Denis (one “N”) Wick?

Bach5G

Denis (one “N”) Wick?

Post by Bach5G »

I was at my repairman’s shop a couple of days ago having some minor maintenance performed. He scandalously undercharged for his work and I somewhat guiltily ended up buying a Denis Wick cup/straight mute and some rotor oil that he recommended.

Inside the box was a flyer from the Wick Corp that said this sort of thing:

“Denis Wick cup mutes have perfect intonation ...the trombone and bass models have absolutely no bad notes” (trumpets and corners are sol I guess

On trb mpcs: “There is a characteristic clarity, warmth and beauty of sound which no other maker has been able to match. Intonation and flexibility have been brought to a state of perfection which has helped create the highest standard of trombone playing ever...” (Ever!)

The 0AL is described as “Super-large for strong advanced players” and “similar to a Schilke 59/60 VB 1G”. (The published specs have it a little smaller than a 1 1/4.)

I’m playing some 1 1/4 - sized mpcs these days, trying to decide between them. The Wick has its virtues, especially after I got used to the shape of the rim. It can do dark without much cost to range and flexibility.

Generally, I don’t see a lot of Wick-love in these parts. What do y’all think of the Wick line?
Last edited by Bach5G on Sun May 26, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: Denis (one “N”) Wick?

Post by BGuttman »

I play a Wick 4BL on my symphonic tenor, a 4BS on my Bach 36, and keep a 4BL in the bag with my bass in case I need to cover tenor parts.

Up until I got my Doug Elliott tenor setups I played Wick for about 15 years.

Never had an opportunity to try the Wick bass sizes, though.

Also use Wick cups on both tenor and bass. Note; the tenor has a "bad note" down at D below the bass staff. Haven't found the one on the bass mute.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Good mutes, especially if you need one for alto.

Mouthpiece design is way behind the times, but that doesn't mean they aren't the best choice for many people/settings.

We all owe a lot to Denis Wick, the person.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I'm on my third DW 9BS mp, I've never cared much for their smaller pieces but this one just works. The next larger size 7CS feels too "splatty" and the high range is unbalanced on my small horns.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:36 pm Good mutes, especially if you need one for alto.

Mouthpiece design is way behind the times, but that doesn't mean they aren't the best choice for many people/settings.

Can you explain?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:24 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:36 pm Good mutes, especially if you need one for alto.

Can you explain?
Most of them were designed 40, 50+ years ago. Not to say they can't be good (like old Bachs, for instance), but things have moved on a bit.

I have 6 Wicks in my drawer right now... not using any of them.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Okay, but what do you mean by "things have moved on a bit" in terms of mouthpiece design? Size-wise, certainly one would not now describe a 1 & 1/4-size mpc as "super large". And it's not zirconium or titanium, I get that.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 pm
Bach5G wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Can you explain?
Most of them were designed 40, 50+ years ago. Not to say they can't be good (like old Bachs, for instance), but things have moved on a bit.

Bachs were designed some 80-90 years ago, yet we still play them.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:48 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Bachs were designed some 80-90 years ago, yet we still play them.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Bach5G wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:24 pm Can you explain?
Sure! The designs, other than the classic blank, all favor very heavy mass around the base of the cup and in some cases around the top as well. This was moderately popular in the late 90s when trombones were just getting heavier and heavier and bigger and bigger and playing was getting louder and louder. There is still a place for that. Monette heavily capitalized on the concept as well, and you can still buy a Megatone from Bach ... but I've never even seen one of those in real life.

The Wick classic designs are good but you get what you get as far as rims, backbores, and cup shapes go -- they either work or they don't. But any mouthpiece is like that.

I don't see many people playing excessively heavy mouthpieces these days. Doesn't fit what most players are going for any more. I hesitate to talk about the large diameter, small cup phenomenon (or narrow diameter, deep cup), but I believe that is where modern design is at, and the Wick shop is not making or designing those. You can fit a mouthpiece to your face and have it do whatever you want, these days.

FWIW, Wick's 4AL was built out of what was considered a bass trombone/euph mouthpiece back in the 60s, so he was trying to do the same thing ... but he basically stopped at the 4AL size because it worked for him. Rims seem to be getting bigger ... or at least more customized, and cups smaller and differently countoured to fit the rim. So ... yeah, Wicks are a bit old fashioned in that they are sticking to old tried and true designs (classic blank) that have limited designs per rim diameter and are heavily invested in overly heavy mouthpieces outside of the classic line.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Thanks Harrison. That was helpful. Interesting food for thought.
blast

Post by blast »

The Wick 'classic' outer with the thin rim and long and rounded outer is based on a 1920's design by Hawkes, the best British maker of the day. The 'modern' original series was Denis' own design. More modern than Bachs and Schilkes. My up-to-the-minute Zirconium Symington is a copy of a Mt Vernon Bach that is almost 70 years old... with my take on the rim. I don't see the Wicks as particularly old fashioned.... just different. None except the rare 'heavy top' are heavy.

Chris
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

blast wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:11 pm The Wick 'classic' outer with the thin rim and long and rounded outer is based on a 1920's design by Hawkes...
Chris
This is, I think, the "Heritage" model (as distinguished from his "Classic" and his "Heavy Top" models).
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I have a Denis Wick DW5533 Bass Trombone Cup Mute (with adjustable cup), and a "50th Anniversary" (gold-anodized aluminium) DW5505G Tenor Trombone Straight Mute. Both very nice pieces that seem to allow me to play in tune.

My favorite Wick trombone mouthpieces are gold-plated "Classic" series tenor pieces for small tenor: 12CS for small-bore and 7CS for small-medium bore (both provided by friends who no longer play small-bore tenors ;) ). These don't seem to me to be very far "behind the times" — but then I'm an old (and probably old-fashioned, out-of-date) guy! :idk:
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I love my Wick 3 cornet mouthpiece, gets that British brass band sound I go for better than anything else. I have a few Wick mutes as well (euph travel, bass and tenor adjustable cups, tenor straight) and I love them all.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Denis Wick mouthpieces are the best production design MP. I used them until I changed to Doug Elliot's.

I still use my Denis Wick mouthpiece on my F150.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Accessories”