, I was able to practice for an hour in the next room and didn't disturb anyone. As a result, and from my limited experience, I'd recommend the Bremner.

I'm making steady progress on the trombone and my playing without the mute has improved noticeably.

Also, I appreciate what I've learned from reading the many comments on trombonechat. Thanks to everyone!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
BillO

Re: Practice Mutes

Post by BillO »

Thanks for posting this. Welcome to the guild of the slide.

In any case, I think I will try out the Bremmer. I have a band mate that has one. I usually use my Yamaha Silent Brass but it does leak a bit more sound than the Bremmer.

Most practice mutes affect your intonation but I think they help you center it as the effect is mainly to reduce the 'slotting' of your instrument.

Have you tried the Yamaha?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Both D Wick and J Reynolds recommended spending a few minutes of each practice session with a practice mute inserted in the horn. YMMV.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

I've owned the Bremner, Wallace, Protec, Best Brass, and the Yamaha - I think the Bremner is the best. I find I overblow in every practice mute, but pitch and slotting feel best while using the Bremner.

Another great alternative is a harmon mute with a towel covering the stem. Although it's heavy, it's fairly quiet, and one doesn't have to overblow as much as real practice mutes. I attach the towel with a rubber band.
jazztonight

Post by jazztonight »

BillO wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:06 pm Thanks for posting this. Welcome to the guild of the slide.
Thanks. Great to be here!
In any case, I think I will try out the Bremner. I have a band mate that has one. I usually use my Yamaha Silent Brass but it does leak a bit more sound than the Bremner.

Most practice mutes affect your intonation but I think they help you center it as the effect is mainly to reduce the 'slotting' of your instrument.
I'm not sure what's helping me, since I'm trying to do everything I can to learn how to play. Probably the hour a day on the horn is helping the most.
Have you tried the Yamaha?
No, just the ones I mentioned. One thing that I appreciate is the community of trombonists. Pretty much everyone I meet who plays has been encouraging and helpful. Gracias!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
salsabone

Post by salsabone »

Another one to try/consider...I purchased a Yupon little silencer practice mute from Irv at Slidebone.com at the ITF this July. They are professional mute from the company of the same name in Japan. It works well and it is very light. Just another thought on the subject.

Salsabone

Kevin
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

My experience and observations with a good practice mute (I own and like the newer Yamaha Silent Brass and the Bremner Shhhh).

If I am using a mouthpiece that really 'works' with me and really suits me and the horn, then I can use a practice mute without harm.

I won't overdo it, and won't practice for hours on end. Maybe just a half hour or so on the practice mute when needed.

I can use the Yamaha Silent Brass with good headphones and feel fine about my playing if I am really happy with a particular mouthpiece on a particular horn.

Also....the Softone Neoprene is nice for a soft, mid-range warm-up when I am using a mouthpiece that really suits me.

Summing up...if your mouthpiece isn't helping your playing, then a practice mute will not help 'for lost playing time'.

Find the right mouthpiece, and then things should be pretty 'harm-free'.

My 'two cents' for what it's worth.....I'm still learning about these things too!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

You guys should try my "dog bowl" mute, as a buddy described it. Light. Perfect intonation for every pedal or altissimo. If you come near Boston, let me know.
LowrBrass

Post by LowrBrass »

I am way late to the party, but-- just a small consideration for anyone else researching before buying their next practice mute, which is why I'm searching the archives--

I bought a bass trombone Bremner a couple years ago based on positive reviews around the forum. The sound is fine, but it's too heavy for me (I already have shoulder issues with the weight of the bass alone) and it falls out of the horn every few minutes. I've tried roughening the smooth cork, tried water spritzes... Maybe I'm just not doing it correctly, maybe there's something else I haven't tried, maybe I really need to file the cork down to smithereens, I dunno. It must work fine for some players, or they'd have redesigned the mute years ago. Suggestions welcome.
jwhiteritc

Post by jwhiteritc »

Bought a Bremner bass bone Shhh mute a couple of months ago. Musically it's fine. Mechanically it's a disappointment. Totally agree with LowrBrass. The mute is heavy and repeatedly falls on the floor. The noise negates the benefit of quiet practice. My bell is 9 1/2, hardly unusual for a bass bone. I've used a finish sander to grind down the cork and it helps a little. Still falls out so may need to do some more grinding.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I would expect the Bremner would alter tuning by lengthening the horn a few inches due to the cork seal just as happens with a Solotone. Maybe it's not so bad.

It's hard to make a light weight mute when you reproduce part of the horn as the mute. I mean, the stem of the Bremner is just a section of bell. Having one bell inside another seems redundant. They should find a better solution.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

They do drop out with monotomous regularity thats true - but when they are in they do work rather well. Maybe its being invented in the southern hemisphere like the water going in the opposite direction down the plug hole!!!!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I think almost ANY of the aforementioned practice mutes will work just fine. Just remember, because the mute is quiet, you don't have to blow like a maniac. When using a warmup mute you should be playing with a normal, MF volume FEELING...and stop worrying about how loud it is or isn't coming out of the horn. The mute will manage that part - just play for the proper physical feeling (forget sound) and it will serve you just fine.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Accessories”