Dennis wick synthetic mute

8parktoollover

Dennis wick synthetic mute

Post by 8parktoollover »

Does anyone know if the dennis wick synthetic mute is any good?
CalgaryTbone

Re: Dennis wick synthetic mute

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I'm assuming that you mean the fibre mute (black cardboard-like material?). I picked one up from a Sam Ash store when I was visiting my Mom, and forgot my practice mute for playing in the seniors condo where she lives. It plays well - a softer sound and volume than a metal mute. Good for some passages where you want less "edge" while muted. Good pitch too. Not the best choice for everyday playing - a bit of sizzle can be a good quality in a mute. It was reduced to a very low price, and was pretty soft for apartment playing - not quite a true practice mute dynamic, but the next best thing.

Jim Scott
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Is it good to use as a primary straight mute? I'm a bit skeptical because it only costs 13 dollors.
Kevbach33

Re: Denis wick synthetic mute

Post by Kevbach33 »

I'm a little curious about this mute as well. It is a Denis Wick product, so it has to at least be decent, right?

My concern is how it will fit in a not-large tenor. I've seen one but can't remember how big it is other than "larger than the H&B 151." Would this fit a Conn 6H ok? My interest is piqued, and I'd be using it in a jazz band, but my section mates all use metal straights...
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Not sure about the fit in a small horn. It won't match well with metal mutes - it is both softer in volume and in tone quality. Symphony players like mutes like this for very soft passages. They are also lightweight, so they can be a good choice if you've been experiencing some strain in your left hand/arm, or you need to carry a bunch of gear.

Return to “Accessories”