Electroplating

RMCarson

Electroplating

Post by RMCarson »

Any recommendations for technicians to strip and electroplate?

Does the electroplated material and/or color affect the sound?
BGuttman

Re: Electroplating

Post by BGuttman »

Are you talking about mouthpieces or whole instruments?

I've never seen the mouthpiece plating to make a difference in sound. Variations in manufacture make a bigger difference.

If you are looking to plate an entire instrument, that can become somewhat pricey. And stripping lacquer from a King or Yamaha is very difficult.

There is a subtle difference between a lacquer coating versus a silver plate (or bare brass). The plated or bare brass bell tends to be slightly brighter in tone.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RMCarson

Post by RMCarson »

Thanks for replying, Bruce. I am considering stripping an old Conn Pan American with a finish that is in bad shape. Looking at electroplating as an option instead of relacquering. It appears that Nils Langren electroplated his Yamaha and if I recall Allen Vizzuti played an electroplated Yamaha trumpet at one time. I am seeking to have one horn set up to play effects if called upon, rather than messing with one of my standard horns. Thought I might also make it look better.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

What are you thinking "electroplating" is? It is not done for "special effect", and really doesn't change the sound "that" much.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
RMCarson

Post by RMCarson »

My understanding is that various metals (e.g., nickel) combined with a pigment are adhered to the raw brass. I expect the effect is primarily or only visual.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It's mroe expensive than lacquering and I wouldn't sink much money into a Pan American but the process woudl make it look nicer if that is your primary end goal.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Matt K wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:37 am It's mroe expensive than lacquering and I wouldn't sink much money into a Pan American but the process woudl make it look nicer if that is your primary end goal.
I think it would be as permanent as it is possible to get, barring the need for repair. It stays shiny (or whatever finish you chose) and is resistant to corrosion or abrasion.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If the plating isn't lacquered over, it's just as vulnerable as an unplated horn to those types of things +/- the resistance of what you choose to have it plated in to those things. I had a tuning slide plated not too long ago that had a really nice patina, but a patina nonetheless.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You can't electroplate a pigment. You can electroplate a metal or several metals (alloy). Things like rose gold and green gold are gotten with alloys; generally in the 14 karat range. Different metals can also have a different color. You could tell the difference in "silver" color between silver, nickel, cobalt, or platinum.

I'd avoid putting a lot of money into plating a Pan American. If you are looking for something odd, Woodwind and Brasswind used to offer "School Colors" lacquer. You can get an interesting color finish. I happen to have a Venus trombone that has blue lacquer, but I have no idea who did the lacquer job. Fun horn to take outdoors Christmas caroling.

For what it's worth, nobody is going to see a crappy lacquer job on a slide, but a crappy finish on the bell will show. If the only thing wrong with your horn is the slide I'd just leave it as is.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Modification & Repair”