Worn Edwards Bass bell/slide tenon

bassboneman69

Worn Edwards Bass bell/slide tenon

Post by bassboneman69 »

Hello all,

I have an older Edwards B454. Just sent it to the favtory to have the Gb valve checked. The f valve was completely redone last year to correct a compression issue.

The fine folks at Edwards sent me a loaner horn, which is fantastic, might I add! The first thing I noticed about the loaner is how much tighter the connection is at the bell/slide tenon nut. On mine I can’t get it attached firmly enough.

This got me thinking...is it possible there is a leak or loss of compression from that area? Or no!

I love my Edwards! It has worked well for me and I want her to perform as well as she can.

Looking forward to your responses....
pompatus

Re: Worn Edwards Bass bell/slide tenon

Post by pompatus »

Since they already have it for service it probably wouldn’t hurt to mention to them that the slide tenon and bell nut have been slipping, and have them check it over.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

pompatus wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 pm Since they already have it for service it probably wouldn’t hurt to mention to them that the slide tenon and bell nut have been slipping, and have them check it over.
What he said. Its an easy fix.
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

It's a good idea to have it checked out, but as for a loss of compression, I don't think there's much chance that a loose fit at that junction would affect the sound of the horn. Once the nut is locked down, there is a solid mechanical connection there. Even a loose fit at that junction would be about the same as the fit you get where your tuning slide goes together.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

doctortrombone wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:57 pm It's a good idea to have it checked out, but as for a loss of compression, I don't think there's much chance that a loose fit at that junction would affect the sound of the horn. Once the nut is locked down, there is a solid mechanical connection there. Even a loose fit at that junction would be about the same as the fit you get where your tuning slide goes together.
Regardless, there's nothing worse that a loose fitting bell. The cheat is put a strip of tape on the tenon, but it's still not right.

Return to “Modification & Repair”