Alto Trombone Hard Case

paulyg

Alto Trombone Hard Case

Post by paulyg »

I'm looking for a nice hard case for my alto. The case it's in right now is better than newspaper and bungee cords, but not by much... I'm looking for a case offering decent protection, and won't become a mosh pit for the slide/bell/mouthpiece.

I'm aware of the following hard cases out there for altos:

-Conn wood-shell (for 34H and 36H)
-Basili/Shires

... aaaaand that's about it. While Bonna makes a double tenor/alto monstrosity, I didn't see a single alto case.

Anyone got a good option for this? Trying to get everything on the table before going the gig bag route.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Specialk3700

Re: Alto Trombone Hard Case

Post by Specialk3700 »

You could probably Jerry rig a tenor case if you add extra padding to keep it from flying around in it.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I should go buy a Chinese rip off horn for $150, throw the horn away and use the case - they are often quite good cases!!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Rath sells one. The Rath alto is quite petite, though. I'm not sure it'd fit other marques.
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

John Packer has two nice ones. One is very cheap and ugly, the other looks like a small Marcus Bonna(JP Pro). Here's a link to the Pro: https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp859 ... mbone-case
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Oh I have the JP JPro case for my baritone and it's REALLY nice. It's a pretty literal feature-by-feature copy of the Marcus Bonna euphonium case, but scaled down to baritone size, which Bonna doesn't do. It's held up really well (I've had it 5 or six years, used it on many international flights, outdoor gigs, etc.) and it still looks brand new. I actually think the backpack straps and covering fabric is nicer than the real bonna ones. The alto case looks great!
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

bbocaner wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm Oh I have the JP JPro case for my baritone and it's REALLY nice. It's a pretty literal feature-by-feature copy of the Marcus Bonna euphonium case, but scaled down to baritone size, which Bonna doesn't do. It's held up really well (I've had it 5 or six years, used it on many international flights, outdoor gigs, etc.) and it still looks brand new. I actually think the backpack straps and covering fabric is nicer than the real bonna ones. The alto case looks great!
My tenor lives in one as well. It does not show many signs of use even though it's been used almost daily for 3 years!
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

NordicTrombone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:38 pm John Packer has two nice ones. One is very cheap and ugly, the other looks like a small Marcus Bonna(JP Pro). Here's a link to the Pro: https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp859 ... mbone-case
Those JP Pro cases look actually pretty good, and the price seems absolutely right too! Thinking about buying the tenor version for one of my homeless bones...
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Arvopart17

Post by Arvopart17 »

Old thread, I know, but I just received my new Bonna baby Alto case and it’s wonderful! Super compact and protective. I was a little worried about the slide going under the horn in the same compartment, but it’s really secure, separated and padded.

Best part is there’s plenty of room for the huge Bb attachment. MB cases are definitely expensive, but you can’t go wrong with this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accessories”