Greenhoe Bell threads

trombeuph

Greenhoe Bell threads

Post by trombeuph »

Hi Guys,
I would like to adapt my 42 Bell to my Greenhoe tenor.
Does anyone know, where I can get those Bell mountings? Or are there some other Makers /aftermarket Makers, who are making them? Hopefully for a resonable price....
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your Help!

Gabriel
Bonearzt

Re: Greenhoe Bell threads

Post by Bonearzt »

I believe the threads for the main disconnect braces are 1/2-32 and are available from Instrument Innovations.

You would need to modify the front and rear bell side brace flanges on the Bach bell to accept the Greenhoe threaded nut and brace assembly.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I did this to 4 different Bach bells--three 42 bells and a 36 bell. Mike and Kim at Instrument Innovations actually made a threaded post that fits Greenhoe. It is listed on their site as a modified radius threaded post for large detachable brace post assembly. In fact the Bach Artisan bell flanges will accept Greenhoe threads, but the threaded posts might be a tad short for a perfect fit. That's why Mike made the larger posts for me.. Hope this helps..
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

AFAIK they are the same as OE Thayer/instrument innovations/Edwards... Someone could correct me though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:42 pm AFAIK they are the same as OE Thayer/instrument innovations/Edwards... Someone could correct me though.
See above
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Thayer is the correct threading but is too short. Not sure about Edwards.
Sebcote

Post by Sebcote »

I'd like to know if a Bach 42 bell that came from a Bach with a Greenhoe valve will fit on my Schilke/Greenhoe trombone (GC4). My guess is that the braces didnt change over time and should be aligned. But what about the tuning slide receiver at the top of the bell... Will it fit ?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Sebcote wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 am I'd like to know if a Bach 42 bell that came from a Bach with a Greenhoe valve will fit on my Schilke/Greenhoe trombone (GC4). My guess is that the braces didnt change over time and should be aligned. But what about the tuning slide receiver at the top of the bell... Will it fit ?
The diameter of the tuning slide? Bach parts of all generations in that size fit. Seriously, from the '40s to almost current, I have had no issues on main tuning slide diameters (36/34/42 and 50s).

Span of the tuning slide... well, those are not all plug-n-play; and this can affect the needed threaded stud length.

Also, not sure it came from Bach with a Greenhoe; probably came from Greenhoe as a built Bach. Think that's how the arrangement worked there, different than some of the Conns that came with a Greenhoe from Eastlake.

Cheers,
Andy
Sebcote

Post by Sebcote »

Thanks for the info!
Do you think that the Greenhoe valve section came with a Greenhoe-made main tuning slide or they modified the original Bach one? If its a Greenhoe it should be pretty similar to what I have now and could fit. But my feeling is that having a perfect fit with that 42 bell on my GC4 is almost impossible...
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It will have a Bach receiver if it's a 42 bell.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

WI GH Bach's we're built using Bach factory parts, in the GH shop. So yes, the top tuning slide tubes are the same dimension as factory Bach spec.

No instruments with the GH valve section were made by either Conn (Eastlake) or Bach (Elkhart)

For the Conn Project 88HT, parts were purchased from CS, assembled in the GH shop, then sold back to CS. A slide and case were put together with a bell and sold through CS dealers.

GH Bach's we're similar, factory Bach parts were purchased from CS, assembled in the GH shop,and sold direct to customers. Not sold through CS dealers.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hornbuilder wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:38 pm WI GH Bach's we're built using Bach factory parts, in the GH shop. So yes, the top tuning slide tubes are the same dimension as factory Bach spec.

No instruments with the GH valve section were made by either Conn (Eastlake) or Bach (Elkhart)

For the Conn Project 88HT, parts were purchased from CS, assembled in the GH shop, then sold back to CS. A slide and case were put together with a bell and sold through CS dealers.

GH Bach's we're similar, factory Bach parts were purchased from CS, assembled in the GH shop, and sold direct to customers. Not sold through CS dealers.
Thanks for the clarification, Matthew. I've been curious about this!

Return to “Modification & Repair”