Loose leadpipe

RoscoTrombone

Loose leadpipe

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Hey folks, I've recently received my new leadpipe which is a press fit.

The ones that came with the bone have a clever top which screws in so it's totally secure but this is just the ring at the top.

This may seem like a daft question but is there anything I can do to make the fit a bit more snug? There's a bit of wriggle room & I can feel it moving sometimes when I'm playing.

Cheers,

Ross
ghmerrill

Re: Loose leadpipe

Post by ghmerrill »

Teflon plumber's tape -- one (or so) turns just under the ring. Everyone uses it.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Thanks for that Gary, it's been added to my to do list for today!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Another option is to have a tech solder a little ring around the top and the file it down until it fits more snugly. I had a COnn 36 with a Shires ring that a tech filed down for me. That is actually now my favored configuration because its pretty snug but will never get totally stuck like the threads will.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Trying to visualize that solution (which sounds like a good and more permanent one). Is this ring ABOVE the threads -- so you could still use the threads on other horns, for example? Or does it make the threads non-functional?
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

ghmerrill wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 am Trying to visualize that solution (which sounds like a good and more permanent one). Is this ring ABOVE the threads -- so you could still use the threads on other horns, for example? Or does it make the threads non-functional?
Actually, you could do exactly what I did now that I think about it. Shires sells the collars for like $20. Basically look at a Shires leadpipe. You have the ring around the top that sits slightly outside the normal collar (the outer diameter of it is outside tube that accepts the leadpipe itself, so it can't go in farther than it should and it also is easy to remove that way). This would prohibit you from using the threads entirely, which for this particular horn would be okay since it doesn't have them. Basically the tech will file the threads down so that the leadpipe fits another .25" or so into the slide but it is flared from where the now filed down threads are up through the ring. Not sure if there's a better way to visualize it unfortunately and I also don't have the horn but maybe I can post a picture of what I mean later.

But yeah, the benefits are that it's not wobbly at all and still comes out if you want it to. But the downsides are that you no longer have the original threads.

Another option is to buy a threaded cork barrel and the threads themselves. It actually doesn't cost that much. I've had it done a few times and it's like ~$150 all said and done.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Matt K wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am
But yeah, the benefits are that it's not wobbly at all and still comes out if you want it to. But the downsides are that you no longer have the original threads.
That's what I was wondering about. A number of people just file the threads off if they don't care about ever using them again.
Another option is to buy a threaded cork barrel and the threads themselves. It actually doesn't cost that much. I've had it done a few times and it's like ~$150 all said and done.
I'm not all that much enamored with the idea of threaded lead pipes -- though I've never had one. Just don't see the advantage. Press fit works very well, is easy to move from horn to horn, and can be adjusted for fit with simple means (not involving more than a couple dollars expense). Maybe if threading was standardized across brands/models I'd have a different view.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I use blue masking tape for press-fit leadpipes...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Modification & Repair”