Bass rotary valve spindle cover

aaronhynds

Post by aaronhynds »

Hello, all!

As the title says, I was wondering if.anyone had experience with fashioning or using a cover for the spindle on a rotary valve, especially on a double valve bass trombone. I play a Yamaha 613H, and the second valve spindle (which is oriented vertically when in playing position) occasionally gets caught on either my collar bone/shoulder area or my shirt collar. I'm learning to hold the horn in such a way to minimize that issue, but until I build up that muscle memory, I was considering finding or making a cover of some kind. I know that Griego (I think) makes covers for Thayer valves, but I imagine those would be too big for my purposes. Any tips would be appreciated!
pompatus

Re: Bass rotary valve spindle cover

Post by pompatus »

Leather valve covers are fairly common accessories. One of the more popular brands is Leather Specialties Co. Their products can be purchased directly from their website, or from third-party retailers.

Here’s a link to their guard being sold by Hickey’s, that says it’ll fit the Yamaha YBL-613:

https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... cblack.php
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you are looking for something to put over the working end of the rotor valve, you might be able to make something from an old plastic 35mm film can. I did this for my Olds Ambassador with F that had the working side of the rotor against my cheek (mounted upside down from how they normally are). Keeping it in position may require judicious use of tape.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
FrankSox

Post by FrankSox »

Cruising the web today I have noticed that a few british tuba players have had their piston 4th valve replaced with a rotary 4th valve. They claim that it really opens up the lower register. Is it possible?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

FrankSox wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm Cruising the web today I have noticed that a few british tuba players have had their piston 4th valve replaced with a rotary 4th valve. They claim that it really opens up the lower register. Is it possible?
Well, that's one way to pivot from the original thread!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Modification & Repair”