Fitting the 3B/F in an SKB 360

Burgerbob

Fitting the 3B/F in an SKB 360

Post by Burgerbob »

I recently got a really, really nice early 3B/F bell section to replace my Silversonic. However, there are no good cases to fit this size instrument- the only options are cases meant for .547s or gig bags. I like to have a case as small as possible, so I bought this cheap SKB 360 to modify.

Of course, the problem with the 3B/F is that there are tubes and a valve spindle on the left side, and a lever on the right side of the bell section. The 360 (and all equivalent cases) don't account for that! So out comes the knife.

It's hard to show, but it was pretty easy to to- I marked out the space taken up by the F wrap on the left side of the bell. Then I simply cut the soft material and peeled it away from the foam. After I had all the soft material away, I found the correct depth I needed to remove (probably like 3/4 of an inch) and cut away the white closed-cell foam in that area. Simply put the soft material back in place and you almost can't tell!

The valve spindle is another issue. I marked this spot out and spent a while digging away at the foam, much more removal needed here. You can see the white foam poking through.

The other large issue is the valve paddle. On the 360, the slide door is a wood core with the soft material. The paddle needs to go through that wood. Good thing I have a knife!

Now, it looks scary- I had to cut all the way through the wood, exposing a slide tube underneath. But I checked this dozens of times- the paddle arrangement has plenty of clearance to the slide tube, probably a half inch. If the slide tube and paddle come together, the case has undergone something pretty harsh anyway!

Here's the bell section in the case.

What's neat is that even with foam cut out, there is no degradation in protection for a straight horn. Don't mind the dent (my fault), but my 16M fits fine with no parts touching the missing foam.

Look, the case even closes!

I'm not sure many people need to to this, but it sure is handy to have the ultra-versatile 3B/F in a nice, small case.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kingfan

Re: Fitting the 3B/F in an SKB 360

Post by Kingfan »

Nice mod!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Lack of good cases for small/medium F attachment horns is annoying. What do you do for a 36? Best solution I found was the Gard bag (now home to a Benge) but it's bigger than my Bonna bass case and the straps are meh.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I use a JW Eastman case for my 88H. It fits my 3bF with no problem. I think it’s a pretty small hard case. If anyone can find one.
96569045-035C-45C7-82A2-536B53024C74.jpeg
93572F72-4B17-4288-A594-4C6F16590647.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The Eastman isn't a bad case, but is way, way, way bigger than the 360.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I guess I shouldn’t compare it to a King coffin case for size estimate. :D
Steve
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

spencercarran wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 am Lack of good cases for small/medium F attachment horns is annoying. What do you do for a 36? Best solution I found was the Gard bag (now home to a Benge) but it's bigger than my Bonna bass case and the straps are meh.
I keep mine in a Giardinelli leather bag that's about the right size... doesn't feel like it's banging around inside. But that's my only option at the moment, the 36 is annoying like that!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

sacfxdx wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:02 pm I guess I shouldn’t compare it to a King coffin case for size estimate. :D
Yup, when that's the competition... the Eastman definitely wins!!
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

Aidan,

I have the newer carbon fiber looking King case for a 3B and my 3b+/F fits in that great with no mods and is small, lightweight overall, and has backpack straps. The mod that you did looks good too though!
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

EOlson9 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 pm Aidan,

I have the newer carbon fiber looking King case for a 3B and my 3b+/F fits in that great with no mods and is small, lightweight overall, and has backpack straps. The mod that you did looks good too though!
Those are sweet cases! But they are expensive and a fair amount larger than the 360. Otherwise I'd definitely get one.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I got to check out the new 3B case, which is made to fit 3BFs as well. Really, a great package overall.
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

I REALLY like that case. So glad I have one with my 3B.
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
stjones

Post by stjones »

I just got a 3b+/f that came in a pretty ratty protec case. Where can you get the King cases? Thank you.
afugate

Post by afugate »

stjones wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:00 pm I just got a 3b+/f that came in a pretty ratty protec case. Where can you get the King cases? Thank you.
Horn Guys in Calif carries them.
https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... one-case-1

--Andy in OKC
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That's a fantastic mod. I'm sporting a YSL356...frankenhorn at the moment. It's closer in size to the large bores so this is less of an issue for it... but I've been using the newish ProTec PLATINUM SERIES(!) gig bag and quite like it. It's bigger but it isn't bulkier if that makes sense. I like the Eastman cases too but they kind of jostle on your back. Small, hard cases are lightweight, but in this case (pun intended har har har) you only have the shoulder strap so I find it kind of has a mind of its own when I'm carrying a bunch of other stuff. The slightly larger gig bag is good for this size, isn't too expensive (although they're around $80 more now than what I paid), and stays pretty securely where you want it to when you're carrying. Worth checking out for sure though there's definitely something to be said for the little small bore cases like this.
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:03 pm
spencercarran wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 am Lack of good cases for small/medium F attachment horns is annoying. What do you do for a 36? Best solution I found was the Gard bag (now home to a Benge) but it's bigger than my Bonna bass case and the straps are meh.
I keep mine in a Giardinelli leather bag that's about the right size... doesn't feel like it's banging around inside. But that's my only option at the moment, the 36 is annoying like that!
Pulling up an old thread but does your Bach 36 fit in the skb 360 case?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Aznguyy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:28 am does your Bach 36 fit in the skb 360 case?
nope, bell section and slide are both too wide
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

ithinknot wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:31 am
Aznguyy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:28 am does your Bach 36 fit in the skb 360 case?
nope, bell section and slide are both too wide
:clever:

Return to “Accessories”