Bb / F Thumb Lever

walldaja

Bb / F Thumb Lever

Post by walldaja »

I have a Yamaha YBL-421G and the rod Yamaha provides for actuation of the rotor seems pretty primitive in comparison to the Xeno models (YSL-882O as an example). The Xeno's have a broad contact piece they call a "lever adjusting plate" in the illustrated parts breakdown. Found the IPB on the Yamaha site but you need to be a dealer to order parts--go figure, I'm going to order all the parts for a complete horn and put it together and undersell a local dealer. I've asked my local Yamaha dealer to order the parts (lever and jam screw) so I can put it on my YBL-421. Not sure why Yamaha doesn't put them on their intermediate level horns, the parts certainly can't be expensive.

Actually the paddle (or lever adjusting plate) on my intermediate Courtois looks a lot nicer than Yamaha's one on the Xeno but I haven't stumbled on a Courtois IPB yet.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
brassmedic

Re: Bb / F Thumb Lever

Post by brassmedic »

walldaja wrote: ↑Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm I'm going to order all the parts for a complete horn and put it together and undersell a local dealer.
🤔
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'm a little confused by what you are asking for. Are you selling the 421... used? Which is somehow undercutting your local dealer (you mentioned for the part so you can put it on the 421) but you also mentioned ordering a complete horn worth of parts which obviously wouldn't make sense if you are fixing up your 421.

In either case, Yamaha is very interesting. Some parts you'd expect to be expensive are actually quite cheap (I ordered a replacement slide crook a few months ago for like $10; a ~$300 part if I recall from Shires). Other parts that you'd expect to be cheap are absurdly expensive and from what my local tech told me, the rotors are basically impossible to get and if you do get them they cost a small fortune. Other parts are just simply 'not available'. So if your expectation is truly to order an unassembled trombone from Yamaha and then piece it together and sell it.... you might have to get creative with sourcing a number of parts. Often times little pieces like that are unavailable from Yamaha too fwiw.

I wish it weren't so; I'd love to have the YBL830 F and G linkages on my bass. Or at least the F one. I love the action on those.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Matt K wrote: ↑Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 am I'm a little confused by what you are asking for. Are you selling the 421... used? Which is somehow undercutting your local dealer (you mentioned for the part so you can put it on the 421) but you also mentioned ordering a complete horn worth of parts which obviously wouldn't make sense if you are fixing up your 421.
Sarcasm, guys, sarcasm. Commonly used in internet forums. He's obviously not going to order a bunch of parts retail and undercut a dealer, maybe he should have added "as if" or a smiley.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

hyperbolica wrote: ↑Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 am Sarcasm, guys, sarcasm. Commonly used in internet forums. He's obviously not going to order a bunch of parts retail and undercut a dealer, maybe he should have added "as if" or a smiley.
Not commonly worded in a bizarre way. "As if"... would have been good. I also would have accepted "Like"...
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Modification & Repair”