Edwards/ Getzen 2nd Valve Comfort

GBP

Edwards/ Getzen 2nd Valve Comfort

Post by GBP »

I have never liked how Edwards/Getzen have set up the second valve lever. I like how Greenhoe and Edwards 502i have the 2nd valve lever positioned. I think it could be the design in combination with the paddle. I should probably take it to a tech and see what they can do, but figured I can’t be the only one who has found the setup somewhat uncomfortable. What have some of you done to improve the position of the lever?
BurckhardtS

Re: Edwards/ Getzen 2nd Valve Comfort

Post by BurckhardtS »

To be completely honest, I have not found a single bass trombone 2 valve setup that I have ever found comfortable. I almost have to play with a brace on to feel even remotely comfortable playing two valves.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Seems like you answered your own question. Take it to a tech.

Andrew
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I continue to be astonished that so many people try to adapt their bodies to the instrument rather than to adapt the instrument to their bodies -- particularly in the cases of things like better hand support or lever position where minor modifications can make such a big difference in playing comfort and performance. Maybe people are afraid to change the "stock horn" in case they want to sell it at some point, and so endure years discomfort and degraded playing?

Of course, it may take some time and experimentation to get it just right instead of an attempt at a one-time fix.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

This is wild. I have large hands and add a brace to the slide. Like a Rube Goldberg project. But is works well for me. I did it before many second valves were as they are now. Images are in my profile.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3 ... VrZ0k/view
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I have relatively small hands. For me the biggest changes were removing the finger ring under the mouthpiece receiver and putting a finger hook (actually intended for a French horn) on the other (forward) side of the brace. Then altering the second valve lever so I could adjust it and lengthen/shorten it without bending the whole lever itself. Turned a painful experience into a very pleasant and playable horn with great balance in the hand. Also a bullet brace, of course.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
GBP

Post by GBP »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 am Seems like you answered your own question. Take it to a tech.

Andrew
My question was what have others had done to their horns to improve comfort, not who did the work.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

Are you asking specifically what people have done to the Edwards/Getzen setup? Or any split trigger setup?
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

GBP wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 am
TheBoneRanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 am Seems like you answered your own question. Take it to a tech.

Andrew
My question was what have others had done to their horns to improve comfort, not who did the work.

Ok then. This time I shall be explicit.

With my Edwards, after deciding I didn't really like the 2nd valve lever geometry, I thought to myself...
GBP wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 pm I should probably take it to a tech and see what they can do
...so I took it to my tech to see what he could do.

Upon his advice, we applied a little heat to bend a lever, and came up with a custom paddle for the 2nd valve.

Andrew
GBP

Post by GBP »

Backbone wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm Are you asking specifically what people have done to the Edwards/Getzen setup? Or any split trigger setup?
Any setup similar would be helpful. Thanks.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Take it a tech. Have it bent or cut. The stock setup is garbage like on a stock Bach 50B3.

I had like a full 2-3 inches (if I remember right) cut on the second valve lever on my 1062FDR. It was unusable for me before I got it cut.

The old stock Gb paddle looks funky at first but I find it to be one of the most comfortable paddles out there. You can change the angle of it, flip it around backward or move it pretty drastically up and down the lever rod to find a comfortable spot for it.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I don't really understand why virtually all of the stock paddles for 2nd valves are so large. I THINK it's an attempt to provide a larger "one size fits all" area that's more usable by more players, but it's a dreadful solution to that. To my mind, you want a smaller paddle (or none at all, and rather just the rod end, possibly flattened). And about 2" is what I cut off the rod on my 7B clone -- and sleeved a shorter rod on it with the paddle (a coin) soft-soldered to it. A paddle that's almost the size of a quarter is really silly.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

I recently had my 50B2 rebuilt with the Instrument Innovations axial valves, and it's now very similar to the Edwards B454-V-E configuration they currently have listed. My tech used the Instrument Innovations adjustable F lever for the first valve linkage, which has a built in mounting point for the Ax Handle brace rods. I've used an Ax Handle/Bullet Brace type support for years, which has helped a lot.

In addition to the Ax Handle, with this "new" horn I switched to a different left hand grip, like what Douglas Yeo has documented on his website, and those two things have made an enormous difference in left hand/wrist comfort. I'll include a link to Mr. Yeo's article below. I understand that your post didn't mention anything about pain or discomfort, but these changes have worked for me. Best of luck in your search!

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/fa ... nsion.html

Return to “Modification & Repair”