best way to pack for shipping

Harpcat

best way to pack for shipping

Post by Harpcat »

I know that some of you guys buy and sell lots of horns so you must know something about how to ship a trombone. What's the best way to pack a horn. I'm planning on using an SKB case with a King 3B.
Thanks,
Jay
norbie2018

Re: best way to pack for shipping

Post by norbie2018 »

The instrument should not shift around in the case; allowing it to shift could cause damage when the box is dropped. I don't mean if either - rough having of the package is a certainty. Use bubble wrap to make it snug inside the case.

You can use brown wrapping paper to fill the box/surround the case. I'm thinking of the kind used to wrap cheese, meats, etc. Or look at the local uhaul store for their newspaper wrap. Bundle the stuff up and fill the gaps. Don't overdo it - you want the case snug but you didn't want the box bulging.

Hope this helps!
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Best suggestion I have is to orient the packing and label so that the bell points up away from the floor!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I bubble wrapped a 3B-F inside the case and bubble wrapped the case inside the box. It got damaged. UPS's insurance wouldn't pay, saying "A minimum of two inches of cushioning is required and up to four inches for fragile objects."
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Unless you have a huge box, it's actually safer to ship without a case, wrapping the bell and slide in lots of bubble wrap so there actually is 2-4 inches cushion around all parts inside the box.

I'm thinking about that for a horn I have to ship now.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've shipped with and without cases many times now. No movement is key.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

No movement is key, yes!

If no box: Wrap it in a lot of bubble wrap (bell and slide section separated). Some kind of foam around the bell wire also helps. Fill the box halfways with packing chips, put the horn in, push the chips a little around so there is still cushion below, but also besides. Fill the rest of the box with packing chips.

Sent several horns around the world. Never had a problem.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Any ideas for cheap packing materials?

I just shipped a horn, today actually, and it cost $20 just to buy a proper sized box and peanuts from UPS. The women even gave me a bunch of recycled peanuts to fill the box completely. Between $20 in materials and $55 for shipping it ended up costing a lot more than I expected.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have a box store near me and pay pretty high prices for shipping materials, but lower than you would at UPS.

I also only ship through USPS, which is almost always cheaper and has good insurance.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

JLivi wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:56 pm Any ideas for cheap packing materials?

I just shipped a horn, today actually, and it cost $20 just to buy a proper sized box and peanuts from UPS. The women even gave me a bunch of recycled peanuts to fill the box completely. Between $20 in materials and $55 for shipping it ended up costing a lot more than I expected.
Yeah, finding the right sized box can be hard!
I never did it, but I think it would also be possible to use empty plastic bottles as packing material.

I saw once a trumpet in case shipped that way: Secure trumpet in case (no moving possible). Tape empty plastic bottles all around the case. Make sure this construction can't move in the box. Finish. Cheap.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Put one of these in the bell, and cut it to size to restrict movement. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasis-Ideal-Fl ... B006W8P3EC
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

And put the shipping address in several places on the outside of the box. Also put it on the case, and if you wrap the case in bubble wrap on the outside of the bubble wrap. Sometimes the shipping label is damaged, but if the box is in the carrier’s system it will still deliver if it has a shipping address.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I found a box at the U-Haul store I used to successfully ship a trombone in the cast a few years back. They have them in 12x12x48 and 15x15x48, Based on my last experience, I would get the bigger box, use lots of peanuts or foam between the box and the t-bone case.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Kingfan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 am I found a box at the U-Haul store I used to successfully ship a trombone in the cast a few years back. They have them in 12x12x48 and 15x15x48, Based on my last experience, I would get the bigger box, use lots of peanuts or foam between the box and the t-bone case.
That's exactly what I did. $15 for the 15"x15"x48" box and $5 for a tiny bag of packing peanuts. Then a free garbage bag of peanuts that the UPS lady said was "recycled."

The box was great because I could really easily cut the corners to fold the top down to turn the 48" box to a 36" box. I just wish it wasn't $15 for a freaking box!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Harpcat

Post by Harpcat »

Thanks, everyone!
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Those foam pool noodles (available in some dollar stores) work great for immobilizing the trombone inside the case, and they are easy to cut to size. Be sure to put a piece inside the bell. If you see those styrofoam boxes for shipping meat by the curb, pick up the lids because they can be used to wedge between the sides of the box and the case. I've also used empty cereal boxes filled with peanuts and taped shut.

Return to “Accessories”